Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #21
NH_Bulldog

The short-sighted people who believe EV’s are the future have obviously never thought about the horrendous environmental impact of mining the toxic lithium that makes up the batteries in those vehicles or the environmental impact of disposing of those batteries. Then we can discuss what countries produce the raw lithium, who makes the batteries and how the power is generated to support the recharge stations (coal, nuclear, natural gas, diesel, etc).......the reality is that EV’s are worse than gas or diesel vehicles for our planet.

Remember when bio-diesel was such a big deal? It was not economically feasible to produce without government subsidies, and so much corn was required that it impacted food production. But it gave everyone that warm and fuzzy feeling to use it despite the fact that everything used to produce it required fossil fuels.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #22
ChuckS

The most viable “long term” solution is never gonna be all electric... But.. with advances in fuel cell technology Id imagine a hydrogen water fuel cell system is near..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #23
jasin1

This will be what all our signature photos will look like lol...just different color combinations
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8688D48D-6C5C-4DB9-A40E-38F216AFF42F.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	31730  
Old 01-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #24
jasin1

Well I’m gonna make this a great year no matter what. Time is flying by and it’s almost February. Looking forward to getting away soon. Hopefully by middle to end of February. My son has been away for a couple of months working and we have his dog with us so we’ve been kept on a short leash as well. I’m gonna burn through a lot of diesel this year making memories and seeing new places.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:15 PM   #25
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Well I’m gonna make this a great year no matter what. Time is flying by and it’s almost February. Looking forward to getting away soon. Hopefully by middle to end of February. My son has been away for a couple of months working and we have his dog with us so we’ve been kept on a short leash as well. I’m gonna burn through a lot of diesel this year making memories and seeing new places.
Central Texas camping as I type.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210129_183240.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	31731  
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

^^^^x2. Things are weird and getting more weird. Told DW our trip home in April will be short and we are going to hit the road again....and again. Time DOES fly by....seemed like I just paid last months' space rent and here it is again. We've been blessed so we can go and do what we want, when we want. I'm just so darn picky. In the current environment I figure we'll run pedal to the metal until I push a hole through it or kick the bucket....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #27
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Central Texas camping as I type.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^x2. Things are weird and getting more weird. Told DW our trip home in April will be short and we are going to hit the road again....and again. Time DOES fly by....seemed like I just paid last months' space rent and here it is again. We've been blessed so we can go and do what we want, when we want. I'm just so darn picky. In the current environment I figure we'll run pedal to the metal until I push a hole through it or kick the bucket....
Sounds like you both have the right idea... have a good evening fellas
Old 01-29-2021, 05:42 PM   #28
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The most viable “long term” solution is never gonna be all electric... But.. with advances in fuel cell technology Id imagine a hydrogen water fuel cell system is near..
I'm with you there.
Different types of vehicles using different sources of energy is the only way to have any chance of sustainability.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #29
aaron_huber

Nothing in that article says that all of their vehicles will be battery powered, just that they won't have an internal combustion engine. The "waiting for my battery to fill up" argument isn't valid if you're pulling into a station to fill up with hydrogen for a fuel cell. Electric motors with ridiculous instantaneous torque for towing my fifth wheel sounds pretty good to me.

I'll believe it when I see it, since they have been talking about this stuff for decades, but if they come up with a truck that is better than what I have now and doesn't have a tailpipe I don't see how that's a downside.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:55 AM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_huber View Post
Nothing in that article says that all of their vehicles will be battery powered, just that they won't have an internal combustion engine. The "waiting for my battery to fill up" argument isn't valid if you're pulling into a station to fill up with hydrogen for a fuel cell. Electric motors with ridiculous instantaneous torque for towing my fifth wheel sounds pretty good to me.

I'll believe it when I see it, since they have been talking about this stuff for decades, but if they come up with a truck that is better than what I have now and doesn't have a tailpipe I don't see how that's a downside.
In 2035 if you choose a 2500 series truck to pull your 12000 lb+ fifth wheel ( based on your signature)then you will likely be “ waiting for my battery to fill up” because the hydrogen cells will be relegated to the heavy duty trucks. Probably 1 ton or higher..
According to the article reference to heavy duty trucks
Old 01-31-2021, 06:27 AM   #31
German Shepherd Guy

GM is a private/publicly owned company. In business to make a profit. They will do nothing to change that aspect of their business, sooooo if they do "phase out" gasoline/diesel engines I am more than confident there will be a viable alternative or they just will not do it. Electric is not the answer as long as there are no breakthroughs in storage (batteries). some form of ceramic capacitor, who knows right now? Maybe some engineers at GM. Maybe technology that reduces harmful emissions from oil to zero. Maybe hydrogen technology that can truly be used, heck maybe even cold fusion technology. In 1955 you would have found no one amongst the general population willing to bet that by 1968 we would have a man walking on the moon. If GM thinks, truly (and I have my reservations about their statement) that they can eliminate oil burners by 2035 then their engineers are already on to something they think is viable. And that would not be electric with limited range and long recharge times so that is not how they are thinking or planning.
JMO
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:35 AM   #32
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post

GM is a private/publicly owned company. In business to make a profit. They will do nothing to change that aspect of their business, sooooo if they do "phase out" gasoline/diesel engines I am more than confident there will be a viable alternative or they just will not do it. Electric is not the answer as long as there are no breakthroughs in storage (batteries). some form of ceramic capacitor, who knows right now? Maybe some engineers at GM. Maybe technology that reduces harmful emissions from oil to zero. Maybe hydrogen technology that can truly be used, heck maybe even cold fusion technology. In 1955 you would have found no one amongst the general population willing to bet that by 1968 we would have a man walking on the moon. If GM thinks, truly (and I have my reservations about their statement) that they can eliminate oil burners by 2035 then their engineers are already on to something they think is viable. And that would not be electric with limited range and long recharge times so that is not how they are thinking or planning.
JMO
Oak
Maybe they are planning on selling exclusively to tech company’s and government... I know we went to the moon in a short time frame but I can’t see them getting any kind of infrastructure in place in 15 years for public use.
Hopefully that is what it will amount to.
Didn’t they promise us jet packs as well by now? Maybe I’m worried about nothing at all. I don’t mind change and I love technology but I don’t like not having choices.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:45 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
In 2035 if you choose a 2500 series truck to pull your 12000 lb+ fifth wheel ( based on your signature)then you will likely be “ waiting for my battery to fill up” because the hydrogen cells will be relegated to the heavy duty trucks. Probably 1 ton or higher..
^^^ YEP...

The "corporate BS" being fed to the government sites and "shifted in pieces to the public" when pieced together as a "fragmented whole" (government reports and government talking points) "suggest" that hydrogen cells will be used in commercial transportation and battery power in "private transportation"....

So, reading behind the lines, it looks like the overall plan is to restrict hydrogen vehicles to business (where it can be monitored and controlled) and offer the "reduced performance mileage restricted" vehicles to the "masses" (where people tend to modify, chip and alter)...

Just like "not everyone can get a medical license" it will be "not everyone can get a hydrogen vehicle".

At least that's what I can "piece together from the talking points I've seen"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:05 AM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

If n fact it happens- how long before they quit making replacement parts for what’s on the road?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:22 AM   #35
Northofu1

For as long as it's profitable, then they will release it to aftermarket.
It's all about profit, bottom line.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:29 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Electric vehicles are not boing to be viable in my lifetime (and I certainly hope to live longer than 14 years). Battery technology is not there and won't be, distribution isn't there and won't be and just as important, the production of power to do all this isn't there and won't be.

We live in an area that is one of the leading producers of wind energy in the country. It's been well over 15 years since the first folks came in looking to find areas to place the turbines. They're still putting them us as fast as they can and making the landscape more and more ugly (better than the solar arrays they've started though). It won't be too long before the land that is conducive to wind generation is depleted, and, it only provides 15% of the power in TX, the highest in the country.

The initial, and continuing, hurdle is building out the "grid" to accept the newly generated power (when it is generating...when the wind is blowing hard enough). After that the distribution lines to customers have not been touched, and they will have to be touched a LOT before there's enough distribution to try to power an electric vehicle society - again, it won't happen in my lifetime.

The only way that will change is with massive amounts of money infusion from the government or nationalizing those resources. They can't reasonably throw money at it since we are not contemplating going into debt the next 3 lifetimes to spend our way out of covid. So much of the time ideology throws common sense and reason under the bus. JMO/YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:42 AM   #37
Northofu1

I would think the 650,000 vehicles across the big three should get the ball rolling.
No one here knows what Ford, GM and Chrysler really have in the vault, other than a get out of debt free card from congress.
The breakthrough might not even come from this continent. Europe and Asia are ahead of us.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #38
aaron_huber

Quote:
The 2500 is a heavy duty truck according to all three manufacturers (well, I guess technically a "super duty" from Ford). I trusted the salesman and close friends who were clueless about payload like many others and my next truck will be a 3500, not that my specific truck selection is relevant to this discussion.
Old 01-31-2021, 06:19 PM   #39
jasin1

Quote:
The 2500 is a heavy duty truck according to all three manufacturers (well, I guess technically a "super duty" from Ford). I trusted the salesman and close friends who were clueless about payload like many others and my next truck will be a 3500, not that my specific truck selection is relevant to this discussion.
I just found it ironic that you said you would be all for a truck that was more capable with electric motors and massive torque yet you probably are over payload on your current truck and could upgrade now and not wait 15 years. It’s none of my business .. I also had that combination until recently...it just seemed like you were being argumentative either “for your cause”or “just because” ....it was my attempt at sarcasm Hope you don’t take offense
Old 01-31-2021, 06:33 PM   #40
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
We, the public, take the "Tim Allen Toolman" approach when it comes to our trucks, and consider them "heavy duty", but in reality, a F250 is considered a class 2B light duty truck. A F350 is a class 3 medium duty truck.

Heavy duty trucks start at 26001 GVW and are Class 7 trucks such as the F750 or the C7500. The "bits and pieces that I've seen regarding hydrogen powered vehicles start in this class and are considered "commercial heavy duty vehicles".

Here's a pretty good synopsis of truck classes and GVW's. https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/truck-sizes

The reason for the "derated F350 GVW of 10,000 pounds is to classify it 2B for tax/licensing purposes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas