Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #1
ChuckS

Keystone Alpines (2022) with Equalizer Hyd System

For those Alpine owners that have recently purchased a new 2022 Alpine you should take the time to identify what Hydraulic system is installed in your Alpine.

The Alpines have always used the Lippert hydraulic pump and control system until 2022 models ( only on some 2022s)...

Lipperts system is IMO an excellent system with good support documentation, available parts and great Tech support..

With the Equalizer leveling and hyd slide system there is NO current support documentation on how the system is wired or controlled ( Slide Outs ).

There is a generic PDF on Equalizer Systems webpage but it is generic in nature and doesn't cover the specifics of the system installed in some 2022 Alpines

My intent with this post is not to bash anyone.. its an awareness point...

Several Alpine owners with the Equalizer system in their new 2022 model are having issues.. Hyd leveling legs leaking, lines leaking and some total electrical failures of the leveling control panel as well as the slide out control... which is incorporated into the In Command BCM

A recent owner is having issues with the 10 amp ATC fuses blowing the minute he tries to extend or retract the hyd slides. This is also killing power to the Equalizer level control panel..

Keystone was contacted and they state the owner doesn't have the Equalizer system installed... his is the Lippert... The VIN # was used to identify the exact unit...

Phone calls to Equalizer System by the OP have not been returned... I sent emails inquiring about wiring info, etc and received a response from Equalizer stating they sell the pump, hoses, etc to Keystone and Keystone installs.. contact Keystone for further info

Keystone was provided the VIN # of the unit and they insist it doesn't have an Equalizer System hyd control and pump installed..

The two images clearly show it is an Equializer System and there is a placard on the 2022 Alpine that says Equalizer System installed...

Since Keystone installed this system, designed the wiring and control to the In Command BCM for slide out control someone somewhere has a wiring diagram as well as theory of operation of how the Hydac valves receive their signals to open an close as well as run the solenoid and pump motor

I would not recommend buying any Keystone Alpine that has this system installed in it...

Images showing the system is clearly Equalizer hydraulic system.. The bank of 10 amp fuses blow when the OP tries to run the hyd slides and also kills power to the control panel for leveling operation

The system has been TS byb the OP and myself and the pump motor appears to be shorted out internally... No Help from Keystone or Equalizer Systems ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	38275   Click image for larger version

Name:	E2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	38276  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Good information, thanks for posting. I’ll keep it in my memory back, and I hope somebody steps up and helps with the fix.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks ChuckS. Buyers need to be aware of this and steer clear. Like KeyTV and a host of other "improvements" (including InCommand) these "new" ideas are installed and still half baked. Exact reason I refused to buy anything with InCommand (although with time they are improving).

Like so many things in these RVs I expect the operation and wiring of that hydraulic system is dependent on the version of wiring the tech found on the bathroom wall. I also expect that the degree to which the system operates correctly depends entirely on how closely the assembly of the hydraulic system resembles the McDonalds burgers the "tech" was assembling last week.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:05 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Sometime I really miss my parents 1963 Phoenix 18 foot travel trailer. The refrigerator was a gas only absorption refrigerator. The "furnace" was a radiant gas heater ... no blowers at all. The trailer came with 120 volt inside wall lamps and it came installed with a gas burning light above the stove that lit the entire trailer if we had no electricity. (like a Coleman gas light). It had no slides, and the water tank was a galvanized steal tank. The water lines were all copper, and in order to get water from the tank, it had to be pumped up with pressure with a bicycle tire pump. No 12 volt water pumps, no electronics, no, television, radios, wifi, and electronics and hydraulics that break and fail! Those days were much simpler! And they used that same trailer for over 20 year and never had a flat tire, and never had any mechanical failure anywhere. Dad did remove the toilet and we used that space for a closet. It also plugged into a normal 120 volt electric outlet and had 1 plug in the entire trailer.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #5
E Rod

I have a 2017Alpine 3660FL and the hydraulic pump looks nothing like that. I love the In Command on my unit, especially the app to be able to switch lights on or off when outside .

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #6
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
I have a 2017Alpine 3660FL and the hydraulic pump looks nothing like that. I love the In Command on my unit, especially the app to be able to switch lights on or off when outside .
Yes your 2021 Alpine has the time tested Lippert hydraulic system..six point level up and probably both electric in wall,slides as well as thru the frame hydraulic slides

Lippert is top notch both with there equipment, their Tech Support Dept and there Technical information that’s out there for the backyard mechanic like myself to use to maintain my Alpine

Equalizer Systems is not in the same caliber in any of the above ..

And keystone states they can’t provide how the Equalizer System is wired in the Alpine and Equalizer states they sold the stuff to Keystone and Keystone installed it so go ask Keystone how it’s wired

It’s a no win situation …

And yes.. I have the emails stating such from Equalizer hydrauilc systems as well as Keystone

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #7
4Buck

Good post, I just looked at a new Alpine and it was the first thing I told the wife. Glad our 2021 doesn't have the new system.
4Buck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, keystone