Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
jwfrede

Broken Reese 16k Hitch

Just had an accident yesterday. Someone made a left turn onto the roadway pulling right in front me and never saw me. I braked to maybe 30-35 and they were doing maybe 15-20 at the time of impact, I braked and pulled into the breakdown lane to avoid her, but so did she. Punted the car right off the road into the edge of the woods, onto its side pointing backwards. She was ok, walked to the ambulance after she was freed from the car. I noticed a significant bump, no injury or anything close to it for me. I was riding alone.

My airbag didn't even go off. But my hitch broke dumping the kingpin with the head assembly attached up towards the cab and damaging the trailer and rear of the truck. I thought fifth wheel hitches were supposed to stay on even with a major accident. Has anybody heard of this?

Sounds like installation issue or defect. My trailer is probably 9000-9500 lb, its 8000 ln empty. Hitch was installed on my new F-350 about a year ago by the dealer, an approved Cougar dealer, has maybe 15k miles on it(2 trips from PA to the west coast and presently in Maine). Never had an issue with the hitch. Kind of clunky but always solid hitch-up every time the first time. I thought the Reese was supposed to be clunky but stout.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:10 AM   #2
gearhead

I would talk to Reese and see if they would inspect it. I would want the critical parts checked with dye penetrant and or wet mag particle tested. Same for the pinbox.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:48 PM   #3
hawghauler

Gearhead has the right idea but I'd go with an independent test over the mfg so they don't lie to cover their booty
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:07 PM   #4
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawghauler View Post
Gearhead has the right idea but I'd go with an independent test over the mfg so they don't lie to cover their booty
That is true. Most welding shops should be able to do those tests.
You might want to read up on the test methods, especially the wet mag particle.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I imagine your insurance would be involved. I would discuss the concerns with the insurance adjuster to either replace or have the hitch certified as safe.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:12 PM   #6
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I imagine your insurance would be involved. I would discuss the concerns with the insurance adjuster to either replace or have the hitch certified as safe.
I have insurance, so does the person at fault. That hitch is not going back on the vehicle. I think it's dumpster material.

The hitch has been superseded by a new model so replacement parts shouldn't be available, hopefully. That should make dealing with the insurance company easier. The RV place has a number of hitches in stock, including the updated Reese. That would likely be 100% paid for by insurance. But I am thinking about an Anderson hitch.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:34 PM   #7
P & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
But I am thinking about an Anderson hitch.
Glad you are all ok. I went with a B&W companion hitch because it seemed to be lower profile and a little more robust. No complaints with it so far. Lots of powder coating on it too.

It was between that and a Reese for me.
NV is home but SD is where I'll be.
P & T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:44 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
I have insurance, so does the person at fault. That hitch is not going back on the vehicle. I think it's dumpster material.

The hitch has been superseded by a new model so replacement parts shouldn't be available, hopefully. That should make dealing with the insurance company easier. The RV place has a number of hitches in stock, including the updated Reese. That would likely be 100% paid for by insurance. But I am thinking about an Anderson hitch.
As I said before I have NO experience with the Anderson, it just seem a bit lightweight for heavy 5th wheels in my mind.
But if your big old clunky hitch couldn't/didn't hold up to lateral forces in an accident what would happen to that 35lb aluminum tripod?
I know Anderson post testing with downward pressures & claims it will withstand XXklbs, but what about lateral forces?
Sorry Anderson fans, but that's my thoughts! YMMV!
Thank goodness no one was seriously injured! Stuff can be repaired or replaced, lives can't!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:50 PM   #9
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As I said before I have NO experience with the Anderson, it just seem a bit lightweight for heavy 5th wheels in my mind.
But if your big old clunky hitch couldn't/didn't hold up to lateral forces in an accident what would happen to that 35lb aluminum tripod?
I know Anderson post testing with downward pressures & claims it will withstand XXklbs, but what about lateral forces?
Sorry Anderson fans, but that's my thoughts! YMMV!
I am assuming any of the hitches, including the Reese 16k hitch, will work fine. I think the individual hitch was defective, Reese has a good reputation. I was thinking of the Anderson because its easy to remove. One value of the Reese hitch was that it was a slider hitch. I could do most sites with the normal position, but with the extended position I could really jack-knife the trailer into position.

One reason for my post was to see if people had heard of any problems with the Reese hitch. So far I think the answer is no.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:52 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Typically insurance companies will only replace with same unit or a "comparable" one. If you want to upgrade I'd talk to them about reimbursing you for whatever that is and buying what you want or talk to the sealer doing the work about upgrading and negotiate an out of pocket cost for the difference.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:53 PM   #11
jwfrede

Yes, that's the plan.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #12
rhagfo

Without pictures of the damaged hitch it is hard to say why the hitch failed.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:39 PM   #13
BookPaul74

I have a B&W Companion Turnover fifth wheel hitch. After an accident I would just replace it. I wouldn't have confidence in it afterwards.
Summer-Nebraska Winter-Arizona area
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:09 PM   #14
bsmith0404

Quote:
One reason for my post was to see if people had heard of any problems with the Reese hitch. So far I think the answer is no.
To answer that question, yes I’ve seen Reese hitches fail. Not the same way you’re did, but I’ve seen the jaws break, and the locking mechanism for the jaws break. I know a lot of people own them and have never had problems, I used to have one, don’t anymore and won’t. I’ve also had an Andersen and know several people who have them. I’ve seen them break as well. I currently have a Pullrite 2600 and have a lot more confidence in it than I did the Andersen. I’m thinking about switching to a Goosebox just to get rid of the hitch in the bed completely. Only concern I have is losing the offset and additional cab clearance. I know I can do it, used standard hitch with a short bed for years, my concern is breaking habits. I’ve had the Pullrite for several years and would have to get back into the routine of watching the cab corner again.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #15
jwfrede

I told my RV Dealer of the broken hitch and they contacted Reese. They requested photos. I sent one, and requested more from the claims adjuster. I expect eventually to get some feed back from Reese.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
I told my RV Dealer of the broken hitch and they contacted Reese. They requested photos. I sent one, and requested more from the claims adjuster. I expect eventually to get some feed back from Reese.
An you post those pictures?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #17
jwfrede

Here's a photo of the hitch after the head assembly was removed from the kingpin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	broken 5th wheel trailer hitch.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	41388

The picture was degraded a bit when the size was reducedvso its hard to see where metal broke. I'll see if I can get a better pic up
Old 08-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #18
Javi

For 6 years I was a big fan of the Reese but it got so clunky and sloppy that I replaced it and gave it to the local junk picker to haul off.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:42 AM   #19
jwfrede

Just got a note from the autobody dealer working on the truck. My hitch is no longer sold and there are not parts available(thankfully cause thats not happening) and they can't get the newer Reese replacement. They want to replace the hitch with a Kurt A20 20000lb 16541. They say it fits in the same spot.

Does anybody have experience with that Kurt hitch?

Not sure I want the auto guys doing the hitch because it really needs to be mated with the trailer to get the hitch set correctly. However, they are a preferred provider for my insurance company so it will probably be accepted. The RV place that has my trailer has the newer Reese 16k slider in stock. Need to see what they think of the Kurt.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:56 AM   #20
bsmith0404

Curt is a great hitch. I have a 16k version for pulling “other” trailers. I say that because I use the Pullrite for mine. Don’t want to go through the hassle of swapping the coupler for other peoples trailers so I grabbed a Curt I’ve never had a problem with them and can’t say I’ve ever heard of anyone else having a problem.

Not sure what you mean by it needing to be mated to the trailer. Only thing that needs to be adjusted for the trailer is the height. You can do that in your driveway if it needs it.

I wouldn’t ask the dealer about a hitch, they’re going to recommend whatever they sell.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch