Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2022, 04:28 PM   #1
RMC-318BR

Roof treatment

Hi, new to Camping. I’m an auto collision technician and currently working for a mass transit company restoring busses. That being said I’m pretty handy and would rather take care of my own maintenance. What’s new to me is the roof material. I’m looking for some info on it I should clean/ condition the roof 1-2 times a year to keep the material from shrinking/ cracking? If so what products are the BEST. Thanks

2022 hideout 318BR
RMC-318BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Dicor has videos on YouTube to help you determine roof type and offer maintenance tips.

Your roof membrane won’t shrink but it will eventually get brittle if not treated. You can use Dicor products, and if I remember, Camco makes cleaners and protectants. Most import thing is to inspect and deal with any issues at least twice a year.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Take a look at this link: https://dicorproducts.com/resourcesrudys/

It's the DICOR RV roof systems section of their website. Many/most Keystone RV's these days have Alpha systems TPO roofing membrane, but the DICOR TPO roofing membrane care procedures are the same.

There's a bucket load of good maintenance, upkeeping information on the DICOR site. Don't forget to download the "Rudy's RV Roofcare Handbook" which is the center link on the second row on that website.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Ryan, lots of folks come to this forum as first time owners and while folks generally complain about issues and not mention the RVs with few problems, there does seem to be a theme that the current models being pushed out of Indiana are being slapped together. Too many reports of sloppy builds to ignore.

The one thing that ruins an RV that is most likely to ruin an RV is water penetration and this usually happens where the roof and windows/doors are sealed. Being a bit suspicious about how the campers are now being assembled, I would get on the roof as soon as possible and make sure it it sealed properly. Screw heads must be sealed as well as the periphery around all penetrations and the seam between both from and rear caps and back panels.

The manual you have says this is your responsibility and recommends more frequent checks/re-seals more often than once or twice a year. Watch some videos on HOW and get up there and get familiar with your roof asap. Good luck.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 05:09 AM   #5
Lee

Hi,

Here's how I do it.

First, I get up and inspect the roof and clean/touch up any suspect spots as required with self leveling sealant. Clean suspect spots with Fantastic cleaner, let dry, then seal. After sealant has had time to cure I then wash.

Wash the entire RV with blue Dawn dish soap and water. Scrub the roof with the dish soap and a soft bristle brush. Rinse thoroughly.

I then apply Aerospace 303 to the entire RV. Roof, sides, seals, everywhere. While applying 303 to the roof I do another inspection in case the soft bristle brush revels any spots I missed.

Since the 303 can leave a dull finish,... I lightly buff the sides with an orbital buffer.

YMMV.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:06 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Agree with others about checking the caulking around everything and applying more if you see cracks. The rest of the roof, all you need to do is wash it and apply an RV roof conditioner, sold at every RV dealership parts store, Camping world, and even Wall Mart. My Fifth Wheel is 41 feet long and I treated my roof this last Fall. It took 4 bottles of the RV Rubber Roof Conditioner, and I had about a 1/2 gallon left over from a treatment I'd done before. I used all 4 bottles and most of the 1/2 gallon. I poured it on a little at a time and used a squeegee to spread it. I did it in the evening. The roof was still warm from the daylight sun, so it dried very fast. After I spread it and it dried, the roof became very slick and smooth. That sealer works into the pours of the rubber membrane, seals them, and self-levels, creating a really, really smooth surface .... which is really, really good for shedding rain and dew and condensation. And that's what you want. Water to shed as fast as possible.

Note, I did check with my dealership which RV roof sealer was the best fit for my roof. Mine is an Alpha system, and it turned out the original RV Rubber Roof Conditioner (Dicor) is the same stuff they use and was told that's what I needed for mine too.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:33 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a "historical note"....

When TPO roofs first started replacing EPDM roofing, DICOR was the only game in town. When Alpha Systems first came onto the RV market, the company only produced the TPO membrane and did not produce their own line of "after-care products"... At that time, Alpha Systems recommended using DICOR cleaning and sealing products...

Then, a couple years later, they "branched out into the maintenance/repair arm of the industry" with their own brand of products. Now, AS recommends their products rather than DICOR products...

There is a FAQ section on the Alpha Systems website:
https://alphallc.us/products/roofing/

One of the FAQ questions/answers is:

What can I use to protect my roof?
Verify the type of roof you have. TPO – Just regular cleaning and maintaining of the caulking is sufficient. No protectants/coatings are needed. EPDM – Nothing is needed. If there is chalking, the Protect-All brand of UV protectant does a good job of sealing the surface and slowing down the oxidation/chalking.

Essentially, coating, sealing and "protecting" TPO roofing membrane is a "feel good but doesn't make a significant difference" maintenance activity.... That said, maintaining the waterproof sealant at EVERY roof penetration is VITAL to maintaining the RV from water damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:47 AM   #8
Badbart56

Another option is to get a permanent silicone roof installed. This is something you can do yourself if you want but there are companies that will do it and offer a lifetime guaranty.
Some folks shy away from this option but personally I love it. I had mine installed in 2017 and it only requires washing once or twice a year. I think that really, the only people that don't like it are the ones that don't have it. Somewhere down the line silicone was regarded as Kryptonite to RV's by some folks. But even DICOR offers this option now.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:06 AM   #9
RMC-318BR

Already have done that. All looks good but I’ll be up there at least once a month
RMC-318BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:43 AM   #10
ChuckS

Some like to use 303 and a myriad of other Roof TPO or EPDM treatments, sealers, conditioners, etc.. I suppose they are ok but I have never seen the need yet with any of the RVs I've owned over the years..

Short video of my 2014 Alpine with the Alpha Systems TPO membrane.. It was cleaned late last October for the winter storage at the house..

After several dust storms, rain, and about a foot of snow I took a peak last week just to see how things were looking and to help another fella with a question he had on one of his slide out TPO membrane edge trim strips..

Other than some bird droppings and 5 months of dirt this is how the roof currently looks.. just about like brand new... it is not brittle nor are there any signs of flaking, etc

I only use a squirt or two of dawn dish soap in a bucket of water and a long handled soft RV scrub brush to clean the roof.

I then let it dry and inspect the sealant and touch up as needed.. I wash the roof and slide out roofs twice a year..

https://youtu.be/4lkgaMZMOME

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 08:39 AM   #11
AK Fish

https://alphallc.us/product-care/ states "Although Alpha’s limited warranty IS NOT voided if another manufacturer’s sealants [DICOR], adhesives, tapes or related products are used on the Alpha Roof Membrane, Alpha retains the right to deny liability for any defects or damages caused by another manufacturer’s products. Alpha recommends that Purchasers and manufacturers use Alpha’s sealants, adhesives, tapes and other related products as Alpha is confident regarding the quality of its products."

SO, roll the dice and use DICOR or non-ALPHA sealants on your ALPHA roof membrane or use ALPHA products exclusively. Less important if you are out of warranty.
AK Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof