Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2022, 04:18 AM   #21
ChuckS

Some key info is needed to give you a good response as to troubleshooting

1. What type of thermostat ? Is it a CCC2, LZ, or in command controlled?

2. The other roof AC didn’t work either and it was replaced.. was 120 volts AC power verified at the roof connections? If you did the replacement yourself then you would know.. I hope.. exactly where to measure for 120 volts power

3. Each roof AC unit has a dedicated circuit breaker in the power center panel..I would measure that circuit breaker output for that zone roof AC and verifiy 120 volts is coming out of that breaker to that roof unit before doing anything else

4. Your RV is 50 amp feed with two roof AC units..each AC is feed from a separate feed.. L1 for one unit and L2 for the other.

If the things I’ve identified don’t make sense to you then you need professional help before proceeding further.. IMO

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:02 AM   #22
JBM3M

I put a second unit in my RV and it wouldn't work. Had 110V. Seems that the unit needs the 12V to run the fan and the unit would not work without it. Worth checking. I second if you don't know this stuff you shouldn't be messing with it. Get someone who does before you get shorted out

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:12 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Count me in on the "seek professional help" train. I instructed a couple of electrical courses as adjunct faculty at a local college, both classroom and labs. Safety was always the first most important element. On each first lab of a new semester I would connect a hot dog to the leads of 120 vac in a demonstration rig that I made.

I would inject the hot dog with a saline solution to replicate the "normal" levels levels in the human body. Apply 120 vac via two electrodes and it would cook then explode rapidly. It was a good visual for getting their attention and help them understand the seriousness of what they were doing. Working on your RV's 120 vac electrical system is not the first place to gain experience if you are without any experience. I equate it with putting on a set of hearing protectors and attempting to remove a rattlesnake snake from a box in a dark room.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:13 AM   #24
wrvond

Is this camper even plugged in to shore power, or is it running on the battery?

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:20 PM   #25
Papadod7

Copy that, thanks everyone. Gonna call a tech.
Papadod7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:07 PM   #26
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Count me in on the "seek professional help" train. I instructed a couple of electrical courses as adjunct faculty at a local college, both classroom and labs. Safety was always the first most important element. On each first lab of a new semester I would connect a hot dog to the leads of 120 vac in a demonstration rig that I made.

I would inject the hot dog with a saline solution to replicate the "normal" levels levels in the human body. Apply 120 vac via two electrodes and it would cook then explode rapidly. It was a good visual for getting their attention and help them understand the seriousness of what they were doing. Working on your RV's 120 vac electrical system is not the first place to gain experience if you are without any experience. I equate it with putting on a set of hearing protectors and attempting to remove a rattlesnake snake from a box in a dark room.
Some number of years ago when I was a member of the Mico VFD, we attended a safety demo at the Medina Electric Coop over in Hondo. They used a hot dog to show us just how far high capacity lines could arc (with you as a potential ground) using hot dogs. I think pole voltages are 480V (can't recall for sure) but the demo made me think twice about downed power line contact.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:52 AM   #27
jxnbbl

Even though I agree you shouldn't do this "yet". To me these are things all home owners should know or they can't do anything simple as switch out a light fixture.

Here is romex - LINK

You will see the top example is yellow that is the thicker 12 GA wire inside and a thinner white color plastic version is 14GA. So for the AC it is probably yellow where other outlets in the trailer (or a house) that are 15A would be white.

Every homeowner (or trailer owner) should have an electrical tester like the following. They make them for "high" and "low voltage" but if you turn this on and place it against the plastic outside of the wire it will beep and turn color if the power is on...and will not if the power is off. LINK

So if the breaker is ON but the tester didn't beep there would be a power problem.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:12 AM   #28
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Not to sound rude, but you don't have a volt meter or know how to use it, you don't know what Romex is or what operates on 12 or 120 volt, sounds like you need professional help before you get electrocuted.
You said it before I could! This situation screams for someone with knowledge and an in-person visit.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:47 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Even though I agree you shouldn't do this "yet". To me these are things all home owners should know or they can't do anything simple as switch out a light fixture.

Here is romex - LINK

You will see the top example is yellow that is the thicker 12 GA wire inside and a thinner white color plastic version is 14GA. So for the AC it is probably yellow where other outlets in the trailer (or a house) that are 15A would be white.

Every homeowner (or trailer owner) should have an electrical tester like the following. They make them for "high" and "low voltage" but if you turn this on and place it against the plastic outside of the wire it will beep and turn color if the power is on...and will not if the power is off. LINK

So if the breaker is ON but the tester didn't beep there would be a power problem.
First, not all RV owners are homeowners.
Second, not all homeowners know how to change out a lightswitch nor should they be attempting to.

We all have different experiences and abilities. A lot of people have no interest in "handyman" or mechanical repairs. They may have skills and abilities with other things that far exceed mine and that I will never understand or master. This is what makes a society that allow people to pursue those abilities and interests great. The person that can't master electrical repairs is no less, no better than the brain surgeon.

In my opinion it's great if someone with limited skills and experience want to learn and I'm more than willing to help BUT, there are limitations. Those limitations are situations where unsupervised "on the job" training can lead to disastrous consequences. Electricity is one subject on the top of that list. A couple of simple explination and encouraging words are not sufficiant over this media IMO. Within a forum setting you have a very limited opportunity to acess someone's skills and abilities. Many folks ask the questions that reveal some of that information and I'll recommend that they pay to have it fixed or go to a local adult education center that offers courses for the appropriate subject and get some training.

To me it's about safety. You can do many, many things to a home (with or without wheels) that qualify for on the job training. If the owner makes a big mistake it costs them money to correct it. With electricity the mistake could be your last. Not being dramatic or hand wringing just being honest based on my experience.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:02 AM   #30
jxnbbl

Quote:
First, not all RV owners are homeowners.
Second, not all homeowners know how to change out a lightswitch nor should they be attempting to. ....
I did say light fixture not light switch....and it was just explaining what was being asked. IMO they should not be installing this AC in the first place.

If a homeowner has to hire an electrician to do that they are going to go poor quickly... The basic knowledge of - is this outlet live or is the wire Hot/not is accomplished with the non-contact voltage test. So if you read the responses I had envisioned them buying a volt meter unscrewing caps and starting to test way....not what really was being asked.

So the most simplest of simple "electrical work" I could think of is installing that new light fixture that your wife found at home depot. Even those with some confidence/knowledge that thinks that a light fixture is not live since they "turned off the switch" are making a huge mistake not testing.

IMO it is a required item in the basic tools of any homeowner
Old 06-01-2022, 04:29 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Tools may as well be Christmas tree ornaments if you don't how to use them. Testing equipment is useless if you don't understand what the results mean. I can buy an EKG machine but wouldn't have a clue about the results it spits out. I agree that if one doesn't have or aquire these skills then it will cost them a lot of money.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #32
hawghauler

Papadod7
Where are you located ?
I am in central pa and would be willing to lend a hand if we aren't too far apart
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #33
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Some number of years ago when I was a member of the Mico VFD, we attended a safety demo at the Medina Electric Coop over in Hondo. They used a hot dog to show us just how far high capacity lines could arc (with you as a potential ground) using hot dogs. I think pole voltages are 480V (can't recall for sure) but the demo made me think twice about downed power line contact.
George, we are fortunate enough that our FD C2 works for the power company and is equipped and qualified to do service disconnections at fire scenes. For what it’s worth, most street level power distribution systems (poles along the road) are 13k to 14k (that is 13,000 volts AC to 14,000 volts AC). More than enough to fry your hotdog!
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:40 AM   #34
jim1

And thoroughly cook your goose!! EXTRA CRISPY!! Don't mess with it!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #35
jxnbbl

Quote:
Tools may as well be Christmas tree ornaments if you don't how to use them. Testing equipment is useless if you don't understand what the results mean. I can buy an EKG machine but wouldn't have a clue about the results it spits out. I agree that if one doesn't have or aquire these skills then it will cost them a lot of money.

True, but a non-contact electrical connector as well as a scanner that includes electrical detection should be in every homeowners "tool box". Both are not rocket science and trivial to understand.

Take it from someone that has helped people that have drilled into romex trying to "hang a mirror" or fallen off a ladder since they switched off a light and tried to "raise" the sockets contact with a screw driver...and to their surprise it was still live, found taped wires or hidden junction boxes when doing renovations. Etc....where we live if your only tool is to dial an electrician (or plumber) you might wait a year to solve the problem.

Not that either will solve the last 2 problems, but would give you some insight to talk to someone that might be able to help. They certainly would have prevented the first two situations.

Even my wife, two daughters and now their husbands all know how to use these to identify what "not to touch".
Old 06-01-2022, 11:09 AM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
True, but a non-contact electrical connector as well as a scanner that includes electrical detection should be in every homeowners "tool box". Both are not rocket science and trivial to understand.

Take it from someone that has helped people that have drilled into romex trying to "hang a mirror" or fallen off a ladder since they switched off a light and tried to "raise" the sockets contact with a screw driver...and to their surprise it was still live, found taped wires or hidden junction boxes when doing renovations. Etc....where we live if your only tool is to dial an electrician (or plumber) you might wait a year to solve the problem.

Not that either will solve the last 2 problems, but would give you some insight to talk to someone that might be able to help. They certainly would have prevented the first two situations.

Even my wife, two daughters and now their husbands all know how to use these to identify what "not to touch".
I think you missed my point. Helping folks is great and that's the main activity of this forum. My point is that talking to someone in person or over the phone is completely different than typing a few sentences and clicking on "submit". This is a one way conversation with lot's of interruptions. There are no expressions, vocal tones, or other feedback to give "clues" to how someone is receiving the information or absorbing it. I'm guessing that you had a much longer interaction with those folks you helped than the time spent here. I'm also guessing that you spent some "in person" time with "Even" your family that you listed.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #37
Ibdagriz

I agree with everyone on not wading in unless you have some idea of what you are doing.
I also agree that everyone should learn as much as possible on these things, since it will help you along the way. Since we're all old farts, make sure your younger ones learn it as it will help them and their lives.

I worked on drilling rigs in the 70's/80's when we did everything. That's where I learned most of my mechanical and electrical basics and never slowed down after that.

Too bad we didn't have all the video help there is available these days. Sure would have helped in the "Wow, wasn't expecting that" in my younger days. LOL..

Griz
Houston, TX
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:44 AM   #38
jxnbbl

Quote:
I think you missed my point. Helping folks is great and that's the main activity of this forum. My point is that talking to someone in person or over the phone is completely different than typing a few sentences and clicking on "submit". This is a one way conversation with lot's of interruptions. There are no expressions, vocal tones, or other feedback to give "clues" to how someone is receiving the information or absorbing it. I'm guessing that you had a much longer interaction with those folks you helped than the time spent here. I'm also guessing that you spent some "in person" time with "Even" your family that you listed.

Ok I understand. I just think other than telling them to get a non-contact tester, turn it on and touching things..there is not much else to tell them. I had my grandkids fooling with one in the winter. There will come a time when using it as a tool I'll teach them more. Its just such a valuable tool that didn't exist when I was their age or even when my children were born.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:01 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Ok I understand. I just think other than telling them to get a non-contact tester, turn it on and touching things..there is not much else to tell them. I had my grandkids fooling with one in the winter. There will come a time when using it as a tool I'll teach them more. Its just such a valuable tool that didn't exist when I was their age or even when my children were born.
Agree it's a great tool. The one I have has a "high-low" switch. On low it will tell me if a cat 5 cable is carrying voltage.
Old 06-05-2022, 09:52 AM   #40
n1282x

AC-DC circuits

In all fairness, people that are not comfortable with trouble shooting electrical circuits and then they come on this forum to ask for help, you really need data in your hands. That data comes from a voltmeter. You can buy a nice fluke voltmeter on Amazon for $100. Even if you don't know how to use it buy it then get online and read the difference between AC and dc. Before you ask questions on this forum you should have that voltmeter and a piece of paper and you should have already wrote down the readings that you have received. This forum can be a lot more useful if it has the data it needs to make informed decisions.
n1282x is offline   Reply With Quote