Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2022, 05:26 AM   #1
Courser Farm

InCommand runs amuck?

I have seen many of the posts about InCommand and the problems with it. My post today is wondering why I can connect to it from my side door one day and the next time I have to go all the way out to the camper. I know Bluetooth range is about 30 feet and I am within that or close. Last night it would not connect to my phone from side door so I went out to turn on heat etc- set at 59F. This morning early I WAS able to connect from my phone- only to see that it was 78F inside! All experiences welcome!
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:36 AM   #2
Courser Farm

Wrong forum….

Admins- how do I put this under Keystone forums? TIA
Old 01-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
jasin1

Maybe try updating the firmware. Also is it possible that your phone was already connected to something else in your home that was Bluetooth and you weren’t aware? It disconnected as you walked towards the camper and connected to the iN·Command ? I have so many Bluetooth devices that it happens to me at times
Old 01-08-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Maybe try updating the firmware. Also is it possible that your phone was already connected to something else in your home that was Bluetooth and you weren’t aware? It disconnected as you walked towards the camper and connected to the iN·Command ? I have so many Bluetooth devices that it happens to me at times
Firmware up to date in camper and on phone. But could be the bluetooth devices.... I think it is only my printer, but I'll look into it. Seems to connect fine when I've put on my coveralls and boots.... about the time I get ready to open the door. LOL. Thanks to all for the thoughts.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Bluetooth is an easily interrupted signal with lots of competition. So mant devices these days that you may jot realize use radio frequencies close to one another. You could have a signal from your computer, smartwatch, remote outdoor temp sensor, headphones, hearing aids, the list is endless. A heavy dew on the camper, rain, other atmospheric conditions can interfere, to say nothing of the aliens out there having fun.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:31 PM   #6
M&M2

If you have the global connect version of iN·Command, have you tried wifi option? That’s assuming you can connect the RV to wifi. I connect the RV to my house wifi, then I can monitor from the app.
M&M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:42 PM   #7
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Bluetooth is an easily interrupted signal with lots of competition. So mant devices these days that you may jot realize use radio frequencies close to one another. You could have a signal from your computer, smartwatch, remote outdoor temp sensor, headphones, hearing aids, the list is endless. A heavy dew on the camper, rain, other atmospheric conditions can interfere, to say nothing of the aliens out there having fun.
Oh my! I have a whole house gen right there with a mobile link that monitors the gen and sends us messages. That just could be the culprit!! Thanks pal
Old 01-09-2022, 05:13 AM   #8
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M2 View Post
If you have the global connect version of iN·Command, have you tried wifi option? That’s assuming you can connect the RV to wifi. I connect the RV to my house wifi, then I can monitor from the app.
I agree with this....if wifi is available the Global Connect option seems to offer much better connectivity consistency.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:55 AM   #9
ChuckS

The Global Connect version with WiFi has its share of issues as well... If you are in an RV park trying to connect to that WiFi system in the RV park presents other issues..

Several OPs in another group I am in have the Global connect version and when in a park on a park WiFi system then In Command control may or may not work due to constraints the park RV WiFi system has....

Also since the WiFi is unsecured you are now open to hacks with those that have nothing better to do then screw with people... and YES, global in command can certainly be hacked into via an open wifi system

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:37 AM   #10
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M2 View Post
Thanks- one more thing I was not aware of. I've connected it to my house wifi and now am in a loop registering the account on my phone. But this is going to be very helpful once I get it registered. Will prolly call them tomorrow. Meanwhile thanks so much for this advice!
Old 01-09-2022, 07:43 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
Thanks- one more thing I was not aware of. I've connected it to my house wifi and now am in a loop registering the account on my phone. But this is going to be very helpful once I get it registered. Will prolly call them tomorrow. Meanwhile thanks so much for this advice!
I’ve never been successful connecting to global iN·Command …I gave up after awhile. I did all the firmware updates and tried everything. My rv has a Late 2019 build date…not sure if they updated the hardware since then..
I envisioned being able to monitor my rv from another state if I wanted to…maybe I gave up too soon but it was frustrating
Old 01-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #12
markcee

Agree with potential connectivity issues using park wifi and global connect. My success is with connecting via dedicated hotspot. We keep a Visible line dedicated for RV use....unlimited data/hotspot. Three lines total on our plan = $30 per month. No issues so far in 2 cross county and numerous local trips.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:35 PM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Also since the WiFi is unsecured you are now open to hacks with those that have nothing better to do then screw with people... and YES, global in command can certainly be hacked into via an open wifi system
There's nothing unsecured about inCommand Global Connect unless the campground WiFi is itself unsecured. Even if the campground WiFi is secured, it's not secured from people who also have the WiFi key, which again is all the campers.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:44 PM   #14
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
I have seen many of the posts about InCommand and the problems with it. My post today is wondering why I can connect to it from my side door one day and the next time I have to go all the way out to the camper. I know Bluetooth range is about 30 feet and I am within that or close. Last night it would not connect to my phone from side door so I went out to turn on heat etc- set at 59F. This morning early I WAS able to connect from my phone- only to see that it was 78F inside! All experiences welcome!
Bluetooth was specifically designed to be short-range, so you're uphill to start with. It uses the same (heavily oversubscribed) frequency range as original WiFi, so active BT and WiFi traffic in the vicinity can interfere with it, decreasing its effective range.

I've discovered that our rig's inCommand BT typically reaches my computer shop workbench, except if my wife is out shopping. It seems that her truck being parked in the carport bounces enough extra signal into my shop to make it work, otherwise it won't.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #15
rlh1957

Bluetooth is Low power wireless frequencies and is interrupted or can be blocked by a “dark shadow!” especially the metal grid of trailer-wall framing.
I have the same spotty connection reception.

I don’t know of a way to boost signal.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #16
Camping family

In command seems to have problems. I updated mine 3 months ago because phone apt would not connect to it. Had problems updating it contact them and was sent a Zip drive with update. Updated problems solved. Now 3 months later I’m getting message updated available and guess what again problems with phone app. Why can’t they just leave it alone why so many updates? Guess I will have to contact them again and hopefully they will send the update again on Zip drive.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #17
jasin1

If I had my fifth wheel or TT close to my house and was keeping the heat on inside I’d probably buy a thermometer to keep in the window that I could see easily without having to open up the rv if I was curious if heat was working or not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	479086A4-7D29-4613-9A65-297A586BC761.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	37900  
Old 01-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #18
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
In command seems to have problems. I updated mine 3 months ago because phone apt would not connect to it. Had problems updating it contact them and was sent a Zip drive with update. Updated problems solved. Now 3 months later I’m getting message updated available and guess what again problems with phone app. Why can’t they just leave it alone why so many updates? Guess I will have to contact them again and hopefully they will send the update again on Zip drive.
I don't understand why having a new update available would suddenly affect your phone connectivity, but...

You ask why they can't just leave it alone. It's quite possible they're fixing the very bug that made it stop working with your phone. In the networking world, there are several common time-dependent issues (like expiring security certificates) that just make your network suddenly stop working for no other reason, and you have to do manual updates to install new ones. It's not a vendor bug, it's the way the Internet was designed to work. You don't see this happening on most devices because they're connected to the Internet all the time and just update themselves as needed. If your trailer isn't, then you will hold certificates beyond the deadline, and then you will see these problems.

Instead of waiting for them to send you a thumb drive with the new update, you can make your own. Just empty out a thumb drive you have, go to their website, download the three files for the new release, and put them on the drive. Then do the install the same way as the last one. See the attachment.

Or even better, if you can get your inCommand connected to the Internet (over your home router or hotspot or whatever), you can just navigate to the software update screen and have it download the new release without bothering with the thumb drive. Look for OTA (over the air) in the Settings menu.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf updating-ncsp3-and-ncsp35.pdf (79.8 KB, 121 views)
Old 01-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I don't understand why having a new update available would suddenly affect your phone connectivity, but...

You ask why they can't just leave it alone. It's quite possible they're fixing the very bug that made it stop working with your phone. In the networking world, there are several common time-dependent issues (like expiring security certificates) that just make your network suddenly stop working for no other reason, and you have to do manual updates to install new ones. It's not a vendor bug, it's the way the Internet was designed to work. You don't see this happening on most devices because they're connected to the Internet all the time and just update themselves as needed. If your trailer isn't, then you will hold certificates beyond the deadline, and then you will see these problems.

Instead of waiting for them to send you a thumb drive with the new update, you can make your own. Just empty out a thumb drive you have, go to their website, download the three files for the new release, and put them on the drive. Then do the install the same way as the last one. See the attachment.

Or even better, if you can get your inCommand connected to the Internet (over your home router or hotspot or whatever), you can just navigate to the software update screen and have it download the new release without bothering with the thumb drive. Look for OTA (over the air) in the Settings menu.

Is it better to use the thumb drive in case of a download issue or losing the internet in the middle of the update?
Old 01-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Is it better to use the thumb drive in case of a download issue or losing the internet in the middle of the update?
I have no experience losing the Internet in the middle of an update, but it's the standard "download and store the whole file first, then install it" strategy. If the Internet fails, the incomplete download is discarded and no update is performed.

Last time I used OTA, it downloaded three files, installed one, had to reboot immediately, then told me it still had two files inside that needed to be installed and asked me to do the next one. So it seems pretty robust.