Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #1
Phil53

Refrigerator issues

Had two issues with my frig. First time, we arrived at our seasonal site and discovered that the refrigerator was out…lights off, freezer defrosted. I changed a fuse from the main panel, and it was fine for a few days….then died again. Now im having issues with sparking when i change the fuse. Also wondering if at some point The frig may have switched over to gas, as my tank drained somewhere in the process. Appreciate any suggestions you may have on what to check…2017 Keystone Cougar. Thanks!
Phil53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:42 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Make and model of fridge?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 05:24 AM   #3
Phil53

Its a Dometic DM 2852
Old 04-22-2022, 07:07 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Any chance you may have been hit with a power surge? If you do not have an EMS or a good surge protector, it's possible you might have been hit. Electricity is fickle. A surge can take out one appliance and leave a different one perfectly fine. It's just a thought?
Old 04-22-2022, 08:42 AM   #5
Phil53

Interesting thought. We asked if they'd lost power that week and the camp had not....but it does sound like that might be the issue. I'm also thinking that I might have run successfully on gas before the tank ran out (which coincidentally happened around the same time.) Next trip I plan to disconnect the battery, see what runs on house current, try it on battery after replacing fuses.... and try running it on propane....just to isolate whether it's an electrical issue. I'm also curious; wondering if there's a fuse box on the back of the frig that might have been blown.....
Old 04-22-2022, 09:18 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil53 View Post
Interesting thought. We asked if they'd lost power that week and the camp had not....but it does sound like that might be the issue. I'm also thinking that I might have run successfully on gas before the tank ran out (which coincidentally happened around the same time.) Next trip I plan to disconnect the battery, see what runs on house current, try it on battery after replacing fuses.... and try running it on propane....just to isolate whether it's an electrical issue. I'm also curious; wondering if there's a fuse box on the back of the frig that might have been blown.....
Your fridge uses 12VDC for the control board, interior light and front display. 110VAC is for the heating element in the chimney. If you blew a 12V fuse, I would look at the backside lower access and verify connections and dry conditions. Next remove corner covering the burner, look for soot, debris and foreign stuff.

The stiff wire is the sparker/flame sensor. Check the gap ( 1/4” IIRC). Feel free to use compressed air to blow the area clean.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:22 AM   #7
Phil53

I disconnected the battery and replaced the fuse. They second I reconnected it, the fuse blew again. Plan is to go after the back of the unit next trip….see if the fuse in the back is still good, and check out some of the additional suggestions. I’ll post when I know more…Thanks!
Old 04-27-2022, 07:08 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil53 View Post
I disconnected the battery and replaced the fuse. They second I reconnected it, the fuse blew again. Plan is to go after the back of the unit next trip….see if the fuse in the back is still good, and check out some of the additional suggestions. I’ll post when I know more…Thanks!
Things to remember:

1. If you are connected to shore power, you WILL have 12 VDC provided by the power converter regardless of the battery connection status.

2. Disconnecting the battery and being plugged into shore power will not remove 12 VDC from the fuse panel.

3. If you have EITHER the battery OR shore power connected, you will have 12 VDC available (pending fuse status) at the refrigerator.

4. Disconnecting the battery or pulling the 12 volt fuse will NOT remove 120 VAC power at the refrigerator. YOU MUST ALSO SHUT OFF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER AND/OR UNPLUG SHORE POWER !!!!! Otherwise, you may electrocute yourself.....

5. When using compressed air to clean the carbon/soot from the burner assembly, do not use "extremely high air pressure". There is a "twisted heat deflector" that hangs in the top of the chimney (near the top fins on the back of the refrigerator). Directing high pressure air into the chimney can (not will) blow that deflector plate off it's hanger.

6. There are two fuses behind that black plastic cover on the back lower left side of the refrigerator. Check them with a multimeter to confirm their status. If either of those fuses is blown, the refrigerator may not work, BUT even if both of them are blown, it won't explain why the fuse on the trailer is blowing. There is something else also going on, so don't just change a fuse and expect it to work. It probably won't.....

Bottom line: There are two voltage requirements for the refrigerator. 12 VDC to run the controls for gas operation AND 12VDC plus 120VAC (shore power) to run the electric operation.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Things to remember:

1. If you are connected to shore power, you WILL have 12 VDC provided by the power converter regardless of the battery connection status.

2. Disconnecting the battery and being plugged into shore power will not remove 12 VDC from the fuse panel.

3. If you have EITHER the battery OR shore power connected, you will have 12 VDC available (pending fuse status) at the refrigerator.

4. Disconnecting the battery or pulling the 12 volt fuse will NOT remove 120 VAC power at the refrigerator. YOU MUST ALSO SHUT OFF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER AND/OR UNPLUG SHORE POWER !!!!! Otherwise, you may electrocute yourself.....

5. When using compressed air to clean the carbon/soot from the burner assembly, do not use "extremely high air pressure". There is a "twisted heat deflector" that hangs in the top of the chimney (near the top fins on the back of the refrigerator). Directing high pressure air into the chimney can (not will) blow that deflector plate off it's hanger.

6. There are two fuses behind that black plastic cover on the back lower left side of the refrigerator. Check them with a multimeter to confirm their status. If either of those fuses is blown, the refrigerator may not work, BUT even if both of them are blown, it won't explain why the fuse on the trailer is blowing. There is something else also going on, so don't just change a fuse and expect it to work. It probably won't.....

Bottom line: There are two voltage requirements for the refrigerator. 12 VDC to run the controls for gas operation AND 12VDC plus 120VAC (shore power) to run the electric operation.....
Just FYI to the OP.
These same operation procedures also apply to your water heater, 12 volt to run on gas & 120 volt/12 volt needed to run on elec.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote