Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2021, 08:30 PM   #21
Vagabond Betty

Belt and suspenders

Pulling a 15k 5er, worrying about bridges, bad roads and idiots pulling in front of you and throwing on the brakes is hard enough. Anything I can do to make the process a “bit” easier is a good thing. We’re entering our 10th season RVing and have never even thought about the front cap hitting the cab, because we’ve always had a slider (Pullrite). The only pain is the “Capture Plate” needed so the slider works (but not a big pain).

I have also not run into a person that believes their solution (Truck, bed, hitch, kingpin) was anything other than brilliant! We just bought a new RAM 3500 with puck and Mopar adapter, and put the Pullrite right back on it.

To me, it’s one thing “less” to worry about. I’m confident your final solution will be equally brilliant.
Vagabond Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #22
WisconsinPete

Trailer Saver BD5 !

No slider needed on a short bed with the new fifth wheels with the angled corners.

We did a back to back comparison between the B&W (non-slider) and the BD5. Same truck, same 5th wheel, and same awful concrete interstate road.

Big improvement in ride quality in the truck. We also had some people ride in the fifth wheel in the front bedroom over the hitch, and they were amazed and how much less pounding there was in the camper. The biggest improvement was over the severe bumps. I feel it's going to help this camper last a lot longer.

The B&W owner we borrowed the hitch from bought one too after riding in our set-up!

It's expensive, but to us it was well worth it, when we spent $60k plus on a camper and another $60k on a truck, why go cheap when joining them together?

The only downfall is it's a beast and it's pretty much stuck in the truck unless you have an overhead lift to get it out. It's Heavy!
WisconsinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:07 AM   #23
LT Dan

Wow guys thank you all your info!!! I had no idea that my current hitch would be able to be mounted into the new gooseneck receiver. It will be able to be locked in place without any modifications? The Ram bed is 6.4' not sure if that is shorter than your chevy.
Also I did not know about the demco auto slider being able to disconnect and connect at an angle. The ones that I saw on etrailer had guide rails mounted on the hitch itself. Etrailer also stated that you must be straight on. Is the plate you mount on the pinbox for the morryde pinbox?
LT Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:01 AM   #24
ewbldavis

yeah it should mount right up if original truck was just goose-ball style mount. If you kept ball, you're all set to test current hitch.

I've considered losing the Andersen for a Reese Goosebox - then I don't have a hitch to contend with at all .

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 09:13 AM   #25
Hbrown

]Here is the hitch in my 2018 dodge mega cab dually.

I use to pull my 2020 alpine 3711 kp. Only tested the slide once to make sure I knew how to use.

But in 1.5 years and backing into some knarly camp sites have never used.

I can jackknife almost a complete 90 without using and to me that’s hard on the axles, rims and spring hanger mounts when you do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7AE3B59B-2AE6-4600-A822-CF5D33578A09.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	31714   Click image for larger version

Name:	E4955430-46B3-4DEC-9A89-BB3D280782A8.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	31715   Click image for larger version

Name:	0747B6D7-E6B3-46FF-A5EE-477138B36628.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	31716  
Hbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:12 AM   #26
Rangerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Dan, Keep your current B&W hitch. Put it in your new truck (it WILL fit) and take your truck and 5er to a large parking lot and see how far you can turn without hitting your cab or rear window, SLOWLY! LOL. I have a 2017 Chevy short bed and a B&W slider hitch. Used the slider one time in the last year, and that was only as a safely precaution. Really didn't need it. I have a 2018 41' Montana HC and I can get pretty far past 90 degrees without hitting anything. At 90 degrees you are dragging your rear tires and putting a huge stress on your suspension. I find 90 degree turns are rare. Once you determine how much turning radius you have, you can decide if you need a slider hitch. I doubt you will need one. If I had it to do over, I would skip it. You can always buy a new hitch if need be, and easily sell your old one. I have an AirRide Pin box but It did not move me forward any from the OEM. You might have to wait for a new hitch anyway as suppliers are behind on their orders, so you might as well try what you have first. I think you will be fine.

Read this again. The times you'll need a full jack knife 90 degree turn are few if ever. Check and see how far you can turn and go from there. My Anderson will let me turn almost a full jack knife. That's been all I need.

Johnnie, Suzanne and Dixie Blue
2018 336fbok Jayco
2011 3500 Ram DRW 6.7 Cummins
Rangerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:25 AM   #27
LT Dan

Encouraging advice guys. This could save me lots of money!!!
I will wait till the new Ram truck comes in and then see is my current B & W 5th wheel hitch that mounts into my current fords turnover ball can be mounted into the Rams Factory gooseneck hole.
I truly appreciate all your thoughts regarding this.
Thank You, Dan
LT Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch