Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2022, 03:47 AM   #1
Stacy

Keystone mess up

We bought a new Passport 2022 and guess what our fridge would not work! We have had it since November of 2021 and finally figured out that Keystone never put in a fridge vent!!! So now they can’t put it on the roof due to a beam. Anyone have this issue?
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:52 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

What type of fridge did they install? If it’s a newer 12V compressor type no vent is required.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:57 AM   #3
Stacy

A vent for this is required. Keystone was willing to pay for roof install.. but now there is a structural beam there….. soooo now a new solution will be discussed. Just frustrating.. no fridge
Old 05-30-2022, 04:08 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m curious about which fridge was installed. Any idea what the new solution will be and how did they determine there was a roof beam “in the way”?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:29 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

First off, it might be helpful to the forum if you could create a “signature” for your profile, or at the very least share what model Passport you have and whether it is an East or West variant.

If you have a standard gas/electric absorption fridge, the venting placement is often pretty flexible on the roof, and since they are often installed on a slideout on some models, there are sidewall venting options. The only “beam” I know of that would be a factor is a roof truss (which is only 1 1/2” wide), which runs from one side of the roof to the other, so I am not sure how that is preventing the installation.

Unless you do a lot of boondocking, maybe press them for a new 12v DC fridge as both solution and compensation, since it requires no venting at all.

I don’t know your layout since we don’t know your model, but on mine, the roof vent also provides cover for the grey tank vent pipe. It might be worth looking on your roof and checking that you have at least two tank vents (location, number, and size depend on Passport model).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:00 AM   #6
Stacy

We had to have a mobile tech come out. We have submitted it all to Keystone. Keystone approved. Just hope we can get it resolved quickly Z
Old 05-30-2022, 05:05 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Who's telling you this? Keystone or the dealer? If they aren't willing to install a 12 vdc compressor fridge (if that's acceptable to you) then I'd be discussing a buy back or trailer replacement. In my thinking you purchased a trailer in good faith that should be designed and constructed properly for your safe use. Note having the flue vented to the outside is not safe. A manufacturing flaw that prevents that is unacceptable.

With that said, I wouldn't go in with "guns-a-blazi'n" and start talking about lawyering up. I would ask for a meeting with the GM at the dealership with a Keystone rep on the phone. Express your dissapointment CALMLY and with FACTS. Be prepared with the dates that the issue was identified, who said what, and dates/amount of time that have been devoid of use. All this info gathering will be necessary if you take this further with either a government agency or personal attorney.

Go in prepared, confident and stoic not angry and aggressive. I know it's frustrating but I've found this approach will "plant the seed" that you're not going to stop pursuing this without threatening a lawsuit. Once you threaten to get an attorney most parties involved will stop talking and refer you to their Lawyers.

Good luck and I hope you find resolution quickly.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:08 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok. I’m still asking:

What make/model of fridge was installed?

How was it determined that a structural beam is in the way?

What other remedies are being discussed?

Was the mobile tech authorized by Keystone?

Old 05-30-2022, 05:19 AM   #9
bsmith0404

I’m with everyone else on this one, who determined the roof vent isn’t there and that there’s a beam in the way to install one? As already mentioned, the only “beam” would be a roof truss which is small and easily avoided. Plus, these floor plans are standard, so if there’s a beam in the way on yours, it would be a problem on everyone of that model built

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:40 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Looks like you posted while I was typing. Good to see you're getting resolution.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:15 AM   #11
Stacy

Thanks everyone. It says it needs a vent … the tech has talked to Keystone and they authorized a vent to be installed on the roof. Yes it is a roof truss… the tech also has a speaker in the way… they are calling keystone again to find a solution. It is not on a slide out… I would rather put in a residential fridge. I don’t boondocks… I can’t, as my camper is now in a permanent spot. Trust me… I have has the brand new furnace replaced…. Fan was hitting and sparking… rip in my wall from slide out …. Toilet cracked and leaking… the pipes have rust on them already! It is a 2022. I love the camper design and I have to be honest… i have not had a chance to enjoy it to its fullest. I just want a fridge and not live out of a cooler or a mini fridge. I just wondered if anyone had this issue before.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:04 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
Thanks everyone. It says it needs a vent … the tech has talked to Keystone and they authorized a vent to be installed on the roof. Yes it is a roof truss… the tech also has a speaker in the way… they are calling keystone again to find a solution. It is not on a slide out… I would rather put in a residential fridge. I don’t boondocks… I can’t, as my camper is now in a permanent spot. Trust me… I have has the brand new furnace replaced…. Fan was hitting and sparking… rip in my wall from slide out …. Toilet cracked and leaking… the pipes have rust on them already! It is a 2022. I love the camper design and I have to be honest… i have not had a chance to enjoy it to its fullest. I just want a fridge and not live out of a cooler or a mini fridge. I just wondered if anyone had this issue before.
Sorry you’ve had so many issues. What pipes have rust? What fan was hitting and sparking?. Can you post a picture of the fridge, and the rip in the wall caused by the slide?

Old 05-31-2022, 04:14 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
You still have not provided the information needed to help you.

Please provide the refrigerator brand and model number, the trailer brand and model number, and now, the furnace brand and model number as well as the toilet brand and model.

As for "rusty pipes", Keystone trailers are built with PEX plumbing. PEX is plastic tubing, not metal, so the "pipes can't rust in a Keystone trailer".... What is rusting in yours ?????

There is a vast amount of practical experience in the members of this forum. Most are ready and willing to help you with anything from how to best deal with Keystone to how to best repair your trailer. BUT: we can't help you if you're keeping secrets that are vital to understanding what you have and what is in it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:32 AM   #14
notanlines

I'm not certain I have seen a poster dance round so many direct questions in such a manner.
Here we have a moderator, who happens to be a certified tech, ask a simple question like 'refrigerator model number' and be completely ignored.
What's up with this whole scene?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:39 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'm not certain I have seen a poster dance round so many direct questions in such a manner.
Here we have a moderator, who happens to be a certified tech, ask a simple question like 'refrigerator model number' and be completely ignored.
What's up with this whole scene?
If a person who has not previously been a contributor comes on the forum to vent, then they will vent and I believe are not really looking for technical help. Time to move on.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:40 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Stacy it's not a matter of trust rather it's trying to understand and make sense of it. First a foof truss "in the way" and now a speaker? Is the speaker inside or outside? Replacing a furnace because a fan was hitting? I would think would only require a simple adjustment. Where was the toilet craked? Was it leaking fresh water or dirty? Not doubting what you are saying but just trying to understand it.

FWIW the only pipe that I'm aware of in an RV that is made out of metal that's capable of rusting is the LP gas line. It is a very heavy black iron pipe that requires no maintenance. It will show surface rust and that is natural, it will not cause a leak or problem and will likely outlive you and several generations of your offspring.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:43 AM   #17
bsmith0404

I’m guessing the pipes that have rust on them is actually the gas line, since it’s the only pipe on these trailers. As we all know, many of these trailers get transported during winter months, so good chance it just got salt on it and wasn’t cleaned well/properly when it got to the dealer. Of course, that’s is purely a cosmetic issue and won’t affect the functionality of the RV.

A speaker in the way of a refrigerator vent???? Now I’m even more confused. Some pics/trailer brand/model number would definitely be helpful in this case.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:28 AM   #18
Stacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If a person who has not previously been a contributor comes on the forum to vent, then they will vent and I believe are not really looking for technical help. Time to move on.
1st I am looking for help. 2nd my phone doesn’t let me know anyone responded… 3rd, I am a teacher and I have been busy.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:30 AM   #19
Stacy

This is the make and model. I needed to get the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68F50BD8-F91A-4770-8398-17E59CF3A8F7.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	39974  
Old 06-01-2022, 04:32 AM   #20
Stacy

Speaker is directly above access panel… the coils to fridge go up pretty high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8F66F6D-2816-4BF8-A174-B07A2D62C08F.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	39975  

Tags
keystone