Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
TimandMarilyn

help discovering tire age, etc.

Hello,
Well, we've had our 5th wheel now for almost 2 years and have enjoyed it a bunch!
So, here's my question- we are planning a "big" cross country trip this July, about 3500 miles. So, we bought new in July 2018 and I am worried about the age of the tires. Still looking okay on tread but I've read enough posts on here to be worried that they are getting old. The RV is a 2019, but I know the tires are older than that. I took pictures of everything written on them but can't figure out a "code" for the date. there is an oval with 0818 in it, what does this mean?

And the brand is Trailer King...made in China!

Thanks
TimandMarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #2
TGal

8 month of the year 2018
TGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
TimandMarilyn

can't be, we bought it in July 2018
TimandMarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
TGal

My apologies it was the 8 week of year 2018.
TGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimandMarilyn View Post
Hello,
Well, we've had our 5th wheel now for almost 2 years and have enjoyed it a bunch!
So, here's my question- we are planning a "big" cross country trip this July, about 3500 miles. So, we bought new in July 2018 and I am worried about the age of the tires. Still looking okay on tread but I've read enough posts on here to be worried that they are getting old. The RV is a 2019, but I know the tires are older than that. I took pictures of everything written on them but can't figure out a "code" for the date. there is an oval with 0818 in it, what does this mean?

Thanks

My thoughts? Replace them!! They will be 2 years old in July. You've used them "a lot". They are Trailer Kings made in the infamous Shandong, China plant. Don't risk it.

My TKs were 1 1/2 years old headed out on a big cross country trip. Always kept them inflated properly and run at 65 mph. 50 miles after our departure one of them blew. Looked brand new. Put on the spare and went back home cancelling the trip. Did 7k in damages along with 5 new Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. I went up a load range as well. You may want to look into that as well.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
My thoughts? Replace them!! They will be 2 years old in July. You've used them "a lot". They are Trailer Kings made in the infamous Shandong, China plant. Don't risk it.

My TKs were 1 1/2 years old headed out on a big cross country trip. Always kept them inflated properly and run at 65 mph. 50 miles after our departure one of them blew. Looked brand new. Put on the spare and went back home cancelling the trip. Did 7k in damages along with 5 new Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. I went up a load range as well. You may want to look into that as well.
Keep in mind Danny is rich... owns a spiffy new trailer and spiffy new truck so he can afford those new tires bwhahahaha His advice is likely spot on and the Carlisle tires he mentioned are pretty stout; I have purchased them for every camper I have owned in the past 10 years or so.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Keep in mind Danny is rich... owns a spiffy new trailer and spiffy new truck so he can afford those new tires bwhahahaha His advice is likely spot on and the Carlisle tires he mentioned are pretty stout; I have purchased them for every camper I have owned in the past 10 years or so.

I gave the OP good, firm, knowledgeable, affordable advice that has worked for me and apparently for you. Exactly how does my ownership of a new trailer or truck play into the OPs question about tires other than to try to disparage me....and you know nothing about me?
Old 05-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
notanlines

Run, don’t walk, to the tire dealer and dump the TK’s. They are garbage. Carlyle, Sailun, Goodyear, all good brands.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #9
Gegrad

Yeah, if you are going to head out on a 3500 mile trip this summer I would replace the tires. Carlisle or Sailun seem to be popular choices. You can always sell the old ones to someone just needing tires for a lawn trailer or other small trailer; a set of four should net you $100-150 in return to offset the cost of the new ones. I personally would not head out on a 3500 mile trip with 2 year old Trailer Kings.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I gave the OP good, firm, knowledgeable, affordable advice that has worked for me and apparently for you. Exactly how does my ownership of a new trailer or truck play into the OPs question about tires other than to try to disparage me....and you know nothing about me?
Perhaps you didn't notice the emoticon or the laughing... was a joke and not an attempt to disparage. I agreed with you, as noted.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Perhaps you didn't notice the emoticon or the laughing... was a joke and not an attempt to disparage. I agreed with you, as noted.

Thanks George. I did notice the emoticon and laughing. I fail to understand how a new trailer and truck (and a perceived belief of "rich") warranted comment or has any bearing on my advice on the trailer tires...which you agreed with?? Last comment.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimandMarilyn View Post
Hello,

Thanks
With tires that have sufficient load capacity reserves - when serviced properly - I drive them into the 3rd year. Not very far, just to a convenient place to have it done at the end of their three years of service on my trailer.

Your trailer was built after the RVIA mandate for 10% tire load capacity reserves.

There are ST225/75R15 LRF all steel cased tires at tire retail stores. Just a little extra information if you desire to go higher with your load capacity reserves.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover