Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2022, 05:59 AM   #1
Rdynbama

Adding stabilizer jacks

Getting ready to add stabilizer jacks to the TH . It has the Lippert 6 point jacks and auto level . The left front jack leaks just enough to get the RV out of level. I had a mobile tech check it and ordered a new one under my extended warranty. But it’s been on order for months now and no ETA. So I bought a pair of 6k 24” RV scissor stabilizer jacks to mount on the frame near the front of the rv and use them to help hold the weight on the front until the new hydraulic jack arrives. I plan to drill 4 11/16” holes and use the self tapping screws that were provided to mount the jacks. Other than making sure I don’t drill into something I don’t want a hole in ,any advice or suggestions?
Thank you in advance
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:06 AM   #2
GMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
I plan to drill 4 11/16” holes and use the self tapping screws that were provided to mount the jacks.
Those must be awfully big screws....you could probably get away with only two.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
bsmith0404

I doubt they’re 11/16 holes. Just drop the colorplast where you plan to install them. Only a few self tapping screws the hold it in place. Don’t need to drop it completely, just enough to get your fingers in behind the I beam to check if anything is running along the frame rail in that area.

Curious to see how this will work for you since the scissor jacks aren’t designed to lift. Although you’re not using them for that, in a sense, they will be lifting/holding the entire weight of the front corner when the Jack bleeds down. They’re rated for the weight, so I’m guessing it’ll work out.

I’m surprised you haven’t been able to get the jack. I got one for an RV I was working on a few months back. Took about 3 weeks to get it. I’d call Lippert and ask them for a status.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:30 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If the hydraulic Jack leaks down, then the entire weight will be on that scissor jack. I don’t know that it won’t bend/fold and then when your new jack is installed you may have a damaged jack and holes in the frame to deal with. I would use these instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Olympia...77464448&psc=1

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:55 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Chuck's suggestion... Those "tripod jacks" will support the weight of that corner of the trailer and more importantly, don't damage the frame rails/superstructure of your trailer.....

Drilling four 11/16" holes (if that is the actual size required) could permanently damage the trailer's "weight carrying frame rails" and lead to all sorts of problems once you start towing the trailer on today's "super smooth highway system".... Every bump, every pothole could become the source of future "spider cracks" that may not be visible until it's too late.....

Drilling into the frame, especially that many "LARGE" holes, is never a good idea for the "shade tree handyman".....

I'd leave the frame "un-modified" and just put a tripod jack under that part of the trailer so that once the hydraulic leveler leg comes in, there's no frame damage to deal with.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:56 AM   #6
Rdynbama

These jacks are rated for 6k and one on each side should be sturdy enough. It’s only the left front that leaks so the most they would be supporting would be the pin weight.After the new hydraulic jack is installed I’ll use them as extra stabilization like the tripod on the front. I looked at the stack jacks from Chuckster reply and opted for the scissors style jacks because although this is a 39ft TH the pass through storage is very small and already full. The scissor jacks will be attached and retracted when not in use

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 08-29-2022, 07:02 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree with Chuck's suggestion... Those "tripod jacks" will support the weight of that corner of the trailer and more importantly, don't damage the frame rails/superstructure of your trailer.....

Drilling four 11/16" holes (if that is the actual size required) could permanently damage the trailer's "weight carrying frame rails" and lead to all sorts of problems once you start towing the trailer on today's "super smooth highway system".... Every bump, every pothole could become the source of future "spider cracks" that may not be visible until it's too late.....

Drilling into the frame, especially that many "LARGE" holes, is never a good idea for the "shade tree handyman"

I'd leave the frame "un-modified" and just put a tripod jack under that part of the trailer so that once the hydraulic leveler leg comes in, there's no frame damage to deal with.....

OP you might read what John mentioned above again. That many large holes that close together through your frame is almost certain to cause problems, HUGE problems, down the road for you. No way I would be doing it. The tripod jacks are the way to go and I would just have to rearrange the pass through, garage or pickup bed to accommodate them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:05 AM   #8
Rdynbama

My bad guys 11/32 not 11/16 oops ��

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 08-29-2022, 07:12 AM   #9
Rdynbama

I’m sorry about that!

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 08-29-2022, 07:15 AM   #10
Rdynbama

I’ll take another look at the stack jacks Chuckster mentioned
Just gonna have to carry more cribbing in bed cause they only extend to 17”

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 08-29-2022, 07:39 AM   #11
travelin texans

A couple of automotive type jack stands from Harbor Freight would work well as temporary support & be handy at home working on vehicles also.
I'd go with the little tripods or jack stands rather drilling a bunch of holes in the frame, not to mention way less work.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #12
Rdynbama

I have used a couple of HF jack stands on our last outing and they worked ok but getting the height right after leveling was a pain. I just ordered a couple of the tripod stands from Amazon and I’ll see about returning the others
You are correct … a lot less work involved!
Thanks for all the replies and apologies for the fractional typo
Old 08-29-2022, 08:04 AM   #13
bsmith0404

Btw, with 6 point auto level, a scissor lack or any other Jack Uber the front corner won’t do anything to help stabilize the rv.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:13 AM   #14
Rdynbama

Ten four
The tripod under the hitch makes a big difference though

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 08-29-2022, 02:02 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
Ten four
The tripod under the hitch makes a big difference though
That's a matter of opinion!
We used one for about a year, it was a royal PITA to setup & find a good place to store/haul the heavy bulky thing for no more difference than we noticed. I gave it to the 1st guy that said he wished he had one & he gave it away a few months later.
Sounds like it works for you though!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:06 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That's a matter of opinion!
We used one for about a year, it was a royal PITA to setup & find a good good place to store/haul the heavy bulky thing for no more difference than we noticed. I gave it to the 1st guy that said he wished he had one & he gave it away a few months later.
Sounds like it works for you though!
I don’t have auto level, and I’ve used my kingpin stabilizer for years, including in my previous 36’ fiver. There are different styles, mine is a tripod with a chain through the legs. Been great, but as you said to each their own.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #17
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I don’t have auto level, and I’ve used my kingpin stabilizer for years, including in my previous 36’ fiver. There are different styles, mine is a tripod with a chain through the legs. Been great, but as you said to each their own.
I used one with my previous 5er, but got rid of it after getting the current one with auto level. Didn’t notice much, if any difference on this one.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:54 PM   #18
Rdynbama

Ours is the tripod with the chain through it and yea kinda aggravating to set up but it seems to make a difference and that makes the wife happy

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 08-29-2022, 04:57 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

The tripod may or may not make much difference in day to day "movement" reduction but I can tell you that it makes a big difference when that washer or dryer starts spinning with a lopsided load! It IS bulky and heavy but after our recent 2 1/2 week trip without deploying it, and washing clothes, it WILL go back on next time we stay for any length of time. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:51 PM   #20
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The tripod may or may not make much difference in day to day "movement" reduction but I can tell you that it makes a big difference when that washer or dryer starts spinning with a lopsided load! It IS bulky and heavy but after our recent 2 1/2 week trip without deploying it, and washing clothes, it WILL go back on next time we stay for any length of time. JMO
Washer and dryer closet is where the vacuum and hamper is stored. DW keeps saying she wants to add them into ours. I keep telling her I have no desire to be shaken around during the spin cycle. If she, well actually when, she wins this battle, I’ll probably have to get another tripod.

Tags
jacks