Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
gemyrae

Tire wear=Alignment or Bent Alxe???

I have 2010 Hideout 26B. After about 1000 miles noticed right rear tire showed unusual ware on the outer edge, but all the other tires appeared to be wearing evenly. I changed angle of TV by adding longer drop hitch, added heavier load leveling bars and flipped tire on the rim so the wear was on the inside and good tread on outside, in order to see if changing the way i tow solved the problem. Pulled another 1000 miles and wear pattern still exists, and now the front right tire shows same wear pattern, on the outer edge. The front right and left rear shows even wear. I did attempt to take a tape measure to it to see if it is out of alignment and it "appears" to be 3/4" out of alignment. But I am not positive of my findings. Have called a shop in Ft.Worth that states they do trailer alignment for $125 per axle, but am not sure what this entails. Do they cut off hangers and move them>? do they bend axles back into alignment>? Can cutting off hangers and re-welding them weaken the frame?

Anyone out there that has had a similar issue, please help... I am mechanically inclined but not a genius. Would just like some re-assurance Im not the only one with this problem....

thanks.
gemyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Uneven tire wear can be a result of a number of causes but if your tires are worn on only one side it is usually a result of loss of camber, over loading or an alignment issue. I would suspect that it could be an alignment problem. Uneven tire wear is not uncommon as the suspension system, axles and the tires themselves that are found on most, if not all RV's that come from the factories, are of marginal quality. At best, they might meet the minimum safety requirements but that would be it.
I would bet that the hangers, brackets, bolts and bushings found on your suspension are worn and probably need replacing already. The flimsy, thin nylon bushings, for example, won't last long with normal, yearly driving. I replaced all of my components after only 2 years.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
jje1960

Tire wear

On our last TT, we burned a set of new tires in the first year. Came out it was the axles, they replaced both of them under warranty, problem solved. Was definitely a QC issue, many other problems on the unit were same... QC.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote