Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2021, 04:11 AM   #1
Scttw

What would a "Never been used" 14' power awning be worth?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this.

When we purchased our Alpine 3620FL, it came with a 14' power awning but I had it "Not Installed", because you can see from my avatar that we have a room on our full time parked rig.

The awning I wrapped in white bail wrap and placed over the axles underneath and obviously has never been used.

Just curious what it might be worth if I decided to sell it. The trailer is NEVER leaving this location, lets get that straight.

Thanks in advance.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:37 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

A 2014 ( per your sig) 14' awning? Brand ???? IMHO it likely wouldn't be worth much. What condition is that awning fabric after being wrapped up under the trailer for 7 or 8 years? It very well could be a critter condo at this point.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:54 AM   #3
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
A 2014 ( per your sig) 14' awning? Brand ???? IMHO it likely wouldn't be worth much. What condition is that awning fabric after being wrapped up under the trailer for 7 or 8 years? It very well could be a critter condo at this point.
Thanks. BTW, I got married pretty close to you (Cecil County)

Lets assume it's in mint condition as it likely is! I guess it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Maybe I'll do some searches online or ask my dealer what the new price would be and go from there. As far as brand, no idea, whatever Keystone purchased at the time I guess. It could be worth more 2nd hand as the years progress as well. People with a 14' awning around that era will be wearing out shortly.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 09-09-2021, 05:09 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Is it just the fabric and roller tube? The arms are the expensive part of an awning. You can get 14’ fabric for about $200.00.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:18 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Humidity under a trailer is going to be a problem. It has likely corroded the "internals" on the electric motor. Wiring has also been exposed to that same humidity as has the fabric and the unpainted metal parts. There's no telling what might have "set up housekeeping" in the rolled up fabric and possibly used chewed bits of that fabric to help soften the sleeping space....

I'd first get that "new condition awning" out from under the trailer, find a clean, dry place to unroll it and inspect it to see if it's still as "pristine as it was when it got stacked under the trailer 8 years ago.....

It may well still be in "like new condition" and worth selling at a premium price, or it may be corroded, flaking paint, frozen/burned out motor on a roller tube of dry-rotted fabric.... In that case, who knows what someone might offer to take it off your hands....

See what you "really have" and go from there.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:46 AM   #6
jasin1

Unless it was stored in a dry garage or warehouse in original packaging I don’t think it could be considered mint. It’s a big pita to test it unless you mount it to the side of a shed and temporarily wire it so you can check the operation and condition. Have you considered mounting it to the back of your fifth wheel to help keep the slides cool on sunny days? Or for a back patio on the rig?

The dampness under a trailer can wreak havoc on anything stored there…I’m in the hvac field,the flexible ductwork under mobile homes with skirting around them tends to rot out after so many years. I imagine under your fifth wheel would be the same. Especially since your pictures show a wooded site with grass right up to the trailer..I’d be really surprised if it’s anything close to mint. Good luck selling it though I could be wrong
Old 09-09-2021, 05:53 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Elkton, MD in Ceicel County was once "The honeymoon capitol" as MD didn’t require blood tests when the surrounding states did. Elcton is right in the border with Deleware so it was the closest town from points east and north.

Back to the awning, the biggest issue I beleive will be the age and the storage conditions. A dark, damp, unconditiined environment would not be as desirable as setting in the rafters of a garage or in a temp controlled storage unit. I'd pull it out and note the make and model. Typically the info is on a sticker on the awning tube. If possible check to see if the motor still works. You could do a search on the make/ model to get an idea on new costs.

With the costs of shipping likely limiting the possibility of a local sale only you might want to consider parting it out. If the arms were not installed I'd think the arms and motor might be a more profitable sale than the ujit as a whole.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:03 AM   #8
jasin1

On a side note if you have a permanent site and it’s never going to leave ( unless it’s not allowed for some reason). I’d build a rv carport or pole barn roof over the entire rig to preserve the trailer indefinitely…leave enough clearance for the ac units…never have to worry about roof leaks or fading of the graphics
Old 09-09-2021, 06:57 AM   #9
Scttw

Thanks everyone.

I sell stretch wrap for a living, so to say I put an entire 100LB roll of 120Guage wrap on the unit, and nothing is getting through, would be an understatement. I don't think we have to pontificate the condition, I know it's pristine. Only under there for 6 years as well, not 8.

All components are there that came with the unit. Including install brackets and hardware.

No need to reinstall it, I have a 40 foot roof over the entire front end, and roofs over my 3 rear tip-outs as well

My original question was of course based on if it really is in mint when I unwrap it. I should have clarified that.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 09-09-2021, 07:00 AM   #10
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Elkton, MD in Ceicel County was once "The honeymoon capitol" as MD didn’t require blood tests when the surrounding states did. Elcton is right in the border with Deleware so it was the closest town from points east and north.
Yeah, I'm familiar with that - I think it was before Vegas actually.

I got married at the "Tree" at Cecil County Dragway!
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 09-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #11
jasin1

Really is a nice setup you have there! Looks like a vacation paradise
Old 09-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #12
dutchmensport

I don't think it's worth very much. Place it in the yard in front of the camper, and put a sign on it that say, "Make an offer". If you get anything above $20.00 you're doing good.

Tags
awning, power