Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #1
bearsgirl

Newbie mistake

Brand new 1st time owner so please be kind...

I had my 2022 cougar 290RLS delivered because I don't have a tow vehicle. I assumed they leveled it when they disconnected it but now the wardrobe slide won't go out any further and won't come back in. It looks misaligned. I read it's probably because it's not level. Did i ruin it? How do I fix it? Is that covered under warranty? Also, how can I now lift the stabilizer legs so I can put blocks under to level it without a tow vehicle to support it?
bearsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #2
Canonman

Sorry for your problems, but welcome to the forum.
Maybe a dumb question, but have you verified if your Cougar is actually unlevel? Front to back and side to side?
The wardrobe slide is probably a cable driven Accu Slide. If you can include a photo, folks here can verify the slide type and help with suggestions.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #3
jasin1

i would verify that you have everything plugged in correctly and a charged battery ..make sure the battery cutoff switch is in the correct position.

id get a 2 ft level and check on your kitchen floor how close to level it is.

if it’s a schwintek slide i read where they are having problems with 2022 models.

it would have to be pretty far out of level to cause a problem i would think
Old 07-11-2022, 10:40 AM   #4
Canonman

This is a 5er with three slides. Since the OP only mentions the wardrobe slide I would assume the others are working OK. That's the same reason I suggested verifying the trailer is actually out of level. Maybe the wardrobe slide was the first one they tried.
Very often, the reason a slide gets "jammed" is because something is wedged between or under the slide box and the wall or floor. I'd be looking closely at that.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
This is a 5er with three slides. Since the OP only mentions the wardrobe slide I would assume the others are working OK. That's the same reason I suggested verifying the trailer is actually out of level. Maybe the wardrobe slide was the first one they tried.
Very often, the reason a slide gets "jammed" is because something is wedged between or under the slide box and the wall or floor. I'd be looking closely at that.
The kitchen slide (same side as wardrobe) worked perfectly. The living room slide does make a "crunching/grinding" sound when it seats coming in.
There is nothing in the rv yet so it's def not anything inside wedged. I've only had it 2wks, it's parked on a dirt lot, not hooked up to power or water, no trees or anything nearby so I didn't think to get up and sweep it before retracting it
Old 07-11-2022, 11:15 AM   #6
bearsgirl

Quote:
Maybe a dumb question, but have you verified if your Cougar is actually unlevel? Front to back and side to side?
The wardrobe slide is probably a cable driven Accu Slide. If you can include a photo, folks here can verify the slide type and help with suggestions.
With my level of knowledge there are no dumb questions lol. I don't have a big legit level like someone below suggested. Just a little one that came in a toolbox I got years ago. But I can go get a "real" one. My little one showed it was pretty level. At least within the middle guidelines. I do have pictures but I need to figure out this site and how to upload them. Thank you all so much for this help!!!
Old 07-11-2022, 11:17 AM   #7
bearsgirl

Quote:
I think I attached a picture... Lol it posted sideways on here for some reason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220711_113946.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	40657  
Old 07-11-2022, 11:20 AM   #8
bearsgirl

Quote:
I don't even know what type slide mechanism this is
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220711_113955.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	40658  
Old 07-11-2022, 11:21 AM   #9
Canonman

If you are not hooked up to "shore" power and have been running on battery power alone, then it may just be a low battery issue. Those slide motors pull a lot of power.
Are the other two slides still working? Is there any sound at all when you try to operate the wardrobe slide?
Your little level will get you ball park close. Just be sure to look at front to back and side to side.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:22 AM   #10
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsgirl View Post
I don't even know what type side mechanism this is
That's a Schwintek, for sure
Old 07-11-2022, 11:26 AM   #11
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i would verify that you have everything plugged in correctly and a charged battery ..make sure the battery cutoff switch is in the correct position.

id get a 2 ft level and check on your kitchen floor how close to level it is.

if it’s a schwintek slide i read where they are having problems with 2022 models.

it would have to be pretty far out of level to cause a problem i would think
It is not hooked up to shore power, but there are 2 200watt solar panels with batteries which I'm told is enough to deploy the slides? The others will deploy and retract
Old 07-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #12
bearsgirl

Quote:
If you are not hooked up to "shore" power and have been running on battery power alone, then it may just be a low battery issue. Those slide motors pull a lot of power.
Are the other two slides still working? Is there any sound at all when you try to operate the wardrobe slide?
Your little level will get you ball park close. Just be sure to look at front to back and side to side.
It's not hooked up to shore power, but there are 2 200watt solar panels that I'm told should be enough to work the slides. I live in Las Vegas so those panels are def at full power lol . After the initial deploy and it stopped, it doesn't make any more sound. The other 2 slides work fine, the living room slide does make a crunching/grinding sound when it comes in and seats?
Old 07-11-2022, 11:36 AM   #13
bearsgirl

Quote:
Here are front/back & side/side level pics. They are from the inside island counter. I didn't think to use the floor lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220711_114136.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	40659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220711_114128.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	40660  
Old 07-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #14
Canonman

I grew up in Vegas so I know you have plenty of sun Also, looks like from your photos you're level enough.
I'm assuming the two large slides are still operating even after the small slide quit.
So back to your question about warranty the answer should be yes, it's covered.
This may be a fuse problem. There is a power center inside the trailer, usually in the living area. It looks like the attached image. Inside are both fuses and breakers. You're looking for a blown fuse. When they blow they look different than those that didn't. So look for one that looks different. If you're lucky they might have actually labeled them. There some other resettable breakers located by the battery that we can get into later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	91K0WSyJ1ZL._AC_SX569_.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	40661   Click image for larger version

Name:	81iM-jFMlzL._AC_SX569_.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	40662  
Old 07-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #15
bearsgirl

Quote:
I grew up in Vegas so I know you have plenty of sun Also, looks like from your photos you're level enough.
I'm assuming the two large slides are still operating even after the small slide quit.
So back to your question about warranty the answer should be yes, it's covered.
This may be a fuse problem. There is a power center inside the trailer, usually in the living area. It looks like the attached image. Inside are both fuses and breakers. You're looking for a blown fuse. When they blow they look different than those that didn't. So look for one that looks different. If you're lucky they might have actually labeled them. There some other resettable breakers located by the battery that we can get into later.
Yes the other 2 slides still work. The kitchen one makes no weird noises, the living room one makes a crunching/grinding sound when coming in and seating.

I saw the breaker box but didn't realize it was the fuse box too. I will have to look when I go over there again.

What kind of fuses should I get to have in hand? Are they specific to RV's? I've seen fuse sets for sale on Amazon, but I wouldn't know the difference between them.

I bought this model from a dealer in Oklahoma because I couldn't find it here. The problem with that is, now I have to use dealers here for service (apparently they don't like that I bought elsewhere lol). The only place that would even let me make an appointment was Blue Dog and that's not till August.

You have been SO helpful and not making me feel stupid. I feel so much better about this. Thank you!!! (I will have a million more questions, so you've not heard the last of me lol)
Old 07-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #16
dadnjesse

That's a schwintek slide. If you stopped part way they get out of sink, especially if it's a large slide. I have a large one and a small one the large one gives me problems. I also heard the newer ones were having problems. I would call the dealer, if there not far away they may sent someone to help.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #17
Canonman

No problem. Any of us are happy to help as best we can.
You might want to look up a "Mobile RV Repair" service. There should be one in the Vegas area. Some are approved for warranty repairs so it's best to check with them before starting any work.
Fuses are pretty simple. The fuses in your RV are the same/similar to the fuses in your car. They are marked as well as color coded with amp rating. If you find a bad one just replace it with one of the same rating.
You can buy a $10 assortment from Amazon or Walmart that will cover just about anything. Good to have on hand in any case.
Good Luck! Keep us posted with your progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_9541.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	40666  
Old 07-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #18
bgrhrdt

I have the same trailer. The wardrobe is a Schwintek slide. It gets out of sync unless it's fully extended, then fully retracted. In other words, you can't do a partial open or partial close.

The noise you're hearing on the living room slide is normal. When it's at the end of its travel, either in or out, it will make that grinding sound. Just stop when you first hear it.

The kitchen slide is relatively quiet. No distinctive noise at the end of its travel.

The living room and kitchen slides can be partially operated and don't get out of sync.

There is a procedure for Schwintek slides to sync them up again, but I'm hoping there's someone more experienced than I am that can help you with that.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:18 PM   #19
bgrhrdt

This may help with the Schwintek:

https://store.lci1.com/blog/retiming...syncing-issues
Old 07-11-2022, 05:20 PM   #20
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrhrdt View Post
I have the same trailer. The wardrobe is a Schwintek slide. It gets out of sync unless it's fully extended, then fully retracted. In other words, you can't do a partial open or partial close.

The noise you're hearing on the living room slide is normal. When it's at the end of its travel, either in or out, it will make that grinding sound. Just stop when you first hear it.

The kitchen slide is relatively quiet. No distinctive noise at the end of its travel.

The living room and kitchen slides can be partially operated and don't get out of sync.

There is a procedure for Schwintek slides to sync them up again, but I'm hoping there's someone more experienced than I am that can help you with that.
I also have the same 5er. Was told during my PDI to run the Schwintek slide out and in until you hear the motors stop. They do an adjustment to keep it in alignment. And as stated, try not to stop the slide until fully extended or retracted.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags