Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2022, 11:45 AM   #1
wegone

Soliciting advice.....

The old gal is just about cleaned out.
Tomorrow, we make the switch, so excited.
However, I have reached a dilemma and now turn to seek advice.

I am wondering if I should open a "brick and mortar" store, or just sell all the stuff I removed from my WIFES trailer, ONLINE through an internet domain?

I think I removed more first aid paraphrenia from the bathroom than what most emergency rooms keep on stock.

The kitchen..... on my, she had more seasoning, utensils, gadgets and things to cook with than a 4-star restaurant

Bedding, blankets, towels, and.....

I'm not certain, but I can't help but to ponder that maybe, just maybe, she had something to do with the supply chain issues

I truly expect my gas milage to improve greatly tomorrow, pulling her to the dealership

Now, I appreciate any input in how best to divest myself of this, er....windfall.

Also, how do I make certain none of it makes its way back onboard the new rig and keep my sack intact?

Thank you.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
dutchmensport

It really all depends if you want to make a few bucks off your old stuff or just want to get rid of it no matter how?

If you want to get a few bucks out of your unwanted items, maybe you could add all that stuff to your neighbor's yard sale. If you just want to get rid of the stuff, Good Will it or give it away.

When we got our last camper, we decided it was time to get rid of all our old Coleman camp stove equipment. We had a 3 burner stove and a flat griddle. We had the propane tank, multi connection pipe that supported a Coleman gas lantern at the top. In addition, we also had multiple hoses to connect everything together and cookware (like iron skillets and such). We contacted a local Boy Scout troop and offered to give it all to them! They gladly took it all! I probably off loaded over $1000 (when new) worth of camping equipment to them. They were exhilarated!
Old 09-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Seriously? You had best talk to your better half and not solicit advice from this gaggle of geezers on the forum. If she was responsible for your accumulation, she had best be part of the process.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:02 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have to agree with George. I can only imagine if I offloaded a bunch of DW's collections then disposed of them without her input...well, I really can't! As for me I give the stuff away. I'm just not turned to try to sell my stuff to other people, it's more trouble than it's worth no matter what it might be.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:19 PM   #5
wegone

Golly..... maybe I used some of the wrong seasoning I found so abundant off-loading her kitchen stash, on my tongue and cheek offering

OK, not all is lost, however, it did give me fuel for thought.

Our future conversation might sound like thus:

"Sure honey, we can put it all back. I'd hate for you to be missing any of that stuff that still has its safety label attached to its out-of-date tag.....
But dear I now know our truck was undersized, and ya know with your safety in mind and a BRAND-NEW TRAILER which we don't want to risk any damage for an inferior towing vehicle..... I'll need a new super humper tri-wheeled turbo 450 just to be sure...."

"What's that you say, how much are they?"

"We could mortgage the house dear, and the interest is tax credit"
Old 09-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Golly..... maybe I used some of the wrong seasoning I found so abundant off-loading her kitchen stash, on my tongue and cheek offering

OK, not all is lost, however, it did give me fuel for thought.

Our future conversation might sound like thus:

"Sure honey, we can put it all back. I'd hate for you to be missing any of that stuff that still has its safety label attached to its out-of-date tag.....
But dear I now know our truck was undersized, and ya know with your safety in mind and a BRAND-NEW TRAILER which we don't want to risk any damage for an inferior towing vehicle..... I'll need a new super humper tri-wheeled turbo 450 just to be sure...."

"What's that you say, how much are they?"

"We could mortgage the house dear, and the interest is tax credit"

Now you need to be clear on that new truck; you want a new super "thumper" "hex-wheeled" (DRW) turbo 450. Don't worry about out of date tags - it's still good...just taste it (spices). If you use instant mashed potates just sift the weevils out. Always a way to make things go further.....
Old 09-12-2022, 01:59 PM   #7
wegone

I you use instant mashed potates just sift the weevils out

That made me gag....
Old 09-12-2022, 02:29 PM   #8
dutchmensport

OK, here's another suggestion since we're talking about the other 3/4 owner on this "Island" team! Why not tell her you are getting rid of everything so SHE can get all new! Now ... that will give you about 6 months before you are overloaded! Meanwhile, she may not want to replace everything, and if she does, maybe you can convince her to go with one of those appliances that does multiple things and be able keep the one-item-use things on the store shelf? It's just a suggestions!
Old 09-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
OK, here's another suggestion since we're talking about the other 3/4 owner on this "Island" team! Why not tell her you are getting rid of everything so SHE can get all new! Now ... that will give you about 6 months before you are overloaded! Meanwhile, she may not want to replace everything, and if she does, maybe you can convince her to go with one of those appliances that does multiple things and be able keep the one-item-use things on the store shelf? It's just a suggestions!
David, Your advice just became toxic! BUY ALL NEW STUFF? This situation must be handled with diplomacy and not blowing up into an unlimited spending spree. Team up with the missus and explain the need to be aware of a new trailer and the somewhat limited space (or anything but going nuts with the check book).
Old 09-12-2022, 03:03 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I you use instant mashed potates just sift the weevils out

That made me gag....

Sorry Eddie! A typo as I don't use instant potatoes. It was supposed to be "IF you use". Just some thoughts on "saving" things (tongue in cheek).
Old 09-13-2022, 03:24 AM   #11
gearhead

Sounds VERY familiar. I just throw some of that over stocked in the trash when she isn't looking. But I never throw the last of it away. I always leave something.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 04:49 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
The old gal is just about cleaned out.
Tomorrow, we make the switch, so excited.
However, I have reached a dilemma and now turn to seek advice.

I am wondering if I should open a "brick and mortar" store, or just sell all the stuff I removed from my WIFES trailer, ONLINE through an internet domain?

I think I removed more first aid paraphrenia from the bathroom than what most emergency rooms keep on stock.

The kitchen..... on my, she had more seasoning, utensils, gadgets and things to cook with than a 4-star restaurant

Bedding, blankets, towels, and.....

I'm not certain, but I can't help but to ponder that maybe, just maybe, she had something to do with the supply chain issues

I truly expect my gas milage to improve greatly tomorrow, pulling her to the dealership

Now, I appreciate any input in how best to divest myself of this, er....windfall.

Also, how do I make certain none of it makes its way back onboard the new rig and keep my sack intact?

Thank you.

Your wife is probably having the same conversation with her friends

“I can’t believe how much stuff Eddie had in the storage compartment of our trailer!”….. “you would think he is opening an auto repair and hardware store with all the tools and junk”… lol

my wife gets the storage for everything inside the trailer..i get the basement storage…works out pretty good for us and i don’t have to worry about my truck payload.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:29 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

This thread may benefit some of the newer RV owners who often make posts like:

"We always travel light"
"I can't imagine we'll ever come close to the max payload"
"At most, we'll have, maybe 300 pounds of cargo"

Simple fact is, for most of us, "payload creep" equals or exceeds "middle age spread"... Every member who has emptied their trailer to trade it in or sell it, has remarked how much stuff they didn't know they had...

I'm as "guilty as the rest" when it comes to finding parts in a storage container for something that no longer is even owned, much less, no longer in the trailer... Things like a spare handle for a 4 ton hydraulic jack, battery box straps for an old battery box that I no longer use, chain saw parts for a saw I gave my grandson years ago, spark plugs for a Champion generator I sold when we bought this Cougar (no idea why they didn't get tossed when I first loaded the trailer, but here they are).....

It's amazing how much stuff we accumulate and I'd suspect every one of us is thinking, "Not me !!!" at least until spring cleaning forces us to empty the pass through compartment and the cupboards in the bathroom and galley to take an "honest inventory".... I found three (yes 3) spare showerheads and two shower hoses under the vanity last week......

YMMV, but somehow, I doubt it will......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:48 AM   #14
wegone

"We always travel light"
"I can't imagine we'll ever come close to the max payload"
"At most, we'll have, maybe 300 pounds of cargo

BINGO......WE GOT A WINNER HERE!

I think the reason I'm spoofing so much and blaming HER, is because I really learned that I too had no real idea of how much the loading really adds up.

When we load her up, we do it over time and in increments and it just doesn't readily compute in our minds.

Reverse that scenario and it becomes pretty obvious after your 30 40, 50th trip carrying 30 pounds of STUFF in your arms, not to even mention I now have two spare bedrooms full of STUFF!

Couple this with the fact they try and make these trailers nowadays ULTRA LIGHT that comes at a cost of PAYLOADING, and, well.....

HEY.....I just got an idea tossing this weight stuff around.

I think I will invent and market a new drug-food additive that when taken with a meal it makes your poop 50% lighter, therefor the black tank can hold more mass....

I'll call it "POOP LIGHT"

Anybody want to invest on the ground floor on this crappy idea?
Old 09-13-2022, 07:10 AM   #15
Camp CA

Quote:
...........Also, how do I make certain none of it makes its way back onboard the new rig and keep my sack intact?.........
We unloaded everything we did not use to limit the trailer to 15,000 lbs (GVWR is 16,600 lbs) and have a rule.....put something on, take something off.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:22 AM   #16
wiredgeorge

First time something on the camper goes fubar when you are a long way from home and that part that was needed is sitting in a safe, dry corner of your home storage place, it sets off condition known as "you have to take one of everything" syndrome. I have NEVER had a part needing replacement on board when I needed it while the camper is away so when I get back, I put it in the pass through dark hole and next time out find there was something I had not planned for or taken a spare for. This drives me nuts so I have MANY spare parts in the pass through (can't ever find them in the mess). It is a sickness.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #17
gearhead

So I’m sitting out in the garage watching the kids inheritance tank, Dow down 900+, bored trying to dream up something simple to do, other than what I ought to be doing. I decide to semi organize my tackle on the boat. On my twice weekly trips to WalMart I usually go through the fishing dept. I almost always buy a couple lures. When I get home I throw them on the front deck of the boat. I just went there to look and it’s quite a pile. Since flounder season is coming on I’ve been focusing on that. I had enough Gulp lures to fill a second gallon freezer bag. They make a new color, orange, I already have 4 packs of them. Note to self: don’t buy anymore orange Gulps.
It’s like that with everything. Tools…two sets of those high quality German pliers. Two or three sets of Harbor Freight sockets for 2 RV’s and two boats.
Every horizontal space in the garage is overflowing.
Hello, my name is Brent and I have a hoarding problem….
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 09-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Brent I was like that. I ended up with a section of wall in one room of my shop; 8'Hx12'L covered in pegboard. In that pegboard I had well over a hundred (maybe hundreds) of those attachment pegs sticking out. On all them I had my lures, worms, crappie rigs, every kind of rig you can imagine and over a dozen rods. Each peg had at least 2, and some 5 or 6, of the same lure/bag of worms etc. I always went to Academy and just started pitching stuff in that looked good. That wall looked like a store (my DS's observation). That didn't include the 5 tackle boxes that were filled. Went out one day and told myself THIS is a problem. Spent the day loading all that stuff up (keeping the necessities I need), boxed them all up, cleaned up the bass boat (4 hours on it), loaded it all up and drove to Dallas and gave it to DS. I feel much better now that I've "come clean" and recognized I had a problem. Now the wall is covered with pneumatic tools and attachments....guess I'm going to have to have another intervention with myself.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:02 PM   #19
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^Brent I was like that. I ended up with a section of wall in one room of my shop; 8'Hx12'L covered in pegboard. In that pegboard I had well over a hundred (maybe hundreds) of those attachment pegs sticking out. On all them I had my lures, worms, crappie rigs, every kind of rig you can imagine and over a dozen rods. Each peg had at least 2, and some 5 or 6, of the same lure/bag of worms etc. I always went to Academy and just started pitching stuff in that looked good. That wall looked like a store (my DS's observation). That didn't include the 5 tackle boxes that were filled. Went out one day and told myself THIS is a problem. Spent the day loading all that stuff up (keeping the necessities I need), boxed them all up, cleaned up the bass boat (4 hours on it), loaded it all up and drove to Dallas and gave it to DS. I feel much better now that I've "come clean" and recognized I had a problem. Now the wall is covered with pneumatic tools and attachments....guess I'm going to have to have another intervention with myself.
The boat is a 21ft center console. It has 2 storage areas under the front deck. They are both packed full. One has Plano boxes with hard baits and 2 worm notebooks I can barely zip closed. The 2 rod boxes are full of rods and a few hand towels and extra hats. The under console storage has the 2 trolling motor batteries, plus 2 ammo boxes of tools, 2 slicker suits, 4 life jackets, a bottle jack, and a 4 way lug wrench. The leaning post seat has maps, fire extinguisher, knives, and a SS 357 pistol.
I’m surprised it will get on plane.
I’m thinking my major problem is 2 tricycles, a bicycle and pedal car in the garage.
No that’s not the problem, it’s me.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS