Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
tracie britt

Keystone Outback 291UBH

Hello - we purchased a 2021 Keystone Outback last year from private owner and it was already winterized. Today my husband is de-winterizing it and we cannot figure out how to get the hot water tank to fill. We figure by watching you tube & googling there is a bypass valve still closed. But we cannot find the hot water tank. There is a water tank by the bed in a compartment, but should there be a separate hot water tank back by the water heater? We are going crazy trying to find this. Please help us newbies!
tracie britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:02 PM   #2
tracie britt

Hello - we just purchased a Keystone Outback 291UBH as well. For the life of us we cannot figure out where the hot water tank is, or is there one? We dewinterized it today, but cannot get water into the hot water heater. We figure by watching videos there is a bypass not open, but cannot find the actual hot water tank. Can you help us? Thanks!!
Old 04-25-2022, 01:02 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracie britt View Post
Hello - we purchased a 2021 Keystone Outback last year from private owner and it was already winterized. Today my husband is de-winterizing it and we cannot figure out how to get the hot water tank to fill. We figure by watching you tube & googling there is a bypass valve still closed. But we cannot find the hot water tank. There is a water tank by the bed in a compartment, but should there be a separate hot water tank back by the water heater? We are going crazy trying to find this. Please help us newbies!
Folks incorrectly refer to water heaters as hot water heater and I think you may be searching for two things when there's only one. Your trailer should have a fresh water holding tank that you fill when city water is unavailable, and a water heater.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #4
tracie britt

That's what I was thinking too. That there is just one tank, and that water runs into the heater. I just wish we could figure out why the water isn't going into the heater. It's coming out all the faucets, so we figure it has to be a bypass not open, but we cannot find it. I've you tubed and googled everything we can think of
Old 04-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

If you cannot find the water heater (not clear from your post) look outside for a square panel about 1'x1' with a removable panel with vents in it. The water heater will be inside the camper on the opposite side of the wall. The bypass valve will be behind the water heater. You most likely will need to remove a partition panel to access it.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #6
tracie britt

We have looked back there thinking it was under the bunks, or in closet. Not finding anything that looks like it's a hidden access. We are still trying, but frustrated. Maybe should call Keystone. I was hoping someone on here had the same camper and could help. I do appreciate you trying.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:15 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hello - we just purchased a Keystone Outback 291UBH as well. For the life of us we cannot figure out where the hot water tank is, or is there one? We dewinterized it today, but cannot get water into the hot water heater. We figure by watching videos there is a bypass not open, but cannot find the actual hot water tank. Can you help us? Thanks!!

Look at the approx. 11:00 minute mark. The fellow says this one has a tankless water heater - is yours like that?

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. That there is just one tank, and that water runs into the heater. I just wish we could figure out why the water isn't going into the heater.
You will need to turn the winterizing by-pass valve back to a "normal" position. Open a faucet hot side, turn on the water (either city water or water pump) and wait. It will take a min or 2 for the air to purge out of the tank while it fills with water. DO NOT TURN ON THE WATER HEATER ELECTRIC HEAT while the tank is empty as it will burn up the electrode.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #9
tracie britt

This is not what ours looks like. Ours is not tankless. Thank you though. I can't believe it is this difficult to find.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:21 PM   #10
tracie britt

Do you know where this by-pass valve back to a "normal" position is? I know it seems crazy, but we cannot find this in our camper.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Looking at pics of one for sale my guess would be in the cabinet behind the toilet.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

You don't have a square, black metal cover on the outside of your trailer anywhere? If it's not tankless you have to have a way to drain it as well as bypass the tank. Look for that metal cover...it will sort of look like the one in the video but will probably have a lot of vents on it.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:26 PM   #13
tracie britt

We do have that box, and a heater. We just can't figure out where the bypass valve is at the tank. I'm sorry, we probably just need to take it to a dealership and have them show us. I'm just getting more confused.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:29 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
We do have that box, and a heater. We just can't figure out where the bypass valve is at the tank. I'm sorry, we probably just need to take it to a dealership and have them show us. I'm just getting more confused.
According to the video that has the valve connected in the convenience center. Video is a 2022 model so back to looking at a '21 for sale it looks like the access panel is just forward of the slide which looking at the floor plan would be the bathroom. That pic is a bit blurry so it's just a guess.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Try this:

Go outside on the roadside of your trailer. On the aft corner you should see a metal door with a screen attached to the upper corner. That is your water heater.... CONFIRM THAT IT IS LOCATED THERE, which is like the first photo below.

Next, go inside, to the same location. You'll see (as you're facing the rear wall of the trailer) a set of bunks on the left, a ladder on the right with a wardrobe above the ladder. Below the bunks you'll see two drawers. It will look like the second photo below.

Remove the drawers and look inside, to the space behind the ladder. That is your water heater. On the lower PEX pipe going into the water heater, you'll see a 1/4 turn valve. That is the "winterization valve". It will look like the third photo below.

Turn that 1/4 turn and you should be able to fill the water heater tank, which is inside that styrofoam box surrounding the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	291UBH water heater location 1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	39448   Click image for larger version

Name:	291UBH water heater location 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	39449   Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER HEATER BYPASS.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	39450  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
According to the video that has the valve connected in the convenience center. Video is a 2022 model so back to looking at a '21 for sale it looks like the access panel is just forward of the slide which looking at the floor plan would be the bathroom. That pic is a bit blurry so it's just a guess.
Yep, post 2 that I responded to didn't say anything about a 2021, only "just purchased". Looks like it's in the same location just not tankless like the video. I think John got them under the bunks.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #17
tracie britt

Yes!! Underneath the bunk beds! You have to take out the bottom drawer to get access!! We found it, thank you all so much! Why did they make that so hard and not even put it in the manual?!? Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-25-2022, 02:52 PM   #18
Laredo Tugger

It was easy for them to install the valve in that location during construction. For as often as it gets used they were not concerned with access difficulty.
As for a manual?
They build so many units so fast that "schematics " and specific instructions are but a dream.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:43 AM   #19
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.

Tags
keystone, outback