Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #1
brianshellhart

Changing from 30amp to 50 amp

I have a 2009 keystone cougar I have had my a.c unit serviced and cleaned tech said everything on the AC is good. I keep tripping the breaker. I have moved the lead to a different breaker but still it trips. I am looking to change the power from 30 amp to 50 amp. Need some guidence as in what all i will need (breakers, power supply, new box) and need to know how to go about doing that any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
brianshellhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:00 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would try to figure out why you keep tripping a breaker. To change to 50A service may not fix the issue. What else is on when you trip the breaker?
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:49 AM   #3
Pull Toy

I agree with Chuckster. ^^^

I have several friends with 30 amp service who wanted more "umph". You're looking at a major expense to upgrade your whole rig, when it just might be the combination of appliances in use at the same time. Is the "MAIN" tripping, or just the air conditioning circuit. Some more info would help.

One solution that several have used is a separate heavy duty extension cord straight from the pedistal thru a convenient slide to power a power strip, and the microwave.

Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:00 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

First, the 30A service will have breakers trip if you use the A/C AND the microwave at the same time. The two together have enough amperage draw to trip a breaker frequently. The other normal electrical items in your camper contribute but the microwave is most likely the culprit.

You may also notice that the A/C is on a double breaker next to the microwave which if memory serves is on a 20A breaker. I changed breakers and put the A/C breaker into a pairing with a 15A breaker (I think perhaps the GFI) and cut a hole installed a muffin fan on the front of my power converter to pull more air. Heat contributes to the tripping I theorized. These steps helped but still popped the breaker when the microwave kicked on with the A/C running.

I then removed the positive lead from the microwave breaker and neutral ground lead from the common bar on the converter and installed a marine grade outlet on the back of my camper. When we set up, I install a heavy duty 20A power cable to the outlet and connect it to the pedestal's 20A outlet and haven't popped a breaker since. The mod is relatively easy to do and is much easier than upgrading the converter to 50A.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:24 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If it "keeps tripping the breaker" and the unit checks out good, the first thing I'd do is turn off ALL THE CIRCUIT BREAKERS (this will reset them) and then turn on the MAIN (30 amp) breaker and the A/C (20 amp) breaker. LEAVE ALL THE OTHER BREAKERS OFF and turn on the A/C. If it works properly, without tripping either of the two breakers, then the problem is the additional load you have on the system and you'll need to adjust your "other electrical use"...

If, on the other hand, it trips one of those two breakers, you may have a "weak/defective breaker". They do wear out, get old, start tripping earlier than expected and you may need to replace the "weak/defective breaker".

Changing to 50 amp service requires a new power center, new wiring from the trailer outlet to the power center, a new shore power cord and a "systematic rewiring" of the trailer systems to connect the existing ROMEX to the appropriate side of the new power center so you "balance the load" between the two input lines. You can upgrade and connect everything to one side, and you'll have an additional 20 amps on that side (over what you currently have). That leaves one leg "dead" which means you're only using 1/2 of your new, expensive system.

I wouldn't "upgrade to 50 amps" until I exhausted all the above tests. It may be something as simple as a $5 circuit breaker.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:32 AM   #6
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

If you keep tripping the breaker it could mean the breaker is bad. If you trip them enough times it will make them trip easier. I have a 03 and I dont have a problem running my rig on 30 amps. I can use my microwave and a/c at the same time. My advice is replace the breaker that trips and see if that doesn't solves the problem. Make sure it's a 110 volt breaker and not a 220 volt. They are different.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:09 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshellhart View Post
I have a 2009 keystone cougar I have had my a.c unit serviced and cleaned tech said everything on the AC is good. I keep tripping the breaker. I have moved the lead to a different breaker but still it trips. I am looking to change the power from 30 amp to 50 amp. Need some guidence as in what all i will need (breakers, power supply, new box) and need to know how to go about doing that any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
OK let's start at the beginning. Which breaker is tripping? From the way I read this the breaker for the air conditioner is tripping. If that's the case, what breaker did you "rewire" it to? Was it the same amperage?

What else is drawing 120 vac power? I.e. is the fridge on 120 vac? The water heater on 120 vac? You have less than 30 amps to run on before issues start (80% constant load). With 30 amp service you must be part of the load center by realizing how much load you are asking that 30 amp service to handle. The converter takes amperage and everyting else that has a 120 v option does as well and if you tally all those loads up they will exceed 30 amps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #8
brianshellhart

Ok so the AC was wired to the main. It tripped alot so I took the unit off cleaned the condenser. Had the service fella check the components on the AC made sure all was good with the unit. Moved the wire from the 20 amp main to the 20 amp breaker with the water heater. I don't leave any lights on I dont have anything but 2 fans on while I am at work it trips the breaker non stop nothing is being used my fridge is run off propane my water heater is running off propane only the igniter to light it no using the electric element.. I am in California were its 95 and with no AC about 150 inside. I said screw it bought a new AC and it still trips....fml I don't know maybe new breakers I dont know where to look next. But I work all day not home to run multiple things at one time.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:00 AM   #9
CedarCreekWoody

Which breaker is tripping? The pedestal? Your 30 amp main? The 20 amp A/C breaker?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:06 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

A few thoughts:

Your main should be 30 amps, not 20.
Never wire the a/C to the main.
The a/C should be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
Do not put a/C and water heater on the same circuit, that exceeds 20 amp.
Use water heater on propane when using a/C in the summer.
You should be able to use a/C and microwave at the same time.
Andersen hitch
Old 05-28-2020, 05:12 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Ok so the AC was wired to the main. It tripped alot so I took the unit off cleaned the condenser. Had the service fella check the components on the AC made sure all was good with the unit. Moved the wire from the 20 amp main to the 20 amp breaker with the water heater. I don't leave any lights on I dont have anything but 2 fans on while I am at work it trips the breaker non stop nothing is being used my fridge is run off propane my water heater is running off propane only the igniter to light it no using the electric element.. I am in California were its 95 and with no AC about 150 inside. I said screw it bought a new AC and it still trips....fml I don't know maybe new breakers I dont know where to look next. But I work all day not home to run multiple things at one time.
The AC unit should be on its own 20 amp breaker. The way I read this post is that you have the AC wired to a breaker with something else.
That and on a 30 amp service as stated before you can’t run any other high draw appliance when the AC is running.
So how long does the AC run before tripping? I assume that the tech ran the AC for awhile before stating it was good.
Was the testing do at your site or a shop?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #12
brianshellhart

Ok my 30 main and 20a.c were on the same breaker I switch the hot water which is 20 and the AC which is 20 the hot water was combined with the gfci so the a.c would have more amps to pull from a less used breaker
Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
brianshellhart

First the AC breaker would pop now it is the hot water that pops even with a new ac also the new AC is a dometic brisk II eveything on that this a.m was frozen up does the Styrofoam insulator stay on if i take it off i only get half the blowing power if it is freezing brand new twlls me air flow is a problem
Old 05-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #14
CedarCreekWoody

Sorry but I can't figure out what you are saying. What breaker is tripping? Does your keyboard have punctuation? That would halp.
Andersen hitch
Old 06-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #15
ND1C

AC

I would look for the Line voltage First. Then check for Voltage Drop as you add load. What is the line voltage with Just the AC on? if your trip is when the Compressor starts look into a Micro Air Easy start. That will make the locked compressor surge almost zero. If your problem is from low voltage or a drop this could be a long run to the RV you can help with voltage drop with a product from Hughes https://hughesautoformers.com/ and here is a link from Micro Air https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters remember as line voltage increases the Amp draw goes up, I hope this helps
ND1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #16
don_61760

I'm going to suggest your ac is cycling on after shutting down before the pressure in the compressor has a chance to bleed down. Makes a really hard start. Happens on residential ac often. I believe there are soft start kits you can install that could fix the issue. Don't jump all over me just a suggestion.
don_61760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #17
rlh1957

To change a 30Amp RV to a 50Amp requires rewiring.
If you have a 30A RV with AC and just AC trips a breaker then something is wrong... connection loose, breaker loose. AC issue.
Resolve what is causing overload first.

Note: you can’t run AC, a microwave, elec HW, elec refridgerator, toaster the same time.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:05 AM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
Ok my 30 main and 20a.c were on the same breaker
This sentence alone doesn't make sense. How can the same breaker be 30 amp and 20 amp at the same time? How did you get a rig where the air conditioner was wired to the main breaker, which should technically be impossible because the main breaker doesn't have circuit connections? I'm not sure your understanding of what you have is on target, or that your description of it is reliable. I'm reluctant to give any advice at all for fear I would be advising you incorrectly.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #19
brianshellhart

Ok i have dual breakers. 2 ports per breaker the 30 amp main and 20.amp are part of the same breaker. I have tried to attach pictures but this forum doesnt allow it. I have 3 dual breaker for 6 wires. main, a.c., gfci, microwave, hot water heater, and The CON.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #20
LHaven

The forum does allow photos, and some would really help. Use the "go advanced" button to get to the option for photos and attachments.