Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #1
Garbear2483

Pre-Delivery Inspection

Hello all,

We bought a new 2021 Hideout 28BHS and went through inspection yesterday. We did not test water system as the lines were blown out for winterization. I was told if we wanted to run water through it, we’d have to pay for the winterization fee. We have not taken possession of it yet. I’m feeling like we need to test the water system as it can cause a lot of problems if there are leaks. Please provide thoughts?

Thanks
Garbear2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! Where do you live? How critical is it to do a complete winterization? I ask because I don't ever do one here in the PNW. I make sure all the water systems are drained, etc, but I don't use the pink stuff...don't like it. Our climate here is moderate enough that we don't really need it. 35 years of trailers and never had a water leak due to a broken frozen pipe.

I agree that you should test the water systems. That's part of a complete PDI and there are many places that leaks can occur. After that do you really need to fully winterize? That's up to you. I would have thought that a good dealer would be more accommodating at this point of the sale. Have you signed the paperwork yet?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
Garbear2483

We live in Northwest Arkansas and it does get below 32 here. We have signed the paperwork and completed the walk through, but since it hasn’t left the lot, I’m going to request they run water through it. I usually winterize myself, but the timing will not work out with delivery schedule. I believe it’s $150 for winterization. I hate to put more money out. 😕
Old 01-24-2021, 08:10 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

If I understand you have already "signed on the dotted line" so you've lost some leverage. Of course, you may have a set period that you could negate the contract - I don't know in AR.

I would want them to check it...for free. That's part of what they're supposed to do. They may have already done it. If so, ask for the checklist saying they did it and their assurance all is well in writing. You don't want to land on your first trip and have water spouting out from who knows where, but, once it's in your hands you should be giving it a dry run to make sure it's OK anyway. Worst I've experienced are connections that needed tightening - you've just got to find them.

The problem will be getting back in the door once they've pushed you out. Trying to get leaks repaired under warranty, unless serious, are not worth the time lost and effort expended. Although winterizing is simple and pretty quick $150 is about the going rate where we live.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree with Danny. Dealership should have done a PDI before delivery, and most factory warranty registration forms require this checklist to be checked and the technicians signature.

Ask to see a copy of it, and if it isn’t signed by you and the dealership...OOPS on them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #6
Garbear2483

Thanks for the replies. I know we’ve lost some leverage, but hoping since it hasn’t left their lot we can still get it checked. 😉
Old 01-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #7
NH_Bulldog

So is it truly winterized (with pink antifreeze) or was it just blown out with air? Did the dealer do it, or was winterized from the factory? Was it ever leak/pressure tested? If the dealer did their job and will guarantee you no issues, then you can haul it away without too much concern. If they can’t make that promise, I would insist they do what’s right.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
So is it truly winterized (with pink antifreeze) or was it just blown out with air? Did the dealer do it, or was winterized from the factory? Was it ever leak/pressure tested? If the dealer did their job and will guarantee you no issues, then you can haul it away without too much concern. If they can’t make that promise, I would insist they do what’s right.
It’s common for the factory to deliver units winterized with the pink stuff, WH in bypass mode. I’ve lost count of the units that come in “no hot water” and “pink stuff” coming out of faucets....first clue that the selling dealer didn’t do a PDI.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Not only is a potential water leak an unknown but also the the full function of the water heater and toilet flush valve. I would make them connect it up to water, make sure everything works then winterize. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Have them show and prove all the water systems work, you check for leaks as they run the water, check under every sink, faucet, toilet. While at it you should be shown how the water heater works, in 5 minutes you should get warn water at a faucet. Buy yourself 5 to 8 bucks worth of rv anti freeze and maybe a hand pump for another 10. Winterize the water system when you get it home. You should learn how anyway. A full winterize should take you less than an hour and another 10 bucks or less for the anti freeze. If you have a air compressor at home that helps also. If not they are nice to have just in case. HF has some starting around 40 -50 bucks. Look at all the money I just saved you.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #11
behrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbear2483 View Post
Hello all,

We bought a new 2021 Hideout 28BHS and went through inspection yesterday. We did not test water system as the lines were blown out for winterization. I was told if we wanted to run water through it, we’d have to pay for the winterization fee. We have not taken possession of it yet. I’m feeling like we need to test the water system as it can cause a lot of problems if there are leaks. Please provide thoughts?

Thanks
I would tell them that you're not taking possession of it until your PDI is complete, and as far as you're concerned, testing the systems, including water, is part of the PDI. Can you not just re-winterize it yourself after your PDI?
behrmr is offline   Reply With Quote