Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2022, 07:12 AM   #1
nickistephens

Exclamation Velocity Slide Controller

Can you please tell me where the Dual motor synchronous velocity slide controller is located on the 2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 33 MLS? I have been all through the trailer in and out and I haven't seen it. My slides don't even budge even on a new battery and I can't find the controller to check the lights. Can someone help me with the location of this controller box please?????
nickistephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:20 AM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome aboard and sorry you’re having an issue with your slide. Are you talking about the Schwintek system? If so, the motors are in the walls on either side of the slide. Do a Google search for Schwintek motor removal and you’ll find some videos on how to access them from the exterior and how to re-sync them.

I’ve never worked on them but others here have. Hopefully someone can help us with better detail. In the meantime…do some searching. Let us know how it goes.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:51 AM   #3
nickistephens

The owners manual isn't very informative to me. It simply say's to go to www.lcil.com or www.norcoind.com. I went there and well, not much info on what I need. I'm just trying to find the actual box on the trailer.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #4
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickistephens View Post
The owners manual isn't very informative to me. It simply say's to go to www.lcil.com or www.norcoind.com. I went there and well, not much info on what I need. I'm just trying to find the actual box on the trailer.
Then do as I suggested and do a quick search for Schwintek motors and you’ll see videos that will help you.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:55 AM   #5
nickistephens

The rack and pinion system is by Lippert and the cable driven is by Norco Industries. Just found that but nothing on where the box may be located to check the lights.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum. Now, let's try to figure this problem out for you...

1. You say that TWO (not one) slide is not working. Chances of it being a "slide problem" are significantly reduced if TWO slides that are not using the same controller are not working. The probability of having 4 slide motors all inoperable and/or having two independent slide controllers inoperable, all at the same time is so remote that it's nowhere near the top of any troubleshooting process.....

2. All of the 2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 33 MLS that I've seen do NOT have the Schwintek slide system. The outdoor kitchen slide is a RAM slide (mechanism is under the trailer and slide) and the other two slides are cable operated. You can clearly see the ram under the curbside slide and the cables attached "top and bottom" on the other two slides... There are no Schwintek slides in any of these photos....

3. If both main slides are not working, I'd look at the 12 volt circuit breakers mounted on the bulkhead at the front of the trailer. That bulkhead will span the trailer between the two tongue A-frame members and there will be two or maybe three small "electrical boxes with wires attached to the top".... Those wires will probably be red and will go directly from the + battery terminal to the first of those circuit breakers.... My guess is one of them is your problem...

Anyway, in these photos you can see the ram system on the curbside slide and the cables on the roadside slides... No Schwintek mechanisms and no controllers. If you look above the main cabin "big slide" I think you'll find the motor mounted to the trailer sidewall ABOVE the center of the slide and if you crawl under the outdoor kitchen slide, you'll find rams that come out of the center of the frame rails that power the slide. The motor for that one is on the front (I think) ram and is actually located at the end of that ram which is on the opposing side of the trailer, buried in the belly, above the coroplast liner. There's probably a 15" square sheet of coroplast covering the hole for motor access....

But, I'd bet your problem is a bad/corroded 12 volt DC mini-breaker on the front bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 COUGAR 33MLS 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	38844   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 COUGAR 33MLS 2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	38845   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 COUGAR 33MLS 3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	38846   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 COUGAR 33MLS 5.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	38847   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 COUGAR 33MLS 4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	38848  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:39 AM   #7
nickistephens

Thank you for the welcome!!
All three slides will not retract back in at all. There is no activity at all on all three switches of the slides. Everything else in the trailer works just fine. I have all three slides that will not work at this time. The only breakers I located were in the kitchen with the fuses and a all the fuses and breakers looked fine. Am I missing some breakers?
Old 03-21-2022, 08:42 AM   #8
nickistephens

where is this breaker located the bulk head?
Old 03-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Go to the front of your trailer, locate the battery and propane tanks. Look under the A-frame, behind the tanks, just under the front of the trailer front wall. You'll find the bulkhead there and you'll see the circuit breakers that will look similar to this photo. If you have problems locating them, put your hand on the red battery cable and follow it. It'll guide you to the circuit breakers.

In recent years, I think around 2020, those circuit breakers have been incorporated in a "giggy box" that is mounted to that bulkhead. I don't believe you have a giggy box, but if you do, it'll look like the two photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulkhead circuit breakers..jpg
Views:	57
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	38852   Click image for larger version

Name:	giggy box 1.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	38853   Click image for larger version

Name:	giggy box 2.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	38854  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-21-2022, 09:22 AM   #10
nickistephens

I found a box under the a- frame close to the battery. I will look at this box once the rain stops here and report back. Thank you for this!!!
Old 03-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If, as you reported, ALL three slides are inoperable, IT IS NOT THE SLIDE MOTORS !!!!! There's no way three slide motors ALL burned up or stopped working at the same time. Your problem is an electrical issue occuring at a point where all three slide power cables are joined. The initial power comes from those circuit breakers. One of them, or the wire from that breaker to the distribution box where it branches out to the three motors is causing the problem.

Just for a quick check, is there a battery cutoff switch on your trailer? I think there is, but not sure. If there is a battery cutoff switch, try it IN BOTH POSITIONS to make sure that you haven't just turned off the power to the slides.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
slide