Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2020, 05:38 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

On units where the battery cables are black and white instead of the familiar black & red I'd recommend taking some painter's tape and wrap it around the cable close to the battery connector. Take a permanent marker and mark the negative cable with a "-"' and the positive with a "+". It may save those nice new fuses.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #22
RVclaimed

As just having gone through this I think I may have your answer. Your 12v converter box may very well be blown and/or bad. We had the same issues. When we spoke to an RV repair person he told us when the outlets work but nothing else does, 98% of the time, the converter box is bad. It took about 20 minutes for us to put a new converter box in and everything worked as advertised. Sorry for the news, but I hope this gets you going on your road to happy camping!

Ps. We bought a converter box with a receptacle plug instead of the hardwired unit. We cut the plug off and hardwired it in. This unit was half the cost of the its counterpart.

RVclaimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #23
annmarie

We replaced the battery and fuses and all is well again!
annmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #24
RVclaimed

Congrats!

I am glad it wasn’t more than that! Happy Camping!!!
RVclaimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:31 AM   #25
MrRobalo

Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together. I went through this on a 38’ Sportfish boat I was captaining. It took me a while to find the problem much less try to fit myself under the deck just to get to it. Once removed I was looking to buy a marine replacement. Once I found it I also looked for one for a RV on line. I found theM both, same model number but the MARINE one was almost a $100.00 more at same company. Bought the RV one and when I installed it I put it to where I could easily get to it and luckily the wiring bundle was inline with it so installing it was easy. Also. Bought extra fuses for all the boats components
(inverter, AC, Fridge, water heater, in-line @ 4 batteries and 12 volt systems as you don’t want to be in the Bahamas and break down.
My carrier began when I started working for a boat company in the grinding room and ended up being regional sales manager as well as the company captain. Starting at the bottom and working my way up I learned a lot and seems my LAND YACHT is basically the same except like the old saying goes BOAT. Stands for::: Bring On Another Thousand .lol.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:30 PM   #26
Pigman~1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarie View Post
Our travel trailer is plugged into shore power and all of our outlets work but nothing operating on the 12v system works (lights, awning, slide out, water pump, etc).

A little background here... we may be operating off the original owner’s battery which would be 5ish years old now. We probably didn’t store it right from November to April (it just sat- no trickle charging - won’t do that again). When we dewinterized it the battery was working (although our water pump would provide sufficient pressure but then continue at a low hum with an additional hissing sound but never shut off). We plugged it in and it has now been sitting for a couple weeks. Just went back to check on it yesterday and discovered that nothing beside our outlets was receiving power.

Any ideas on what’s going on here or troubleshooting steps? I’m hoping it’s just the battery and not an issue with the converter.

The secondary battery has the following shortcomings, such as low storage energy, short life, series and parallel use problems, use safety, and difficulty in estimating battery power. The performance of batteries is very complex, and the characteristics of different types of batteries vary greatly. The battery management system (BMS) is mainly to improve the utilization rate of the battery, prevent the battery from overcharging and overdischarging, extend the service life of the battery, and monitor the battery status. With the development of the battery management system, other functions will also be added.
Pigman~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #27
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarie View Post
We replaced the battery and fuses and all is well again!
That's great.

Have you tried your AC yet? There is a small fuse in the thermostat that sometimes also blows when you hook up the battery wrong. Easy to replace.

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power