Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2022, 06:29 AM   #1
James.Kelly

In Command Lockout Help

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Setting up after arrival and incommand buttons are not working. They light up and stay on but nothing happens. Travel lockout is shown but no unlock option. Battery voltage reading 0, plugged into 50 amp and battery is tested and operating properly. I have completely killed all power to the system in hope of a fresh reset which did not help.

Everything associated with the system is not working but things like fridge, manual lights, leveling system are working fine. Got the slides out by taking off the housing and using the manual buttons. Water pump, heater, main house lights, awning all disabled.

All fuses seem fine in both computer housing and inside in breaker box.

Just looking for any insight, of course it was discovered at 7pm on Friday of 4th of July weekend so just making the best of the situation. We have never had any problems with it previous to this..

2018 Outback 330RL
James.Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:36 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Does your trailer have a battery disconnect and if so is it in the correct position?

Follow the positive lead from the battery to the junction box, you will probably find one or more resettable circuit breakers, make sure your getting 12V on both sides.

I’m sure others will come along soon with more to offer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:02 AM   #3
James.Kelly

Disconnect has been in the correct positions, I will try tracing the battery. Ignoring the situation for time being so I do not go crazy.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:06 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Can you locate the BCM? probably in the front compartment somewhere and verify 12VDC to it?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:07 AM   #5
RickV

Every so often my will lock up I have found that holding the ON-OFF button in until it reboots seems to clear up the problem.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:09 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

First, disconnect all power to the trailer. Unplug the shore power and disconnect the battery. If you have an "active solar system" also disconnect that. That will put your trailer into a "no power condition" and will reset the In-Command circuitry. Leave the trailer in "no power" for about 5 minutes, then reconnect ONLY THE BATTERY and the In-Command should reboot. Try the system and see if it has booted up properly. It should.....

Then, reconnect/reactivate the solar system and then connect to shore power.

Hopefully the system will now work.

If not, I believe your trailer has a "Giggy Box" electrical system on it. Follow the POS battery cable and it "should" go to a small black box with a cover. Open that box and you'll find several DC mini-breakers, a couple of switches and a terminal block for DC (battery) wiring.

I'd suspect either an electrical connection issue or a DC mini-breaker failure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:11 PM   #7
LHaven

An over-the-air software update became available two days ago, but it shouldn't have installed itself without asking you to initiate the update. (I don't know what it did... the only visible change I noticed is that there are new back and forward arrows on various screens.)
Old 07-03-2022, 06:00 AM   #8
ChuckS

Don’t know if you have the Pro or Pro Plus version of In Command so I have added pics of both BCMs and which PIN number on the BCM is getting a 12 volt DC signal IN that is turning on the lock out on the screen

Locate the correct terminal screw on the BCM for your version and remove the single wire at that terminal indicated in Red

This will turn off the lock out mode and allow the In Command system to operate

If this does not clear the lockout then you have most likely an internal failure on the BCM board itself and a call to Jensen ASA In Command Support May get you further advice

See images and screw terminal marked in red for each version

There may also be a relay on the BCM that is hard latched for that pin terminal and if so this could also be causing the lockout mode to flag.. try swapping relays with one from another location if this terminal has a relay tied into its circuit

Edited… normally the lock out function only triggers when it detects incoming 12 volt source signal from tow vehicle 7 way connection

That why I want you to remove the single wire at the BCM for the lockout,, thus will eliminate any chance of stray voltage to that terminal on the BCM

If lock out still shows then the circuit is getting 12 volts elsewhere and this is your problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D777749D-EB85-4AE4-A073-0D9C3A4F3C6C.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	40526   Click image for larger version

Name:	17D5DE86-ED74-4172-9BAA-FDE9494554C8.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	40527  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:32 AM   #9
fchampneys

I have had same experience. The simplist method I found is to reboot by holding the on/off button down until it reboots. Typically takes about 20-30 seconds holding that button before you see the screen rebooting. Good luck!
2019 Honda Talon 1000X
fchampneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchampneys View Post
I have had same experience. The simplist method I found is to reboot by holding the on/off button down until it reboots. Typically takes about 20-30 seconds holding that button before you see the screen rebooting. Good luck!
While,this often will correct many isssue in the OPS case he has removed all 12 volt DC power to the BCM..same as a reboot and actually it’s called a hard reboot versus a soft reboot by using the reset button on the BCM

He has 12 volt in coming signal to the terminal connections at the BCM for the lockout or a shorted BCM circuit board that is causing the lockout to stay enabled

Old 07-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #11
James.Kelly

I think I am just at a standstill until I can call on Tuesday. I have disconnect the lockout pin, still same issue. Tested all the wiring and all looks good. I believe there is a failure somewhere in the system computer wise that is continuing the problem.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:11 PM   #12
ChuckS

Since you removed the signal wire to the BCM on the terminal for the lockout and the Display still is showing travel lock most likely something else on the BCM is shorted out sending a 12 volt signal ( when power is applied ) and nit clearing

You can easily get any of the items you want to run such as interior lights, water pump, etc to work by simply using a jumper wire at the terminal of the system you want ti turn on and that system will work

Of course your only control will be via the jumper wire used at the BCM on the respective circuit

Old 07-06-2022, 04:08 PM   #13
James.Kelly

Figured I would update for those in the future.

I have gotten nowhere. Expecting my 3rd call from tech support. After lots of wire testing seems that my BCM is acting normal but the problem is with my DC (screen). Preparing for worst case, my whole system is outdated now and not made anymore (after 5 years) so everything will need to be replaced and rewired. Which I assume just to purchase the new unit will be at least a couple thousand. At this point I would take it to a dealership for a trade in but I assume because of nothing able to work properly it will not be benefiting to me. We do not use it enough to have this big of a problem with it.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I am very sorry for your troubles and hope they can come up with a reasonable solution for you. This is exactly the scenario that I worried about if I were to purchase a trailer with InCommand and why I refused (and will going forward) to have a trailer with it. I wish you the best and hope you find a resolution that works for you and your family.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:33 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Back in 2012/2013, Cougar came out with a "glass touch panel" to replace the switches for slides, lights, water pump, water heater, etc. It was a "futuristic looking glass plate with back lighting". Impressive to say the least. Then, about 6 months after introducing the new system, people started having "bottom row won't work" complaints. Replacement panels, while in warranty, were funded by Keystone. BUT .... After warranty, they became the owner's problem. If you look back through the threads on this forum (and I suppose many other forums) you'll find a growing level of frustration, a system that couldn't be repaired, only replaced, and a construction/wiring system that was near impossible to upgrade to the older "manual switch technology".....

I was so thankful that our 2014 Cougar fifth wheel was built with conventional switches on a panel that was attached to the wall.

When In-Command first started appearing in Keystone trailers, I immediately thought back to the "glass touch panels" and the problems they created for owners..... It looks like the "circle of life" or better named, the "circle of frustration" has started to complete the cycle with some of the In-Command system technology....

If nothing else, just finding parts for the outdated systems will be a challenge...

Anybody tried to find a 6AG6 in a Radio Shack recently ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #16
ChuckS

Such a bummer you are having these types of issues with your In Command system.. you may be able to locate a useable DC for the system

I marvel at a lot of the new technology but in most cases prefer the older analog stuff..

And yup I have several NOS 6AG6 tubes.. 75% of my Ham gear is Drake and Heathkkt tube gear…

Old 07-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #17
carmarech

2021 Montana Legacy 5th wheel, we are on our third In Command center! Two bad screens/monitor. The system is completely unreliable. Luckily it is warrantied for two years so no out of pocket expense . . . Yet. Good luck and so sorry for your troubles, you’re not alone.
carmarech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #18
ChuckS

If you have the skill sets you cold remove that circuit board from the BCM and look at the traces and find out why that connection point I identified is getting a stray 12 volt signal to it...

this is what is causing the BCM to lockout... that ONE wire connection sends a 12 volt incoming signal from your truck 7 way plug telling the BCM the truck is connected and to Lock Out the functions...

With that wire removed from the BCM terminal connection point the BCM should have NO 12 volts DC signal to tell the BCM to lock out the display tablet..

What version of In Command?

Pro, Pro Plus, etc?

Old 07-08-2022, 06:10 AM   #19
James.Kelly

After hours on the phone with In-Command and lots of testing it was determined that the board itself if operating 100% but the tablet inside is what is causing the problem. It is not reading or putting out info back to the board.

I have just resorted to using jumper wires and potentially trying to hardwire a new system in. Im guessing installing a new in-command will run a little north of $5,000.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #20
Life-in-Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Anybody tried to find a 6AG6 in a Radio Shack recently ?????
I have some 7199's & a bunch of 3-6 pin diode, triodes, & various other vacuum tubes some in original boxes If I get off the road & back to storage container I might take inventory.

Finding the in-Command parts could be frustrating.
When I first looked @ the BMS on our 2020 24sabwe Cougar I thought about running a wiring harness to the panel area, building a set of spring loaded toggle switches connected to the BCM.
Kind of like the late 50's.
Since things work by jumpers manually on th OP's rig that might be a temporary solution till a new display panel &/or BCM is located.

Another thought: any S/W update uses more memory. There is a way to uninstall the last update. Problem could be one bad memchip address?
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote