Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2022, 11:15 AM   #21
meaz93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We are all giving advice about towing with inadequate tow vehicles, so in that "just our best advice".category some of us have stated that a certain brand of truck is sub standard in our opinion, not necessarily brand loyal or advertising for the others just have had bad luck with that one & offering advice.
After driving that one brand of truck 200+ miles daily for 30+ years I would/will never buy one! Cheaper is not always the best option, which is why the company leased that brand, you usually get what you pay for!
As for family cars we've owned a couple Jeep brand vehicles, several GM models & even a Ford car or 2, in all of the brands have had issues with only a couple. Am now driving a Kia Sorento, bought due to price & warranty, after 15 months & 30k miles am very impressed.
Sorry for the rant! Just felt the need to express MY opinion! YMMV!
Get this...my wife has a 2016 Kia Sorento SX V6.
At 50+k the motor burned up.....than at 59k the transmission shelled?
We drove it to and from Laguna Beach and Phoenix for over 4yrs....daughter was in college there.
Kia is a very upstanding car company as they replaced a new motor & transmission.... plus paid us for the inconvenience of having it in the shop.[emoji106]
I think all brands have their quirks, but it's all in how they treat the customer.
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #22
meaz93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
Ford's V10 was a solid engine after '00. I had an '01 F250 with it and never had an issue. Think we kept that to about 130k before I went diesel. It towed our 30' toyhauler well but it was thirsty (averaged 6-7mpg on the highway around 60-65mph) with the 4.30 rear gears. Pretty sure both had the same Sterling rear end.
Back in the day I purchased Motor Trend in a regular basis.
I still have the mag somewhere, but basically they tested the Ford V10 against the Mopar V10.....and the Ford V10 out performed the Chrysler.
Ford was experimenting with shoehorning that powerplant into the Mustang , but of course the bean counters scraped the project.
So Ford put them into their trucks....the rest is history.
Can you imagine if Ford had actually made a V10 Lightening to go against the Dodge Ram SRT10!
Would have been epic...
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:33 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

As I recall the Dodge V10 had a nasty habit of eating the oil pump housing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #24
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Nope currently have no truck nor rv, but have had both for most of my adult life with hundreds of thousands of miles towing all sorts of trailers personally & professionally, so I believe I'm as qualified as any, & more than most, here to give my advice on about anything concerning rvs, trucks or towing.
As for the Kia, after countless hours of research & comparisons YES I own a Kia, if you don't want one don't buy one. If however you'd look around you'd notice there's LOTS of them & their cousin Hynduai on the highways so there must be a reason. If they're offering 10 year/100,000 mile warranties I'm guessing they're confident they'll last that long so I'm betting on it. I don't think any of the big 3 offer that without the consumer paying extra for it.
If you don't like my comments or advice don't read it!
Now back to our regularly scheduled program!
Danny, Does your Kia have a mower deck?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:39 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As I recall the Dodge V10 had a nasty habit of eating the oil pump housing.
The Ford V10 was known to blow out the rear spark plugs as I recall. The rocket scientist who designed the engine didn't put enough thread. I have the tools and know how to put plug thread inserts in but am too old and fat to want to crawl up on top an engine to do so. BTW: The V10 Triton got better mileage then the 460 it replaced. I swear every time my F250 saw a gas pump it belched in anticipation!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:14 PM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Danny, Does your Kia have a mower deck?
Don't quit your day job, you'll starve to death as a comedian!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:19 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
The Ford V10 was known to blow out the rear spark plugs as I recall. The rocket scientist who designed the engine didn't put enough thread. I have the tools and know how to put plug thread inserts in but am too old and fat to want to crawl up on top an engine to do so. BTW: The V10 Triton got better mileage then the 460 it replaced. I swear every time my F250 saw a gas pump it belched in anticipation!
I’ve done the repair a couple of times, and isn’t that the 2 piece spark plugs? My ‘86 F250 hauled the Jayco in my sig. too many mods to remember other than it got 7.7MPG at 70 MPH with 36 feet of Jayco hooked on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:11 PM   #28
madweazl

Quote:
The plug issue was from the '99 and '00 model years. They are aluminum heads and many people didn't torque to spec. In '01, they went to a bronze (if I remember right) insert that corrected the issue.

Tags
keystone, towing, tow, premier