Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2021, 04:48 AM   #1
jasin1

Cold tire inflation

Left Maryland and headed south...checked and adjusted tire pressures before I left,outside temp was in 40’s....... my question is when heading south and outside temperatures are increasing, how does that affect your tires? I would imagine if you stop for the night then when you wake up in the morning,you should check pressures again....what if you were driving straight through? I used to drive from MD to the keys with just a few little stops for fuel and maybe a 20 min nap here and there.... if you have a 40 deg outdoor temp change in 24 hours will that cause you to have overinflated tires or is it too insignificant to worry about?..I know tires pressures and temps increase while driving.
And the same question when heading north.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:38 AM   #2
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Left Maryland and headed south...checked and adjusted tire pressures before I left,outside temp was in 40’s....... my question is when heading south and outside temperatures are increasing, how does that affect your tires? I would imagine if you stop for the night then when you wake up in the morning,you should check pressures again....what if you were driving straight through? I used to drive from MD to the keys with just a few little stops for fuel and maybe a 20 min nap here and there.... if you have a 40 deg outdoor temp change in 24 hours will that cause you to have overinflated tires or is it too insignificant to worry about?..I know tires pressures and temps increase while driving.
Check the next morning after tires cool likely less than a couple pounds difference.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:40 AM   #3
xrated

Quote:
A 40 degree change in ambient temperatures will definitely affect tire pressure. Obviously if the ambient temperature increases, so will your tire pressure....and vice versa. Personally, I would check the tire pressure every morning before travelling for the day, unless there is just a slight change in ambient temperatures....like maybe 5 to 10 degrees change.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:42 AM   #4
notanlines

Generally I would check/set truck/RV tires at about 60 degrees in the morning and never touch them again until one went flat or all four were replaced. Obviously I check pressures before trips, but never would I change pressures when traveling from one part of the country to another. I know of no trucking companies that recommend that from their drivers, nor no OTR drivers that would do it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:33 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I have started out in 40s temps at sea level at end of day 100 f at 5,000 ft.
All that changes PSI. Check and set in morning before moving truck/trailer. Never change when tires are hot, as in driven temps . No matter what cold psi was, driven on them will show higher since they heat up inside when spinning.
I have found 80 psi in morning at 40sf in Portland head to CA and running in 110 to 115 f rear tires at end of day 96 psi in Redding.
I have adjusted air bags during the day when I feel the truck is too darn bouncy. Camping at 5,000 ft cold temps and than across Oregon desert area with temps 100 plus and dropping elevation. The morning 20 psi air bags was near 40 psi. after 5 hours of driving.
Air bags are not tires and have very little air vs the truck tires.
I remember older tires and cold temps in mornings. The tires would have flat spots and the vehicle rode worse than travel over a wash board. In 3-5 blocks they were normal.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:42 AM   #6
jasin1

With all the talk on tires on this forum lately I’ve been giving my tires a sideway glance whenever I walk by....never thought so much about tires in my life
..almost feel like I should shop for tires first and build an rv around them
Old 03-01-2021, 07:15 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
With all the talk on tires on this forum lately I’ve been giving my tires a sideway glance whenever I walk by....never thought so much about tires in my life
..almost feel like I should shop for tires first and build an rv around them
Brian, don't you have a TPMS? I would check it before leaving and set pressure to the "cold inflation" setting if needed. Personally I'm not concerned with a couple of pounds over but if it's several pounds under then I'll top off to the baseline. Unlike running a race car a 1/4 or 1/2 lb. difference isn't crucial.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:17 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Brian, don't you have a TPMS? I would check it before leaving and set pressure to the "cold inflation" setting if needed. Personally I'm not concerned with a couple of pounds over but if it's several pounds under then I'll top off to the baseline. Unlike running a race car a 1/4 or 1/2 lb. difference isn't crucial.
Ok. Yes I have a tpms...been watching intently
Old 03-01-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Ok. Yes I have a tpms...been watching intently
Don't watch intently or you'll likely be testing those tires offroad, like over the shoulder, through a ditch and thru a field.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:27 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Don't watch intently or you'll likely be testing those tires offroad, like over the shoulder, through a ditch and thru a field.