Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2021, 05:31 AM   #1
BeemerJoe

extension cord vs longer power cord

Hi all
Perhaps someone in this group could enlighten me. We just purchased a new to us 2016 43' Fuzion toy Hauler. I came with a 25' power cord. This to me is totally inadequate for the size of the rig. I'm trying to figure if I should invest in a longer power cord, or just purchase a 50amp extension cord. I figure 75' would be much more adequate in any situation. Not sure how much power an extension cord would loose.
BeemerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:42 AM   #2
rhagfo

Well 100' of total cable on a 50 amp service is a bit long. Consider building your own 50' extension cord from 6/4 SOOW cable. This cable is very easy to handle and stays flexible in cold temps. If you can find it 6/3-8/1 could also work, just easier to find the 6/4.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:45 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

For the cost, I would make my own. Use the appropriate gauge wire and get decent quality ends. All of it should be available at your local big box hardware store. A few years ago I made my own 220V extension cord for my welder so I could do work on the driveway.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

I would build or buy an extension. I converted the stock 25’ fixed cord to a 30’ detachable and then made the formerly fixed cord into a 25’ extension cord. For our RV configuration, the 30’ fixed works 99.9% of the time.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:05 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I would build or buy an extension. I converted the stock 25’ fixed cord to a 30’ detachable and then made the formerly fixed cord into a 25’ extension cord. For our RV configuration, the 30’ fixed works 99.9% of the time.
Did this also. My rig is 30 amp but the principal is the same. I don’t know where yo go camping but out here a 30' cord will reach 95% of the sites providing that I don’t set the trailer at some crazy configuration. Our trailer has the 30 amp inlet inbetween the 2 slides, about 30' back from the ball.

One consideration on a 50 amp power cable is weight. They get heavy quick and you could end up regretting your recision if you lug around the extra weight the majority of the time just to coil it up on the ground.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:38 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If it were me, I'd make sure the current 50 amp shore power cord is in good condition and that the terminal plug pins are not pitted or corroded and then plan to continue to use it. Why? A 25' shore power cord is heavy. A 50' shore power cord weighs two times as much and a 75' cord will weigh 3 times as much. The shore power cord is one of those "necessary evils" that you have to drag out, unroll every time you use it. Then, you have to roll it back up and drag it back to the storage compartment every time you break camp.

Working with a 25' fifty amp cable is difficult, but much easier than with a long cord...

As posted, about 95% of your campsites, 25' will be adequate, and when you need a longer cable, you can add an extension cord... But <the KEY IMO> is that you don't have to lug that heavy cable around "unless you need it"...

I'd opt for a couple of extension cords (for when you need them) over a longer, harder to handle shore power cable...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
travelin texans

I found a 30' 50 amp extension cord that I cut in half added appropriate ends. The 15' was normally enough if needed added to the original 25' to reach anywhere with another 15' if ever needed. All were easy to handle & store with the shorter lengths.
What would also be beneficial is for rv manufacturers & campground designers to decide where to put the electrical connections. I've had several RVs that were about 50/50 with the cord on the side or in the rear & likewise at campgrounds, pedestals either on the side or in the rear, typically the opposite of whichever I had at the time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Javi

I carry a 25 foot extension cord... never had to use it... YET

But I also carry a 15 foot sewer hose and three 10 foot extensions for it too...

Those I've had to use...

After you've owned several RV's it gets redundant when they give you $150 store credit to get you a starter kit This time I took the 25 foot 50 amp extension cord. at least I got it if I ever need it..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:53 AM   #9
BeemerJoe

Well I guess I'll be buying an extension cord.. Home Depot sells a 50' 50amp extension for 140.00. After looking around, that's a pretty good deal. They call it a generator cable, but the connectors are correct and it is a 50amp.. I think that'll be the best route to take for those few times I need it. I already have a couple 30 amp extensions, but in the heat of south Florida, I'm not sure those would suffice in powering my two 15,000 A/C's in my Toy hauler
Old 11-24-2021, 10:01 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Really long lengths of power cable are hard to handle, store and just manipulate for use. I have a 30' 50A cable that I used on my last trailer. It was coiled, uncoiled then placed into the storage compartment after use for about 6 years. The coiling and uncoiling of the cable over the years caused the conductors and sheath to "twist" eventually causing the sheathing to separate from the heads on both ends. Just the 30' of cable was an irritation to pull around.

With this trailer they gave me a 25' cable which I gave back and kept my brand new 36' 50A cable. I placed a reel in the storage compartment and it has made using the power cable a snap.....and extremely easy. I've kicked myself a hundred times for not doing it in the past. I also carry a 15' extension cord which I've never had to deploy.

I can't imagine why I would ever need 75-100' of power cable. Way too much cable to carry around and try to manhandle. If the site required something like that I'd move. There are several issues that can arise when trying to use super long power cables. Now, I also carry my sewer hose extensions and yep, I've had to use those.....don't particularly want to "manhandle" the black tank contents if the dump is too far from my trailer....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #11
BeemerJoe

did you find that 36' with the 15' extension was good? my problem is that I already have a 25' power cord, which is why I wanted to go to a 50' extension. Decisions decisions. lol. I suppose in a pinch I could alway just use my 30 amp extensions. The reel is a good idea though.. will look at my compartment and see if it will fit.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
did you find that 36' with the 15' extension was good? my problem is that I already have a 25' power cord, which is why I wanted to go to a 50' extension. Decisions decisions. lol. I suppose in a pinch I could alway just use my 30 amp extensions. The reel is a good idea though.. will look at my compartment and see if it will fit.

So far we've never used the 15' extension. With the old 30' cable I did have a few occasions where I would have to reposition the trailer so the cable would reach the power ped...barely. In my recollections I seemed another 6' would fix those past situations so I found the 36 footer and went with that; so far it has fit everywhere we've been (we only stay in commercial RV parks). In your case with the existing 25' I think I would just go with an additional 30' cable. That would give you either one to use at a site (whichever one fit best) and then a total of 55' if you needed to use them together. Keep in mind I use an 18" sacrificial extension at the ped that goes into my EMS (probably another 18") which would give me an additional 3' over the standard length of my cable.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If it were me, I'd make sure the current 50 amp shore power cord is in good condition and that the terminal plug pins are not pitted or corroded and then plan to continue to use it. Why? A 25' shore power cord is heavy. A 50' shore power cord weighs two times as much and a 75' cord will weigh 3 times as much. The shore power cord is one of those "necessary evils" that you have to drag out, unroll every time you use it. Then, you have to roll it back up and drag it back to the storage compartment every time you break camp.

Working with a 25' fifty amp cable is difficult, but much easier than with a long cord...

As posted, about 95% of your campsites, 25' will be adequate, and when you need a longer cable, you can add an extension cord... But <the KEY IMO> is that you don't have to lug that heavy cable around "unless you need it"...

I'd opt for a couple of extension cords (for when you need them) over a longer, harder to handle shore power cable...
If the cord is the correct cable the cable is neither heavy or hard to handle! My only 50 amp cable is 40’ of 6/4 SOOW that I built. The cable stores in a three gallon bucket, along with a 30 to 50 amp dog bone.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
If the cord is the correct cable the cable is neither heavy or hard to handle! My only 50 amp cable is 40’ of 6/4 SOOW that I built. The cable stores in a three gallon bucket, along with a 30 to 50 amp dog bone.

IMO a 50A cable at 40-50' IS heavy and cantankerous to maneuver....every one I've ever dealt with and so thinks everyone I know. I think the question was directed at buying available cable options vs "building" something to fit an individual situation. You built your custom cable and are happy, didn't seem to be what the owner was looking for. As far as custom cables this comes to mind;

"Southwire's Viper SOOW portable rubber cord is used for wiring industrial machinery, motors and associated equipment, portable tools and equipment and temporary electrical power and lighting installations for construction sites"

Just wondering where RV power cable comes into that?
Old 11-24-2021, 05:48 PM   #15
dutchmensport

Mine is a 50 amp and my original cord is 35 feet. Sometimes, that is too short as the power plug is located at the very end of a 41 foot fifth wheel. I purchased another 25 foot "extension" cord to use with the original cord. I also purchased a shorter 15 foot regular cord in the event my original ever failed.

I've used the 35 and 25 together = 60 feet with absolutely no issues. And the 60 feet has saved us on several occasions when campground power was at some really strange locations or the pad was just designed really odd.

I've experienced NO issues with my set up. None.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
IMO a 50A cable at 40-50' IS heavy and cantankerous to maneuver....every one I've ever dealt with and so thinks everyone I know. I think the question was directed at buying available cable options vs "building" something to fit an individual situation. You built your custom cable and are happy, didn't seem to be what the owner was looking for. As far as custom cables this comes to mind;

"Southwire's Viper SOOW portable rubber cord is used for wiring industrial machinery, motors and associated equipment, portable tools and equipment and temporary electrical power and lighting installations for construction sites"

Just wondering where RV power cable comes into that?
Well it meets the conductor size and the insulation is as good if not better than the thermoplastic used in standard RV power cords.
I like the fact that it is easy to deal with hot or cold. There are factory made 50 amp cables that use lighter, and more flexible jackets, but they are very pricey.

We full time and heat with electric using RV Comfort systems "Cheap Heat" we use 5,000 watts to heat when on a 240 volt 50 amp connection and don't have any issues. The heating unit is on a 240 volt 30 amp circuit, and breaker.

Once again 40' in a 3 gallon bucket. The hand in the second picture is for scale, not to hold the cable down. it is a lot lighter than thermoplastic cable.

Old 11-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #17
Camp CA

Two 25 ft 50 amp cords AND a 50 amp to 30 pigtail or plug work for all shore power connections I have encountered over 17 years.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #18
tomd

25 should be enough, I’ve never found that to be too short. A proper size 50 amp extension will be very heavy. RV power source distance depends on where plugs are, not trailer lengths.To charge battery, maintenance charge you can use smaller ext cord gauge with adaptors, if really needed far from power, then run 12v battery power in trailer. No large loads!
I do that if parked by house if no RV 50 amp supply. Ext cord has 15a breaker for safety.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #19
CaptnJohn

I've had a 43' and 3 at 41'. Long ago I found a 20' extension on sale at CW and bought it. That was many years ago. I keep it in the storage bay but it has never been used! Only one of my Montanas have had a connection on the side, all the rest at the rear.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #20
n1282x

Power cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerJoe View Post
Hi all
Perhaps someone in this group could enlighten me. We just purchased a new to us 2016 43' Fuzion toy Hauler. I came with a 25' power cord. This to me is totally inadequate for the size of the rig. I'm trying to figure if I should invest in a longer power cord, or just purchase a 50amp extension cord. I figure 75' would be much more adequate in any situation. Not sure how much power an extension cord would loose.
If you are just traveling around the country, handling the big thick 50 amp cord becomes a real pain in the ***. If you're not using two air conditioners you can get by with considerably less power. Find yourself the twist lock 50 amp to 15 amp adapter. For a quick overnight stay you can easily power your entire coach off of a 15 amp outlet and not have to worry about the struggling with the thick 50 amp cord
n1282x is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power