Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
jstijerina

Suggestions on Power Converter

Hello All,

Thanks to some great posts in this forum, I was able to troubleshoot my converter breaker trips to a failed power converter. It is a WFCO Model WF-8955AN. I would appreciate your insights on a couple of doubts I have:
1) My RV is 30 amp power, yet the converter is 55 amp. Can I buy the next lower amp converter? Or can I upgrade my system to 50 amp if the power supply wire can handle it?
2) Can I replace with another brand that is more reliable? I recall someone recommended one from progressive industries but it was a 60 amp vs 55 amp. Does this matter or are they interchangeable?
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Converter.png
Views:	89
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	41278  
jstijerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Just my opinion but I have seen very few failures with the wfco converters. Your current converter is 55 amps, enough to charge the battery and power the 12V stuff.

Since you have a 30A trailer, upgrading to a 50A panel would mean changing the shore cord, and probably making the hole for the panel bigger. I personally would just change the converter with same brand/amps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 09:51 AM   #3
BigBobIa

The converter input is 120v @950 watts or 8 amps. So this at max is using 8 of your 30 amp.

The output is 55 amps of 12 v that is used to charge battery and run lights, furnace and such.

So no problems with that converter on your 30 amp AC power.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #4
jstijerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstijerina View Post
Hello All,

Thanks to some great posts in this forum, I was able to troubleshoot my converter breaker trips to a failed power converter. It is a WFCO Model WF-8955AN. I would appreciate your insights on a couple of doubts I have:
1) My RV is 30 amp power, yet the converter is 55 amp. Can I buy the next lower amp converter? Or can I upgrade my system to 50 amp if the power supply wire can handle it?
2) Can I replace with another brand that is more reliable? I recall someone recommended one from progressive industries but it was a 60 amp vs 55 amp. Does this matter or are they interchangeable?
Thank you!
One other followup question:

Amazon has the same model made by Arterra and also WFCO. Are they interchangable?
Old 08-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #5
travelin texans

What lead you to believe the converter is the issue?
IMHO if replacing go with the same brand of unit you currently have to make swapping a wire for wire job rather than wondering where this wire might go in this unit.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
It wouldn't make sense. When you bring in 50A wiring, you would need to replace your 30A power center with a 50A power center... and on a WFCO, that would replace your current converter with another one in the process.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
jstijerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
What lead you to believe the converter is the issue?
IMHO if replacing go with the same brand of unit you currently have to make swapping a wire for wire job rather than wondering where this wire might go in this unit.
Troubleshooting included: Once it tripped, the breaker would not stay energized, so a) disconnected battery - breaker tripped; b) disconnected converter from breaker - breaker did not trip c) swapped converter to heater breaker (15 amp) and heater to converter breaker - converter breaker tripped, heater breaker did not at new positions. d) I also disconnected all the fuses and wires 12 dc .
Old 08-19-2022, 12:05 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Hello All,

Thank you!
I think you are confusing the AC distribution panel max rating (30 amps @120 vac) with the DC converter output max amperage (55 amps @ 12 vdc).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:11 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Troubleshooting included: Once it tripped, the breaker would not stay energized, so a) disconnected battery - breaker tripped; b) disconnected converter from breaker - breaker did not trip c) swapped converter to heater breaker (15 amp) and heater to converter breaker - converter breaker tripped, heater breaker did not at new positions. d) I also disconnected all the fuses and wires 12 dc .
If you moved the converter black wire to another 120V breaker and it didn’t trip, the issue isn’t the converter.

What “heater” wire? water heater?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Look at your power center and see if it is model WF-8930/50 if it is then the only real issue with changing to 50 amp is the shore cord..

the WF-8930/8950 is either 30 amp or 50 amp.. depending on power feed and breaker configuration https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...-FINAL-web.pdf

Sorry just saw the photo you posted... You would have to swap out the power distribution panel.. to go to 50 amps..
Old 08-19-2022, 06:52 PM   #11
jstijerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you moved the converter black wire to another 120V breaker and it didn’t trip, the issue isn’t the converter.

What “heater” wire? water heater?
Hi, I put the converter black wire on the water heater breaker and it tripped. I put the water heater black wire on the converter breaker and it did NOT trip.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:00 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Hi, I put the converter black wire on the water heater breaker and it tripped. I put the water heater black wire on the converter breaker and it did NOT trip.
I misread, so yeah you probably have a failed converter. I would get the same thing as WFCO converters are not know to fail. In my 10+ yrs I have seen a total of 3.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:15 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Have you tested the battery? If the battery has a shorted cell it can take out the converter. It would be a shame to replace the converter and ruin it with a bad battery.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:18 PM   #14
peanut

My WFCO converter went south the third year I owned my trailer. I personally know two others who have had their WFCO's go bad. On several other RV forums I frequent, problem WFCO converters seem fairly common. IMO (and just IMO) WFCO is junk.

You can replace the main board assembly without replacing the entire power center. It's a quick and easy 30 minute (or less) job once you unhook from shore power AND disconnect the batteries.

I recommend this place:
https://www.bestconverter.com/
Look around the website. Lot's of info there. Retired veteran owned business with very good customer service by the knowledgeable owner. I emailed Randy (owner) several times and he always responded quickly. I think either of these converter board assemblies would fit what you need.
https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-465...nt-_p_676.html
https://www.bestconverter.com/BD-125...ent_p_522.html

One warning and one suggestion.
Warning - - The Progressive Dynamics converters sold on Amazon are sketchy. (At least a few years ago) many of them were imitation knock-offs. Be wary.
Suggestion - - I don't know the specs for the WFCO but if you replace it, get one that is LiFePO4 capable.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:57 AM   #15
gearhead

I too would recommend Best Converters. I swapped out a WFCO with a Progressive from Randy.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:23 AM   #16
jstijerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Have you tested the battery? If the battery has a shorted cell it can take out the converter. It would be a shame to replace the converter and ruin it with a bad battery.
Yes, battery is good. I also, for now, disconnected it as my RV is permanently parked in a little ranch I have.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:43 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, battery is good. I also, for now, disconnected it as my RV is permanently parked in a little ranch I have.
A camper low voltage system should have a battery installed. That's how it's designed to operate and removing the battery will stress the converter. The battery is the main source for 12 vdc. The battery is a storage device that can deliver a burst of high amperage voltage when the system demands it. The converter can be damaged by the high current surge demands.

Some examples of high current 12 vdc loads are your slide outs, landing gear/electric or hydraulic levelers or stabilizers, and the furnace. The other risk in removing the battery is the possibility of having the positive cable inadvertently touching ground and shorting out the converter.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:53 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

This decal is glued to the wall next to the slide switches in EVERY Keystone trailer I've ever seen. Operating the slides puts a heavy amperage "jolt demand" on the 12 volt electrical system. With a battery connected, the battery will provide the increased demand. With no battery connected, the converter rectifier diodes absorb that "jolt" and after a few times, break down and stop working. When that happens, the converter fails and needs to be replaced (since nobody repairs them any more).....

What typically happens is the owner has an issue with the battery or the converter, replaces the battery, the converter can't charge it, the battery gets damaged, the owner (having already replaced the battery) then replaces the converter and the battery damages the new converter and the "vicious cycle begins"....

Whether it's the battery damaging the converter or the converter damagind the battery, BOTH need to be operational and both need to be checked when one or the other has an issue and the 12 volt electrical system has issues.

ALWAYS HAVE A BATTERY CONNECTED TO THE 12 VOLT SYSTEM WHEN THE TRAILER IS IN USE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE WARNING LABEL 1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	41288   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE WARNING LABEL A.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	41289   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE WARNING LABEL B.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	41290   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE WARNING LABEL C.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	41291   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE WARNING LABEL D.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	41292  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:06 AM   #19
jstijerina

Thank you! My RV is a 2008 Keystone Outback Sydney and it did not have the label, but it makes sense to have both in working order as you say. I'll get the batter re-checked and fully charged before I install the new converter.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:17 AM   #20
skids

That is a very good explanation John.

Tags
converter, power