Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
campingcpl

Angry Reese moving to Mexico

We were just informed by a couple of friends earlier this week that are employeed by Cequent Group which makes the Reese brand trailer hitch's and is owned by TriMas Corporation that they are possibly closing the Goshen, Indiana plant and moving the production of the Reese product to a plant in Mexico. This move will cost almost 450 jobs in this area which has already been hit extremely hard by the recession. For as long as I can remember the Reese product has been made in the Elkhart/Goshen area. My dad worked for Reese back in the day and I have had many friends that have worked or working for the Reese company over the many years. It will be a sad day to see a company that people have depended on for a long time and has been a proud USA product get moved out of the country. Here are a couple of links to some news articals.

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/Ar...to-Mexico.aspx
http://www.southbendtribune.com/busi...,2253581.story
http://goshennews.com/local/x6994567...shut-its-doors

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
rrohrer

sad. sorry for all those affected.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

my hart goes out to all the employees affected by this move. may the powers in charge choke on the extra proffits. yep unapproprate im sure but i hate seeing quality american products moved out of country
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Jay D

X10 saabdoctor
Old 10-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
jdoug

I too hate to see manufacturing leave the US, but, if it has to go, I'd rather see it go south than to the far east.

Doug
jdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
KJcachers

Neither move is good for the country, only for the owners/stockholders of Reese. Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
maxx1963

That really pisses me off, Reese is one of those brands you think you could depend on to always be made in the good ol' U.S of A. I to feel sorry for the employees. But to the owners, what goes around comes around bitches!!!

2005 2500HD CCLB Duramax. LBZ mouthpiece, factory CAI mod, Diamond eye "quiet" downpipe back exhaust/ Reese elite under bed rail hitch
2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700
2007 Yamaha Wolverine(wife's)
2002 Suzuki LT-A50(daughter's)
1995 Yamaha G14 golf cart
maxx1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
We were just informed by a couple of friends earlier this week that are employeed by Cequent Group which makes the Reese brand trailer hitch's and is owned by TriMas Corporation that they are possibly closing the Goshen, Indiana plant and moving the production of the Reese product to a plant in Mexico. This move will cost almost 450 jobs in this area which has already been hit extremely hard by the recession. For as long as I can remember the Reese product has been made in the Elkhart/Goshen area. My dad worked for Reese back in the day and I have had many friends that have worked or working for the Reese company over the many years. It will be a sad day to see a company that people have depended on for a long time and has been a proud USA product get moved out of the country. Here are a couple of links to some news articals.

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/Ar...to-Mexico.aspx
http://www.southbendtribune.com/busi...,2253581.story
http://goshennews.com/local/x6994567...shut-its-doors
Thank Obamacare for that. I see many more jobs being shipped overseas.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Bluewater

Buy american !!
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
cjensen91910

Obama has nothing to do with it,,,we do!! Stop buying by cheap price and buy American and the plants will stop moving!!
cjensen91910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
mikell

I don't really see them moving I think they want tax abatements. Mexico isn't all that cheap anymore. China labor is now equal to $20 an hour US labor so more companies are moving back. Mexico quality is much better than China though I still don't think it's a money maker to move
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
ewkearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMedic View Post
Thank Obamacare for that. I see many more jobs being shipped overseas.
If that were true, why are almost all of the jobs being shipped overseas to countries with SOCIALIZED MEDICINE.
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
davidjsimons

Businesses are in business to provide a quality product or service at a reasonable profit. It is not the place of government to be the arbitrator of what is reasonable. Nor is a business obligated to provide jobs. Where the problem lies is with a government whose policies do not encourage business investment. We were fourth in the world only four years ago for having policies that encouraged business ownership. Today, we are number eighteen in the world. You want to know why businesses are leaving? This is not a right or left issue. This is a result of one party that spends too much and another party that tries to spend even more. The government doesn't believe that there is a spending problem, just a problem with deficit reduction. Try telling that to your banker and see what they tell you. I guess the bigger issue is that they believe that we are so dumb that we would actually buy a BS line like that. I'm sorry to hear about Reese moving, but don't just blame Reese. As a consumer, the choice is yours as to what you do or do not purchase. Shouldn't we also have a free and open market which would encourage growth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
x96mnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
Buy american !!
+1 From me here...more of a buy local!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
Businesses are in business to provide a quality product or service at a reasonable profit. It is not the place of government to be the arbitrator of what is reasonable. Nor is a business obligated to provide jobs. Where the problem lies is with a government whose policies do not encourage business investment. We were fourth in the world only four years ago for having policies that encouraged business ownership. Today, we are number eighteen in the world. You want to know why businesses are leaving? This is not a right or left issue. This is a result of one party that spends too much and another party that tries to spend even more. The government doesn't believe that there is a spending problem, just a problem with deficit reduction. Try telling that to your banker and see what they tell you. I guess the bigger issue is that they believe that we are so dumb that we would actually buy a BS line like that. I'm sorry to hear about Reese moving, but don't just blame Reese. As a consumer, the choice is yours as to what you do or do not purchase. Shouldn't we also have a free and open market which would encourage growth?

Your logical and non-emotional based response was refreshing. Obama care is partly responsible, but that's not all of it. As stated, business does not exist to create jobs. it exists to create revenue and profit for it's owners and investors and job creation is a by product for that. I know business owners who are planning layoffs and scaling back rather than be forced to close because of the economic implications of the current administration's policies. Add to that the increased tax implications for small business and all of the regulations coming down the pike, for many it's move or close. I can tell you that as a business owner, when my cost of business increases, I have a choice to absorb it or pass it down. Often it's a matter of deciding how much can be absorbed and still be able to produce a quality AND affordable product. When it gets so that I have to absorb more than I can pass down, then I'll have to make the same decisions. The bottom line of any business is to create profit.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Your logical and non-emotional based response was refreshing. Obama care is partly responsible, but that's not all of it. As stated, business does not exist to create jobs. it exists to create revenue and profit for it's owners and investors and job creation is a by product for that. I know business owners who are planning layoffs and scaling back rather than be forced to close because of the economic implications of the current administration's policies. Add to that the increased tax implications for small business and all of the regulations coming down the pike, for many it's move or close. I can tell you that as a business owner, when my cost of business increases, I have a choice to absorb it or pass it down. Often it's a matter of deciding how much can be absorbed and still be able to produce a quality AND affordable product. When it gets so that I have to absorb more than I can pass down, then I'll have to make the same decisions. The bottom line of any business is to create profit.
Bingo! Agreed.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
hankpage
Site Team

Unhappy The political direction of this thread

We are sure that everyone has an opinion on this subject, but none of them really have anything to do with RVs and camping. Many of our members are not from the States and may take offense to some of the statements being made. We (The moderators) have watched this thread hoping that it would not take a turn towards politics as it seems to be. There are several subjects that we avoid on this forum and doing so seems to keep everyone friendly, politics is high on that list. Yes, we are living in frustrating times and the Internet is a great place to vent but this forum is not the place. (Unless RV related)

We hope you all agree that we have a good thing here and these rules help. Let us all try to get this thread back on track. Thanks in advance, YOUR Moderators
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #18
jsmith948

Thank you, Hankpage!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #19
campingcpl

Here is an update on the closing! As from what I have been told by my friends that work there, they have begun the layoff process. They are laying off in blocks and are starting with more of the none essential personnel and employees that do not have seniority. The largest round will be coming in the next couple of months. By mid summer the rest will be done (some office and maintence personnel will be the last to go). I have also been told that they have already started dismantaling some of the equipment and prepairing it for the move. My heart goes out to all the employees that will be losing their jobs. I do worry about my friends that work there and hope that they are able to find other jobs quickly. We still are not seeing a large job market in this area with our unemployment still being near 9%.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote