Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
golfcarter

Onan generator will not stay running

Okay everyone I have an Onan 5500 generator on a 2007 Raptor, i have gone in and changed all fuel filters, spark plugs and oil.

The generator runs for approxiamately 5 to 7 minutes then shuts down. I have read the manual that states the generator load control board is failing.

Has anybody every changed out one of these and if so would you do it again or hire someone?
golfcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

HI there. first off I hate throwing parts at something so i will ask some questions. when it shuts off, can your restart it imeadiately or must you wait a bit before it starts?. have you done any diagnostics ie if it will not restart right away do you have spark when it cranks? if yes then you may have a fuel issue. ican see the load controler being an issue as it does tie in with ignition. but a part like that will not be returnable if it is not the problem unless you have the nicest parts guy in the world. so give me more info on what it is doing and i will dig up some diagrams and see if i can help
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarter View Post
Okay everyone I have an Onan 5500 generator on a 2007 Raptor, i have gone in and changed all fuel filters, spark plugs and oil.

The generator runs for approxiamately 5 to 7 minutes then shuts down. I have read the manual that states the generator load control board is failing.

Has anybody every changed out one of these and if so would you do it again or hire someone?
I had the same problem, same generator. Only ran for a few minutes, then shut down, and would not start for periods of time. Also showed me different codes. The fuel pump was weak, and would stop pumping enough fuel after a few minutes, sometimes an hour. Priming the pump, always showed fuel being pumped. Here is my story on toy hauling adventures site for the fix, and easy way to change the filter, including part numbers.

http://www.toyhauleradventures.com/2...-pump-problem/
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
JoeofNSB

I have the exact same setup as you do and I have found that ethanol fuel and a slight gumming up of the carb were to blame. Not enough to require a carb overhaul to temporarily solve problem but eventually you will need to do that. The problem comes about after the engine, specifically the choke has warmed up. When you first start the generator the choke supplies extra rich fuel mixture and after the coke opens up the engine is lacking in fuel and dies. If you open the cover to the generator and hold the choke lingage slightly closed you should allow the generator to continue to run. As soon as you release the linkage the generator will stall. This is how I determined the problem for mine. Fixing it did require overhauling the carbeurator. I have also switched to using a non-ethanol fuel with a fuel stabilizer and this seems to help. I hope this helps you diagnose your problem. Good Luck!!!

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
crash

I use seafoam in ours to tread the fuel over the winter and it cleans the system to.pretty good stuff.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

X2 on the Seafoam. I use it in everything including diesel. I stabilizes longer than Stabul and cleans carbs and injectors also.
Consider a malfunctioning low oil shutoff switch as the problem too.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
X2 on the Seafoam. I use it in everything including diesel. I stabilizes longer than Stabul and cleans carbs and injectors also.
Consider a malfunctioning low oil shutoff switch as the problem too.
Hank, I always carry a can, along with an extra filter. When I fished a lot more, it could be a life saver. If there was a need to change filters at sea, I would refill the housing with Sea Foam and re fire on 100% Sea Foam. It is great stuff and a must have item in the survival kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
golfcarter

wow lots of info thanks everyone.

I'm unable to start the generator after it shuts off I can say I have spark because it wants to turn over even a little idle then its done for.

I will investigate the carberator issue the generator did sit for a long period without being used.

I will also use the Seafoam I just used that in another vehicle that didn't run for a long time.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
golfcarter

I will also look into throwing another fuel pump in line for that price it is worth it.

The question I have is if the original fuel pump is good will I have an issue by installing another in line fuel pump?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
golfcarter

according to the malfunction code that I get by using the Onan Manual and the code that blinks on the switch says generator load control malfunction.