Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #21
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Curt is a great hitch. I have a 16k version for pulling “other” trailers. I say that because I use the Pullrite for mine. Don’t want to go through the hassle of swapping the coupler for other peoples trailers so I grabbed a Curt I’ve never had a problem with them and can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone else having a problem.

Not sure what you mean by it needing to be mated to the trailer. Only thing that needs to be adjusted for the trailer is the height. You can do that in your driveway if it needs it.

I wouldn’t ask the dealer about a hitch, they’re going to recommend whatever they sell.
I would need to adjust the height right there at the RV place or I couldn't tow. Of more concern is the exact location of the hitch forward/aft. With the previous hitch the truck needed to be fairly square with the trailer for the hitch to clear without sliding the hitch. This is because the tailgate is so tall. I can presently fit in most spots without sliding the hitch. Move the hitch back an inch and I might need to slide the hitch much more often. Just a connivence issue as long as the hitch doesn't move too far forward. I would need to confirm a bunch of measurements. Something the RV center would just do as a part of normal business and the auto garage might not.

I don't need to buy either of these hitches. Does anyone have experience with an automatic sliding hitch? I've heard of them but never looked into them.

I didn't mean to turn this into a favorite hitch discussion but I've heard good things on the Pullrite hitch so I may look into the super glide.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:19 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

I have installed dozens of the Pull-Rite auto slider, It is HEAVY buts works real good. Another slider option is the Demco. Auto slider advantage is it is all automatic no getting out and pulling a lever.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:25 AM   #23
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have installed dozens of the Pull-Rite auto slider, It is HEAVY buts works real good. Another slider option is the Demco. Auto slider advantage is it is all automatic no getting out and pulling a lever.
Another reason I am interested in the auto slider is not laziness, although I've got plenty of potential there, but that the Reese hitch was hard to lock into the rear position with the trailer attached. May have been uneven ground, but I think that is common when the slider is needed.

I'm ok with heavy, I couldn't lift the Reese out anyway. I have a hoist in the garage waiting to be installed.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:55 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Seeing as how the insurance company is already dealing with the RV dealership I'd have a discussion with them about the hitch install. I would explain to the adjuster how having the truck dealer do the work could possibly cause issues as they won't have the trailer. These days you never know who you're dealing with at the ins. company. The adjuster handling your claim today may only have homeowners experience before your claim came in.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #25
notanlines

We have had the Demco for many years and a number of RV's. 21K. It has worked relatively flawlessly. Keep in mind that it weighs 310 pounds. The Pull-Rite hitch gets solid reviews also. I'm not saying this should be your choice, but Brent is correct when he says the dealer will recommend what he sells.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:17 AM   #26
bsmith0404

How experienced are you pulling trailers? Personally I don’t like and won’t use a slider. If that is definitely what you want and you don’t mind dealing with the size and weight of them I understand, but with a puck system or gooseneck ball, I’d switch to the Goosebox. You will lose some cab clearance, but IMO, that just prevents you from cutting too short and damaging suspension parts on the RV.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
How experienced are you pulling trailers? Personally I don’t like and won’t use a slider. If that is definitely what you want and you don’t mind dealing with the size and weight of them I understand, but with a puck system or gooseneck ball, I’d switch to the Goosebox. You will lose some cab clearance, but IMO, that just prevents you from cutting too short and damaging suspension parts on the RV.
One reason I have a long bed. I have worries, I just have to take a little extra wide turns to compensate for the double cab. Auto sliders are the way to go if you have any doubts. Buddy has a 2003 GMC 2500HD short cab. He had a manual slider and when he was moving to Montana got into a parking lot that he was forced to back out of. Didnt try to slide the hitch back and ended up needing a rear window and cab work. He was a very experienced driver.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #28
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
One reason I have a long bed. I have worries, I just have to take a little extra wide turns to compensate for the double cab. Auto sliders are the way to go if you have any doubts. Buddy has a 2003 GMC 2500HD short cab. He had a manual slider and when he was moving to Montana got into a parking lot that he was forced to back out of. Didnt try to slide the hitch back and ended up needing a rear window and cab work. He was a very experienced driver.
And I’ve seen people collapse suspensions by turning too short and sliding tires/stressing the suspension parts. I guess it’s a pick your poison situation. I’ll work a trailer back and forth many times before I cut it that far. IMO, that’s also how so many rv axles get bent. When I was in sales, I had 3 customers over 4 years that insisted the alignment get checked on their new RV before they would take delivery. All 3 had bent axles. I believe it was from the dealer cutting them around into tight spots with the forklift. I wouldn’t doubt if 50% or more of RVs on the road have bent axles from cutting to tight and dragging tires.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:25 AM   #29
dadnjesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
Just got a note from the autobody dealer working on the truck. My hitch is no longer sold and there are not parts available(thankfully cause thats not happening) and they can't get the newer Reese replacement. They want to replace the hitch with a Kurt A20 20000lb 16541. They say it fits in the same spot.

Does anybody have experience with that Kurt hitch?
I had a Reese slider. I thought it was very clunky and the slider would get stuck. I got rid of that and bought the Curt 20k. I would constantly have a hard time getting the pin to release. If I was on any uneven ground it was almost impossible to pull the handle to release it. I then got the B&W Companion. This hitch has been great. I never have a problem releasing the pin no matter what angle I'm on. It is heavy but the head comes off with 2 pins and makes it easier to move.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:19 AM   #30
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadnjesse View Post
I had a Reese slider. I thought it was very clunky and the slider would get stuck. I got rid of that and bought the Curt 20k. I would constantly have a hard time getting the pin to release. If I was on any uneven ground it was almost impossible to pull the handle to release it. I then got the B&W Companion. This hitch has been great. I never have a problem releasing the pin no matter what angle I'm on. It is heavy but the head comes off with 2 pins and makes it easier to move.
Was the B and W Companion hitch a slider?

Also, I think the B and W Companion needs the Turnoverball, is that correct?
Old 09-01-2022, 02:38 AM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

B&W is a manual slider, and yes it mounts on the goose neck ball.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:57 AM   #32
hondapro87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
Was the B and W Companion hitch a slider?

Also, I think the B and W Companion needs the Turnoverball, is that correct?
The B&W is a great hitch. The companion can be bought with either the turn over mount base or with the puck mount base. I have the companion slider with the puck mount for my truck. It works great.
hondapro87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:35 AM   #33
Kzneft

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As I said before I have NO experience with the Anderson, it just seem a bit lightweight for heavy 5th wheels in my mind.
But if your big old clunky hitch couldn't/didn't hold up to lateral forces in an accident what would happen to that 35lb aluminum tripod?
I know Anderson post testing with downward pressures & claims it will withstand XXklbs, but what about lateral forces?
Sorry Anderson fans, but that's my thoughts! YMMV!
Thank goodness no one was seriously injured! Stuff can be repaired or replaced, lives can't!
I agree. When I hear people say they like how lightweight their Anderson is I cringe. There is so much force put on these hitches anyway, then when you need to make an emergency stop those forces go way up. That's why I have a B&W Companion hitch. Extremely heavy, but I feel much safer.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #34
Mikelff

Take a look at a B&W Companion hitch. They are pretty stout with great warranty. Come out in two pieces. I think any hitch can have damage from an accident. All depends on the forces applied in the accident. Have had my B&W for three years and no issues.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch