Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2022, 06:44 AM   #21
yek54321

Thanks. After thinking on the problem for awhile, I finally realized that these two outlets are just standard mobile outlets which happen to be installed in a GFCI protected circuit. I am headed to the hardware store now. Stay tuned.
yek54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:47 AM   #22
Gkri

The RV outlets are self-contained and do not require a box. Changing to residential outlets requires an "old work" box that will house the receptacle and has the same wings as the RV outlet to hold it in place. due to wall thickness, you will need a shallow, old work box.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:10 PM   #23
yek54321

I am just replacing the outlets with the original type. From how the situatiIon developed, I am convinced that the outside outlet was destroyed by my workshop vac and the kitchen outlet was murdered by my Keurig 13.5 ampere coffee pot. I realize that the mobile outlets are inexpensive (cheap), but it is the easiest fix and they did last 9 years. Thanks everyone for your interest and help. Will put a wrapper on this when it is concluded.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:42 AM   #24
Domino3665

There can be a condition with GFCI circuits called “nuisance tripping.”
It’s when you have multiple GFCIs on one circuit. A GFCI at the main circuit panel and then another one at the outlet. It is a bit redundant and it can cause the breaker to trip needlessly. Check it out for yourself.
Maybe “yes”…maybe “no”…but worth having a look.
Good luck. 👍
Domino3665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #25
yek54321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino3665 View Post
There can be a condition with GFCI circuits called “nuisance tripping.”
It’s when you have multiple GFCIs on one circuit. A GFCI at the main circuit panel and then another one at the outlet. It is a bit redundant and it can cause the breaker to trip needlessly. Check it out for yourself.
Maybe “yes”…maybe “no”…but worth having a look.
Good luck. 👍
I have been meaning to close the chapter on this book. It ended up being what I suspected. I had two bad outlets. For expediency sake, I replaced both the kitchen and outside outlets with the original type;however, they were better than the originals in that their cover was manufactured in such a way as to force the wires into into the receptacles to ensure that they stayed. My circuit only has one GFCI outlet with the kitchen and outside outlets being in the same oircuit breaker protected circuit , protected by the one GFCI. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #26
rlh1957

RV OEM outlets(regular and GFCI) are crap.
Take one apart and see or watch some You Tube videos.

In comparison to residential outlets the RV outlets don’t use strip and secure wiring. They use a pass thru crush style that merely pierces the insulation.
Contact and load handling ability can be spotty, increased heat under load and sporadic drops, GFCI tripping or breaker popping.

I replaced all of my outlets and GFCI’s with good residential outlets.

When tracing some outlet outages on my bro in law camper I found one circuit had Two GFCI’s on the same line.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #27
yek54321

Yes they are the best, but it was easier for me to use same type, but better than stock. Stripped wires and used ones witmolded plastic tops wich locked wires deeply in slots. Fingers crossed. Thanks ��
Old 05-09-2022, 03:00 AM   #28
jimborokz

It's not an overload that trips a GFCI, it's a slight imbalance of the load or a leak to ground. You problem was likely due to the issue with the outside outlet. That cheap thing probably had a leak to ground. You fixed it by replacing the two faulty outlets.
Now have a good cup of coffee.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #29
Fearon4

Thank you for your advise, We had the same problem were none of the GFI protectors were working and we only have one GFI receptacle we ended up testing it and finding out that the load side was not working . So we replaced it and now all outlets are working. Thank you RVGator
Fearon4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfci