Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #21
tanglemoose

We have a new 25rdswe. Bought Jan. 6th love it..
We did look 8nto hardwire one, but service department said not if using generator, they like to kick off... sure wish we would have gotten 30 amp service on ours instead of 50 amp upgrade..

that being said... check drawers under dinette, they are constructed awful... support on two sides, our already broken, And IF you get OTG package get remote switch for inverter!. Doesn't come with...
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:56 PM   #22
rhagfo

We have a hard wired Progressive with remote display.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:49 PM   #23
chunker

I installed the PI hardwired on my Raptor myself. 50 amp version with remote readout. I also installed it before the shore power and generator. That's one of the install options. Easy to install except as John said, working the 6ga wire. Location for mine was easy as the transfer switch was mounted on the front pass-thru wall so the PI was installed just before that. Actually had a TS go bad and wouldn't pass thru generator power. The PI EMS detected the fault. TS replaced under warranty. Don't leave home without one.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #24
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Does any one have any experience or advice of installing a hardwired EMS ?
I will have a 2021 Cougar 25 rdswe in two weeks. I'm fairly handy, especially around electricity. I've only fried one set (ok really two but who's counting) of lineman's pliers in the past ten years.

I believe I'll need an EMS but trying to determine how hard one would be to install vs using a portable type. What are the trade offs (if any) of either type?

In either case, I plan on using a Progressive device. Unless someone out there may have an alternative (better) solution.
If you haven't arced/fried at least one pair of lineman's pliers you can't wear the hard hat. Guys I know count it as an initiation.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:07 AM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
If you haven't arced/fried at least one pair of lineman's pliers you can't wear the hard hat. Guys I know count it as an initiation.
Got the hard hat, the T shirt & had to change my shorts on one of those occasions, thanks to the previous owner mismarking the breakers.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:24 AM   #26
Kevin J

I just bought the PWD30-EPO-h hardwire. I liked it had a bluetooth app which allowed you to meaure power usage. Intend to use this to figure out my first battery bank upgrade needed. $180 from Gander with 10% coupon.

250bhs seems to have wiring ready for EMS hardwire install.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=45902

Portable v hardwire;
- didn't want it stolen or have to buy some lock that could be cut anyway.
- ease of use.
- bluetooth app will probably receive better with the unit in the trailer.
Kevin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Got the hard hat, the T shirt & had to change my shorts on one of those occasions, thanks to the previous owner mismarking the breakers.
To quote a famous president ... "Trust but verify!" I always use a non contact voltage detector before cutting/touching. My shiney wire cutters have been pristine clean, at least this set is after my initiation some 50+ years ago.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #28
Maineiacs

I have a 2 inch common screwdriver that started out life as a 6 inch common! Unfortunate encounter with a domestic electric hot water heater that i was assured had the circuit breaker shut off. Some 40 years ago. Haven't relied on anyone's word since then, doggone screwdrivers are expensive! Not to mention new underware.....
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:23 AM   #29
GoingPlaces

I had a thought the other day that that if I choose to use a hardwired unit, It may become damaged during a large surge (or even malfunction). In my unit, it looks like I'd need to pull the breaker panel out and place the EMS behind it. That job would not be that big of deal at home, but it would be difficult to remove while I'm on the road.

Will bypass mode always work ? Even if the unit is damaged ??
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #30
rhagfo

Quote:
I had a thought the other day that that if I choose to use a hardwired unit, It may become damaged during a large surge (or even malfunction). In my unit, it looks like I'd need to pull the breaker panel out and place the EMS behind it. That job would not be that big of deal at home, but it would be difficult to remove while I'm on the road.

Not sure why it would be harder to remove on the road or at the house? I carry tools and if necessary I can remove the power panel, and EMS if necessary.
We just had the fan motor go out on our furnace, new one on the way. I will pull the furnace and repair “on the road” as we are full time park host.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:49 AM   #31
GoingPlaces

Well a couple things come to mind ... About at home vs road repairs

1 - I guess its more like I'd rather not waste time on vacation messing with stuff. I'd rather be doing fun things.

2- I'd need to take spare parts eg. junction box, cover, wires nuts that I would not normally need to have. And only to have just in case ...

In this particular case we'd be without shore or generator power until a solution was found.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #32
MarkEHansen

I think the possibility of the EMS failing is remote. Even with this risk, I would rather have a hard-wired EMS than a portable version. There are other components in the trailer that if they fail, you're going to have to do some repairs. This is not limited to the EMS.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #33
rhagfo

I agree they work great, best electrical investment yet. Righ now I would buy from Amazon.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #34
Javi

My vote is Progressive and hardwired..

Also, if you don't want to work on stuff on the road you're in for a rude awaking owning an RV... there is a reason they say if you need a hobby get an RV... They also say... An RV is just a hole in the ground into which you shovel money..

I'm the proud owner of the Southwire, but I'm not a fan.. It was all the dealer could get when I purchased it last July.. It is finicky about mounting and you have to buy the remote extra and then install it.. Dealer put mine in wrong and I had to remount it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200912_132142.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	32637  
Old 03-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #35
jasin1

Quote:

I think your a lot like me ..worrying about something that odds are will likely never be a problem...you can probably have that thing removed and reconnected within an hour including gathering all the tools and cussing at the sky for a few minutes
Old 03-24-2021, 12:35 PM   #36
jasin1

Quote:
Well a couple things come to mind ... About at home vs road repairs

1 - I guess its more like I'd rather not waste time on vacation messing with stuff. I'd rather be doing fun things.

2- I'd need to take spare parts eg. junction box, cover, wires nuts that I would not normally need to have. And only to have just in case ...

In this particular case we'd be without shore or generator power until a solution was found.
If you wanted to be creative you could install something like this when you install it to bypass ems if there was a problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A58A7602-DB5E-4DCA-ABA9-6163B316585F.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	32638  
Old 03-24-2021, 01:19 PM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

IMHO if you're concerned about the very remote chance of that happening then you must be loosing sleep over the THOUSANDS of components that could fail on your truck. There's no issue as I see it choosing between a plug in or permanently installed EMS. If that's your reasoning for choosing a portable unit than go for it. IMHO it's not a rational reason to sway me to buy a portable unit. JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #38
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
My vote is Progressive and hardwired..

Also, if you don't want to work on stuff on the road you're in for a rude awaking owning an RV... there is a reason they say if you need a hobby get an RV... They also say... An RV is just a hole in the ground into which you shovel money..

I'm the proud owner of the Southwire, but I'm not a fan.. It was all the dealer could get when I purchased it last July.. It is finicky about mounting and you have to buy the remote extra and then install it.. Dealer put mine in wrong and I had to remount it...

Javi, are the input and out put supported in any fashion other then being screwed down on the terminals? I don't think that is that solid, unless the cables are supported so as not to put strain on the cable terminals.

The progressive unit the connections are in the case, with cable clamps on the outside of the case.

I installed a Progressive EMS-W50C power protection device, mine is also hard wired with a remote display. It just allowed us to find an intermittent 50 amp breaker failure. The EMS would cut power about once a day and then restore, voltage on both legs was acceptable, but a little low at about 111 volts. The unit displayed the reason (PE6) as leg two low voltage below 104 volts. Well after several shutdowns it was determined the breaker was on the verge of failing totally.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...omotive&sr=1-1
Old 03-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #39
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Javi, are the input and out put supported in any fashion other then being screwed down on the terminals? I don't think that is that solid, unless the cables are supported so as not to put strain on the cable terminals.

The progressive unit the connections are in the case, with cable clamps on the outside of the case.

I installed a Progressive EMS-W50C power protection device, mine is also hard wired with a remote display. It just allowed us to find an intermittent 50 amp breaker failure. The EMS would cut power about once a day and then restore, voltage on both legs was acceptable, but a little low at about 111 volts. The unit displayed the reason (PE6) as leg two low voltage below 104 volts. Well after several shutdowns it was determined the breaker was on the verge of failing totally.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...omotive&sr=1-1
Just my opinion but the Progressive is a much better choice. The Southwire must be mounted face down from the ceiling or on its side like I have it. Or it can fail, big sticker on it says so.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #40
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just my opinion but the Progressive is a much better choice. The Southwire must be mounted face down from the ceiling or on its side like I have it. Or it can fail, big sticker on it says so.
Javi, my main question is if the 6/3 with ground cable is supported to structure near the device, or does the terminal screws act as connection and strain relief.