Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2022, 12:54 PM   #1
PNW Camper

Why was i gullible…what to do now?

So yeah anyway …lesson 1 dont believe salesperson when he say just make a service appt after the 1st year of ownership to take care of any seals or small leaks that may have come up in the beginning of ownership…after that one you will have to check it out once a year on your own…

So yeah noticed the wood above the bed in our 2021 29’ passport was looking like it was bowing out a bit, closer inspection showed some slight wetness on shelf above the bed, figured maybe small leak… dealer response yeah that is your responsibility not covered…

Feeling like a &@ss for actually believing that when we purchased our 1st tt. So now what should we do - is it ruined ir destined to mold out now?

-shaking my head at my ignorance…
PNW Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Some pictures would be helpful to illistrate the issue.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:37 PM   #3
PNW Camper

Its tough to see in pics … just kinda bows out and there was some wetness on shelf just above that area
No water staining that i could see anywhere though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80CDDAFA-29BC-45D3-85BF-6F11EE40EE09.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	38532   Click image for larger version

Name:	216336BB-E48A-4EED-A0EF-EDA060421013.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	38533  
Old 02-28-2022, 03:29 PM   #4
bsmith0404

For clarification, are you still within your first year or have you gone beyond that? If it’s still within the first year, should be under warranty unless you did something to damage it.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
PNW Camper

Outside of it by four and a half months…😑
Old 02-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Camper View Post
Outside of it by four and a half months…😑
Yep, it’s on you now. Your salesman should have been more specific about being sure to bring it in BEFORE the first year was up. With a water issue, as soon as possible.
Old 02-28-2022, 04:26 PM   #7
notanlines

We noticed you left the name of the stealership out of your post. I guess just to be kind to those you spoke so highly of?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #8
Laredo Tugger

PNW Camper.
Welcome to RV ownership. The places you will go does not necessarily speak to where you travel, but can also relate to your adventures repairing and maintaining your trailer, ask me how I know. Since you stated this is your first TT, please ask questions. Best advice I can immediately give you is READ THESE FORUMS !!! You can learn so much from others that will save you major heartburn on down the road. We have some real good folks on here with experience in just about everything related to RVs. And a few folks are certified RV repair techs.
The salesman got what he wanted with a bonus. He got a sale and was able to stand off a warranty repair long enough to wring his hands of it. That's the bad news, the good news is you can probably figure out what is wrong and fix it way faster and probably better than the dealer.
I do not know what the proper procedure is for a fix. I guess if it were my trailer I would drill a small hole into the interior material area where the roof is bowed. Check to see if water comes out, if not insert a piece of wire into the hole and see if it comes out wet or moldy, smelly ect...
Also a thorough inspection of the roof is in order. Get some Dicor (the proper roof caulking material) it comes in a tube that will fit into your caulking gun and is dispensed likewise. Identify obvious cracks and holes around the area in question and fill them. You may need to clean and prep the locations that you wish to apply.
Leave the small hole on the inside OPEN and check as rain occurs or you "test" your repairs with a garden hose spray. When you are confident that you have sealed the roof leak then use some putty for the hole and a little paint over the small hole area. It should not be hard to blend in the repair.
As stated, not an expert but hopefully I'm giving you a good starting point without tearing to much apart. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in with a better way to make your repairs.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 04:47 PM   #9
bsmith0404

Don’t be surprised if the leak is not where the problem is on the inside. Your roof vent isn’t far from there, water could be entering in that area and just running down to the front cap.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:57 PM   #10
PNW Camper

Thank you all in advance for your posts thus far.

To address the post regarding the name of the dealership and my not posting it… my simple answer is my mistake noone elses…i can accept that as the title to my post implied.. moving forward is the only place to go thats it. So thats why the question… ��

Hopefully i can take care of it from here out and it wont have damaged it too bad if it is leaking. The ceiling or roof isnt bowed or water stained. The laminate pseudo wood looking stuff on the inside of the front wall of the trailer is bowed a little along with some slight wetness on the shelf above the top of my picture. If i had to guess it probably is coming from that big sealed seam on the front of the trailer roof right before it slopes down. Good news is no water stains i see, and it has been pouring with intermittent sleet over the last day and a half here. Right befire that about a foot if snow just finished melting off the top too. So fingers crossed .
Old 02-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #11
bsmith0404

That’s probably your source/entry point. Just get some self leveling dicor and run a good bead across it. Just be sure to investigate the rest.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:56 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Your salesperson/service rep. did you wrong with the "bring it in after a year" to have your problems fixed. You have to start right away getting warranty repairs documented and done. At the end of 12 mos. nothing will be done for you under warranty - shame on that dealer.

Sounds like you need to get on the roof and look at that sealant on the front seam and all the rest. Gaps, voids, pinholes, missed spots; cover them all with a new layer of Dicor self leveling sealant.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:53 PM   #13
ChuckS

I always hate to see these types of issues.. Roof maintenance begins the day you buy it... They dealership should have told you this.. If you don't get on the rooftop at least several times a year you sadly will have water leaks and the damage along with it...

a tube of self leveling sealant is your friend when it comes to an RV. roof

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:01 AM   #14
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I always hate to see these types of issues.. Roof maintenance begins the day you buy it... They dealership should have told you this.. If you don't get on the rooftop at least several times a year you sadly will have water leaks and the damage along with it...

a tube of self leveling sealant is your friend when it comes to an RV. roof
Agreed - I buy them by the 4 pak.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:16 AM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Camper View Post
Thank you all in advance for your posts thus far.

To address the post regarding the name of the dealership and my not posting it… my simple answer is my mistake noone elses…i can accept that as the title to my post implied.. moving forward is the only place to go thats it. So thats why the question… ��

Hopefully i can take care of it from here out and it wont have damaged it too bad if it is leaking. The ceiling or roof isnt bowed or water stained. The laminate pseudo wood looking stuff on the inside of the front wall of the trailer is bowed a little along with some slight wetness on the shelf above the top of my picture. If i had to guess it probably is coming from that big sealed seam on the front of the trailer roof right before it slopes down. Good news is no water stains i see, and it has been pouring with intermittent sleet over the last day and a half here. Right befire that about a foot if snow just finished melting off the top too. So fingers crossed .

Can you get the trailer under a covered area? Roof or pole barn for a month to dry out? Maybe pay for 1 month of covered storage to do the repairs.

It would be nice for the roof leak area to dry out completely before you seal it in
Old 03-01-2022, 05:55 AM   #16
German Shepherd Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Can you get the trailer under a covered area? Roof or pole barn for a month to dry out? Maybe pay for 1 month of covered storage to do the repairs.

It would be nice for the roof leak area to dry out completely before you seal it in
What Jasin said. Snow melt is such a slow leak and you need it dry before you can reseal the seams. I ended up building myself a pole barn just to keep my T.T. in. Not everyone is so fortunate but if at all possible that will add years of useful life to the trailer. Also remember, the leak can be a long way from where it shows up. clean, inspect and reseal where needed the whole roof. Good luck, don't be discouraged. Welcome to the brotherhood of RV repairmen (by necessity)

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:48 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

In the meantime, even if you can't locate "undercover storage", remember that water runs downhill. So, if you are storing the trailer, as opposed to living in it, run the tongue jack to "full up" position. That will elevate the front of the trailer, making that transition from TPO to front cap the "highest point on the trailer" and will help is preventing water from "flowing to the leak"....

Also, a well placed (and secure) tarp over that part of the trailer roof/front cap area will also prevent rain water/snow from standing on the "leaking area"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:41 PM   #18
PNW Camper

We do have a barn - working on cutting out the back shelving to fit the tt in it…we are off by about 3.5’…🙁
Old 03-01-2022, 06:47 PM   #19
PNW Camper

I checked out the seam along the front of the roof where the cap meets and it didnt look too bad to me maybe one or two small areas that water might be able to get in. That waa a white colored sealant, there was some that was black in color along the edge of the gutter that looked like it possibly needed some attention more so. Then there was a clear type almost silicone looking sealant along the edges of the walls that probably needs to be gone over. So i am assuming the white sealant is the stuff you all are talking about that comes in the 4pks, but what are the other two types that are used?
Old 03-01-2022, 07:12 PM   #20
wrvond

The first thing you need to do is get a dehumidifier in there and run it continuously. Be sure to get one with a pump and run the drain line to a sink or shower drain. Secure the drain line to ensure it doesn’t flop out and pump water onto the floor.
Let it run for at least five days, longer is great.
In the meantime, it’s been over year, go ahead and recaulk all the seams on the roof, including the edges, paying particular attention to the corners. Seams or joins that have RTV on them can be resealed with Dicor self leveling caulk as can all horizontal surfaces.
Inspect the rest of your roof for cuts or tears as well. Repair any you find with Eternabond tape.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote