Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2022, 10:03 AM   #1
Black Bark

Slide out opened by itself

Hello,
Our LR slide out decided to open on its own. We leveled it when parking. Just had some adjustments done so it wouldn't rub on the floor when opening and closing and this happened a couple weeks later. Doesn't seem to be related but timing is suspect.
Last year this same slide refused to close on one occasion then a day later did. Has not happened since.
Any ideas of a solution for these seemingly unrelated issues (other than exorcism)?
2017 Alpine
Black Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
bsmith0404

What’s the temps when you’re having problems? There is a known issue with hydraulic slides creeping during cold temps. I had it happen a couple times when it was around 35 degrees. I thought the issue had been resolved by 2017, but maybe not.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
Black Bark

We have had some pretty wide temp swings lately- 20's to 60's. Not sure when this happened exactly so could have been anywhere in that range. (Our cover held it in place until we opened it for our regular mousetrap check).
Old 03-23-2022, 11:11 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bark View Post
We have had some pretty wide temp swings lately- 20's to 60's. Not sure when this happened exactly so could have been anywhere in that range. (Our cover held it in place until we opened it for our regular mousetrap check).
My guess it was probably the cold. It’s strange how it’ll do it sometimes and then won’t have a problem for a long time. Mine hasn’t done it since 2015.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #5
Black Bark

Ok. I appreciate the response. We get much colder than that and it never happened before but will keep an eye on it. Just don't want it to decide to open as I'm driving down the highway.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:35 AM   #6
ChuckS

If that slide out is hydraulic then its not un usual at all for them to creep out a few inches in cold weather from time to time..

Hydraulic pressure is what holds the this type of slide out extended and retracted..

I've had my BR hydraulic slide creep out twice in the last 8 years..

The best thing you can do is cycle the slides in and out a couple of time to purge the air that is in the system

If the slide continues to creep open the you need to check..
1. that slide out for external leak or internal bypass leak
2. Hydac valve manual override screw - make sure it is fully closed
3. Any evidence of external hydraulic leak for ANY of the slides that are hydraulic

Many Alpines have both electric in wall Schwintek slides and hydraulic slides.

If the slide that is creeping out is electric then you have other issues.. the electric slides would not creep out with the Alpine just sitting parked

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:26 AM   #7
RickV

Had that happen back in September never happened again wasn't cold or anything https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=49086

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:00 AM   #8
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Had that happen back in September never happened again wasn't cold or anything https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=49086
I have never had my BR slide creep out in warm weather.. only cold and down below around 18 degrees or colder.. Nothing wrong with the lines, fittings, Hydac valve ( only one for all hydraulic slides) and also did an internal bypass leak check and found no issues...

I have never had any of the three hydraulic slides drift out during towing in over 39K miles...

Just gotta love those gremlins...

I also will never own a fifth wheel that isn't all hydraulic slides.. The Lippert in wall Schwintek slides are the biggest PITA on the market...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out