Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
jasin1

Towing in the snow

A lot more dangerous then I thought....towin a fifth wheel in a snowstorm
Old 12-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Just slow down, that curve had a warning sign that said 40 mph. On a video it is hard to tell the real speed. But I will guess more like 50-55, by watching the roadside pass by.
There appeared to be a short in the RV lights. Those were not blinking do to braking and no brake lights ever came on the trailer. Did they even have working RV brakes?
I noticed the blinking. I thought it was hazard lights.
I was going to look for a quaint little snowy Christmas village somewhere. It can be dangerous if your not careful. I think I will just stick to warmer places
Old 12-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Just slow down, that curve had a warning sign that said 40 mph. On a video it is hard to tell the real speed. But I will guess more like 50-55, by watching the roadside pass by.
There appeared to be a short in the RV lights. Those were not blinking do to braking and no brake lights ever came on the trailer. Did they even have working RV brakes?
Yes, I was not there, but seeing what I could of the conditions of road and lack of packed snow. I would not have chained up, just slowed down.
I will sum it all up driver error.
Edit: I posted #2 and was unable to finish my information and it came up as post #4 when I was done.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Yes, I was not there, but seeing what I could of the conditions of road and lack of packed snow. I would not have chained up, just slowed down.
Nice to have your perspective
Note to myself: have tire chains if planning on winter excursions.
I haven’t even given tire chains a thought until just now
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
JJaxon

I hope everyone is ok? Wow, that happened fast. I can see the truck turning sideways being pushed by the 5r, was the trailer brakes working?

Just 4 days ago, I told my brother I was going to Montana with mine in April 2021. He said get tire chains. He drives a semi in the rockies the last 30 years, said a snow storm in July can happen without notice - get chains.

Your video makes me a believer.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Nice to have your perspective
Note to myself: have tire chains if planning on winter excursions.
I haven’t even given tire chains a thought until just now
Not to add to the confusion (for some, not all RV'ers) with more than one consideration in a thread, but tire chains will add 100 pounds or more (tow vehicle and trailer chains = 4 sets), so that further "complicates" towing a 26' trailer with an Explorer and intending to only pack 200 pounds of clothing and equipment so the rig stays under the max trailer weight......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I think the "blinking brake lights" is juist the result of LED lights and the frame rate of the camera. Most LED lights flash but at a rate so fast that the human eye doesn't detect it. Sort of the same effect as watching some old western movies and seeing the wheels on a stage coach appearing to turn backwards.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Not to add to the confusion (for some, not all RV'ers) with more than one consideration in a thread, but tire chains will add 100 pounds or more (tow vehicle and trailer chains = 4 sets), so that further "complicates" towing a 26' trailer with an Explorer and intending to only pack 200 pounds of clothing and equipment so the rig stays under the max trailer weight......
“Tow vehicle AND trailer chains??
I think we could use some guidance on tire chains for rv’s
I had no idea that should be in my arsenal of supplies if I head out west next spring
Old 12-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
I hope everyone is ok? Wow, that happened fast. I can see the truck turning sideways being pushed by the 5r, was the trailer brakes working?

Just 4 days ago, I told my brother I was going to Montana with mine in April 2021. He said get tire chains. He drives a semi in the rockies the last 30 years, said a snow storm in July can happen without notice - get chains.

Your video makes me a believer.
Yeah! It was a eye opener for me I think they were all ok
Old 12-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
jasin1

I was hoping for Yellowstone the earliest possible for spring.Hear it snows until may sometimes ...I wanted to get there before summer crowds
Old 12-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
Dhuhn

That guy was driving way too fast for the conditions

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

This is just me but....I do not tow my 5th wheel on the back of my truck and head into a blizzard, ice, black ice etc. The combo is very hard to control in a bad situation, and impossible, read IMPOSSIBLE to control in snow, deep water or ice in an unforeseen situation. Things happen, and quick, when in just a motor vehicle. Couple that with a large RV that overpowers your TV; while you are traveling to "have fun" - nope, need none of it. Traveled many thousands of miles in a regular vehicle and have gotten to experience all kinds of "holy cow" moments....don't need that with an RV tagging behind me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:18 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is just me but....I do not tow my 5th wheel on the back of my truck and head into a blizzard, ice, black ice etc. The combo is very hard to control in a bad situation, and impossible, read IMPOSSIBLE to control in snow, deep water or ice in an unforeseen situation. Things happen, and quick, when in just a motor vehicle. Couple that with a large RV that overpowers your TV; while you are traveling to "have fun" - nope, need none of it. Traveled many thousands of miles in a regular vehicle and have gotten to experience all kinds of "holy cow" moments....don't need that with an RV tagging behind me.
Totally agree! BTDT!
My feelings is if chains are required, whether towing or not, I ain't going, don't have to, don't want to, can't make me!!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #14
JJaxon

I think I will have them in the spring. Weight and space are not an issue. I dont plan to head into a blizzard, but if one sneaks up on me I'll sit it out until it's safe. The follow car in that video, it was ice or freezing rain hitting the windshield, that's the worst scenario for driving at speed, towing or not.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #15
LewisB

I'm sort of in the middle between the "chains" and "no chains" thoughts. We always carry chains for both the truck and trailer - but I am REALLY reluctant to use them, especially on the trailer. I would rather drop the trailer in a safe spot and spend a couple of nights in a motel that to drive very far with chains on the trailer. I worry about clearance issues and the damage chains could do to our trailer.

With that said, I have been at the top of a pass in Colorado with absolutely NO alternative other than to proceed on in the middle of an un-expected and un-forcasted snow storm. You can't stop in the middle of the road and you can't drop the trailer! So, that is why I carry the chains - for emergency purposes only.

In the video posted by the OP, it looks to me like the trailer is pushing the truck into a jack knife on the turn. Too much speed? Operable trailer brakes? Who knows. For sure, no chains on truck. It looks to me like just chaining the back of the truck might have helped to prevent this accident.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:23 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Edit: I posted #2 and was unable to finish my information and it came up as post #4 when I was done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
I'm sort of in the middle between the "chains" and "no chains" thoughts. We always carry chains for both the truck and trailer - but I am REALLY reluctant to use them, especially on the trailer. I would rather drop the trailer in a safe spot and spend a couple of nights in a motel that to drive very far with chains on the trailer. I worry about clearance issues and the damage chains could do to our trailer.

With that said, I have been at the top of a pass in Colorado with absolutely NO alternative other than to proceed on in the middle of an un-expected and un-forcasted snow storm. You can't stop in the middle of the road and you can't drop the trailer! So, that is why I carry the chains - for emergency purposes only.

In the video posted by the OP, it looks to me like the trailer is pushing the truck into a jack knife on the turn. Too much speed? Operable trailer brakes? Who knows. For sure, no chains on truck. It looks to me like just chaining the back of the truck might have helped to prevent this accident.
Well I 100% agree with Ken when there is snow on the road SLOW DOWN. I don't know why people think you need to roll along at or near the speed limit in poor traction.

I have been caught like this in a sudden snow storm, slowed down to 40 to 45 based on traction, put TV in 4 wheel drive for CONTROL, not to go faster!
Did a lot of trailer manual trailer brake application on downhills. At the time our TV had a 5 speed manual, and yes I used my exhaust brake. In 4X4 with the manual it actually gives smoother braking on the TV than using the brakes. With the current automatic, might be a bit concerned with a sudden downshift.

Yes we carry chains for both the TV and 5er, the 5er's are cable chains, I haven't used them yet.
One also needs to "Read the Conditions" at of near freezing is the worst!

In the video it almost sounded like hail hitting the chase car.

While it was going uphill the semi going the other way when the RV skidded into their lane.

These are a couple of pictures from a return trip to the Oregon Coast over Hwy 26. This snow was a surprise, about three weeks later we went back to the coast knowing there might be snow, there was and needed to go around a spun-out log truck, no issues.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:52 AM   #17
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think the "blinking brake lights" is juist the result of LED lights and the frame rate of the camera. Most LED lights flash but at a rate so fast that the human eye doesn't detect it. Sort of the same effect as watching some old western movies and seeing the wheels on a stage coach appearing to turn backwards.
I agree, LED lights actually pulse on and off very rapidly and our eyes can rarely catch it happening, but on video it is very obvious.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:56 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

I'll give this opinion,

In my youth I would deer hunt in WV. I've been in true blizzards, whiteouts, and bad weather. But here's the thing, that was 50 years ago. FF to 2020 and now we have aps that link us real time to satellite weather imaging, Doppler radar, state police, state and county sites that report road conditions. I think in these times if weather "sneaks up" on you it's because you aren't looking.

None of us can do a accurate post mortem watching a video but I'll state my observations. I think the weather and road conditions are obviously not ideal. Are they "treacherous", not IMHO, certainly not impassable. Was the driver traveling too fast? Well obviously yes, at least for the rigs set up or condition and for the driver's skills to control it. While we can hear sleet hitting the windshield we have no idea the actual road condition nor the condition of the rig. Were the tires in good shape? Was the truck overloaded? What condition is the truck suspension and hitchbin? Questions that we don't answers for.

I will make this observation the vehicle filming. I find it disheartening that what sounds like a female driver with a small child would upset that child by screaming, then attempt to leave that child in a running vehicle on the shoulder of a road where an accident just occurred. To my thinking I would think "Is there a section of ice here?" I wouldn't stop at that spot for fear of the road condition and because common sense would dictate that opposing traffic WILL still drive around the wreckage, folks in the travel direction of the driver will also drive past. Traffic in both directions will be "rubbernecking" and therefore distracted at a choke point right where she parked with a small child inside. Not a wise decision IMHO. My DW is a nurse so I know the urgency she would have to render aid but the FIRST order of business is your own personal safety and not creating more casualties.

These are just my observations and opinions FWIW.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #19
jasin1

I guess it’s like anything else,prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I need to do the research for places I plan to go.
If going out west I’m gonna encounter mountains and no other way but over them as far as I can tell.
If I go to Alaska one year I need to prepare for that as well( extra fuel provisions?)
I’m gonna check out tire chain safety and add them to my supplies.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #20
rhagfo

Flybouy, I believe based on the title of the video that the woman and child in the following vehicle were part of the family in a chase vehicle.
I agree not the best place to stop to check on family. We full time just DW, me, and our beagle fur baby. We got rid of the second vehicle and all travel to get yin the Ram 3500 DRW LB.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing