Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
SlowPoke

Backing in...

So I searched here, and the web for tips and videos on backing in with a tow-behind (aka tag-along,trailer...etc) and only found a few references on the tube sites. Most were euro-tubes.

Anyone here have some tips on what TO or NOT to do when backing into a campsite? I assume I'll get pull through to make it easier when possible, but I know it's not always possible. Basically, some hints and tips so I don't look like the village idiot. I don't wanna look across the road, and see fellow campers lined up behind a rope like they are being charged admission to watch my follies. You know it happens!!!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
B&T

Quote:
I don't wanna look across the road, and see fellow campers lined up behind a rope like they are being charged admission to watch my follies.
Heh heh, I know the feeling.

First, put the watchers out of your mind -- you don't need the detraction.

Never rush it, take your time and stop and get out to check your progress.

I personally prefer to do my backing without anyone trying to give me signals -- but I do get out alot to check my progress.

I find backing into a campsite on the left easier than one on the right. Backing into one that slanted is even easier.

Practice is the best teacher -- but always with patience!
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Some hints for you ....
1) Go to an empty mall parking lot and practice. If you have some cones or markers, set them out like the boundary of a campsite.
2) Place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Move your hand in the direction that you want to rear of the TT to go.
3) Try to make small corrections if you can.
4) You may have to pull ahead and re-position yourself until you find the "sweet spot".
5) Be sure you have a good set of mirrors.
6) If you are being assisted by your DW, work out a system of signals - either vocally or by hand/arms. Don't yell or scream at each other. Other campers just love it when they hear this and will gather in droves to listen and watch. Some folks don't want any help from anyone - DW or fellow campers. Have your assistant stand in a place where you can see her/him and also have that person watch for overhead limbs and other obstructions on your blind side or out of view.
7) Try to keep cool and calm. At first, you may find it extremely frustrating and the more worked up you get, the harder the task will become.
8) Everything will come with practice and time. One time you will back in perfectly. The next time everything will go wrong. Be prepared for the good and bad times.
9) Most RVers find it a bit easier to back in when your site is your side - not the passenger side.
10) When you do a good job of backing in, reward yourself with a cool one. When you do a lousy job, have two.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
f6bits

I have an expert hand signaler –*my wife. She watches the blind side while I watch the side that's turned toward me. Though when I take the trailer to storage, sometimes I'm solo.

I find that pulling way past my spot helps, as I have more time to make the turn and make adjustments. Once I'm in and almost close enough, I pull straight out as far as I can and then back it in one last time.

On a good day with my spotter, we can park it right on the first try.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
SlowPoke

Good advice, ya'll....

Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
zuley

It certainly gets easier the more you practice and certainly the more you put your practice into use at a campsite. Something I have always told my wife who is outside making sure I don't whack a tree... If she cannot see me in the mirrors while I'm backing up, I cannot see her either.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #7
MarkS

http://rosserrv.blogspot.com/2010/05...wheel.html?m=1

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #8
SlowPoke

Great response, and helpful tips....

@MarkS - Good info, labelled as use for a 5er, but the info is still good for a tow-behind as well.
@Festus2 - You always sound like ya know what your talking about....thanks!
@B&T - At least I know I'm not alone haha
How many of you disconnect the friction sway bar before backing in? I have been told to disconnect it right away, and by others just when there will be an extreme angle (which most of the time is involved in campsite backing)...Others say leave it on all the time no matter. Which is the correct answer?

Thanks all for the input! (Maybe after all has chimed in, I'll put it into a info sheet with diagrams and store it/link to it on the Google Drive with the New RV owners checklist for all to benefit from)

Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
Bob Landry

One tip that I read a long time ago... When you are backing, put your steering hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move it(your hand) in the direction you want the trailer to go. That eliminates trying to remember which way to turn the wheel under pressure. That said, there's no substitute for "time on the pond". Done enough, it will be second nature. I've backed my Outback into a service bay with 6" on each side, and when we return to the storage facility, I have to back it into a 12' wide slot with a MH on each side of me. When I'm backing into a campsite, all DW does is watch the rear to make sure I don't back into anything and check for overhead obstructions. Also, sometimes the trailer will stat to turn to the wrong direction and you can't recover. Don't be afraid to pull forward and straighten out before you resume backing.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
davidjsimons

Another thing that you have to keenly remember when backing in is to keep a sharp eye on the front of your truck. It is all too easy to get caught up with what you are looking at in your mirrors and then swing your front fender into a tree or something else. Practice and patience will win out at the end of the day. Ignore the spectators and as mentioned, don't be ashamed to get out and look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
KanTC

We learned the 'old-fashioned' way - using hand signals - long before back-up cameras & cell phones.
You've gotten some great tips & suggestions, so the only thing I will add:

Be sure to check/watch OVERHEAD for low limbs & branches... and... don't forget to leave enough space
(from water faucet or electric pedestal) for your slide-out(s) to open.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
azlee56

I just have to say is one tiny, soft suggestion. When your DW says stop, don't question her. My BF did and he hit my brand new car....fortunately it was a credit card size swipe. This lady had to walk off for a minute to get myself together. I was in shock and so was he. He kept saying it looked like I had enough room. The truth of the matter was I jumped out of the moving (slow) to go look and yelled stop and he didn't. ugggg. So just listen and do even if you have to hold your tongue at her.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
SAABDOCTOR

YOU GOT GREAT ADVICE The dw and i have hand signals that we use. and the most important thing is there is no such thing as too slow when backing in. practace is what you need. at one camp ground there was afellow that just did not belive my wife was good enough. he would not stop telling me what to do. i never yell but i mentioned that i had a nervous twitch and noise triggers it. and that i would most like back over him if he did not stop! one qiuck jerk of the wheel and he left i'm so rotten. remember we have all been in your shoes and we have survived. we all have stories to tell. and that's what the camp fire is for... take yoyr time good luck you'll be fine
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
SlowPoke

These are all fine suggestions!! A great help indeed.

I'm thinking I'll have my wife put her bikini and high heels on, and have her strut opposite of where I'm backing in...Surely I'll have less eyes watchin' me and I'll just have my DS's give blind spot hand signals! Then I won't be thinking everyone's watching me lol....

Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
azlee56

haha, if I did that the poor people would learn not to watch others back in, cause they would go sooooo blind! lol
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

If I tried that, everyone would be hiding behind my RV and I'd end up running over someone who was trying to get out of the DW's way... Since we retired, I don't think she even has a pair of High Heels As for the bikini, I do want supper tonight, so I'm saying nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

SlowPoke -
You seem to enjoy posts that are accompanied by photos......I dare you!!

I know better than to ask JRTJH ........ He likes his dinner too much.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
SlowPoke -
You seem to enjoy posts that are accompanied by photos......I dare you!!

I know better than to ask JRTJH ........ He likes his dinner too much.
I don't dare let my wife know I"M EVEN READING THIS..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
azlee56

I'm going to help him out because I do have a pic of his DW in a bikini (my nose is growing).

I want you to know they have some photos I decided I wouldn't even put on here!! yikes, poor betty.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
geo

Azlee56 -

And I was thinking about posting a pic of Kate Upton on her Antarctica SI shoot, then complaining that no one watches me back the fiver. But then I considered that I might get a Permanent Ban ... And get Bob in trouble!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote