Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Mistral

Question Passport 2510RB 2011

Hi !
I have a big question... I have a break in a silicon joint where the front cap meets EPDM (See picture) so I whent up to see the damage and when I got to it, I pressed on each side of the molding that meet EPDM and fibreglass and it looks screwed on tight, but at the centre the molding flex up and down as I press on it, so I was wondering if the situation is normal or it is suposed to be srewed tight in the middle too because it looks solid under this part.

Need quick advise because I have to seal this fast so I wont get water infiltration in the joint. (I have my DICOR sealant)

Sorry for mistakes in my english

Thanks for your advise.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Halibutman214

Just an educated guess but I would think that joint should fall on a ceiling joist and be screwed down tight all the way across. This is critical joint that would not only require sealant but I would also think it would have to have screws.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Is that an aluminum strip that runs on the edge of the EPDM and the fiberglass? If so, are screw heads visible or are they hidden under a plastic strip? Are the screw heads under a layer or two of Dicor?

If there are screws missing in the center, as Halibutman214 says, it is almost certainly a ceiling joist under that seam, and it should be safe to add a few.

If there is that plastic strip covering the screw heads, it is easily removed so you can see the screws.

It's also possible that some of the screws were over tightened and spin free. In that case, you can either do the toothpick trick or find some SS or aluminum screws that are one size larger to replace them.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Mistral

"Is that an aluminum strip that runs on the edge of the EPDM and the fiberglass?"

Yes it is.

Screws are under DICOR and I didn't remove it yet because I wanted to know before sealing the strip if it was suposed to screwed tight on the ceiling joist.

I tought the same thing as you but wanted to make sure, so I'll put more or oversized aluminium srews to fix it back down then seal with DICOR.

I'll remove the sealant on one srew to see if it's stripped or broken head and if there are broken screws then I'll put one beside it.

Any clue on the lenght of the screws ???

Thank you very much.