Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #21
Larrystegall

Did you go to settings on TV and have it do a search for channels available? I have to do this at every new site for the DW to get her shows.

Any darn fool can drag a trailer down the highway. And many of them do...
Larrystegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrystegall View Post
Did you go to settings on TV and have it do a search for channels available? I have to do this at every new site for the DW to get her shows.
Every location change, every cable/OTA change requires the tuner to be rescanned. Even moving from one side of town to the other (10 mile distance change) will cause the tuner to "not be set at optimum channel reception"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #23
SC GT Yellow Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
The blue cable is for sat, it runs to the roof is you decide to install roof mount. If you use a ground mount Sat, you would just run the cable to the connection inside wet bay that is labeled Sat and leave the blue cable just hang.
Actually, with the KeyTV system, you would connect a ground based Sat Antenna to the SAT connector on the KeyTV input panel located on the outside of the rig. The outside panel will be behind a locking door and have two connectors, SAT and CATV. There will also be a blue LED that will be lighted if the system is working. Use the SAT to connect a satellite dish and CATV to connect cable TV from a campground. Don't mistake any other outside connections for SAT or CATV on the unit as they are outputs from the KeyTV system for external TV monitors.
ToGo Roadlink C2
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #24
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC GT Yellow Jacket View Post
Actually, with the KeyTV system, you would connect a ground based Sat Antenna to the SAT connector on the KeyTV input panel located on the outside of the rig. The outside panel will be behind a locking door and have two connectors, SAT and CATV. There will also be a blue LED that will be lighted if the system is working. Use the SAT to connect a satellite dish and CATV to connect cable TV from a campground. Don't mistake any other outside connections for SAT or CATV on the unit as they are outputs from the KeyTV system for external TV monitors.

Be careful with making broad and unfounded statements, because actually the KeyTv unit is inside the wet bay of his RV.......as you can clearly see from the picture he posted. Maybe not the case on yours, but he didn’t ask about yours, he asked about his.
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #25
CaptainDave

As of 2021 Keystone ran a blue cable from roof to wet bay so you can mount a sat on roof, when mounting sat to roof you just connect the blue cable in the wet bay to the Sat connection, no need to try to run from roof to tv.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
As of 2021 Keystone ran a blue cable from roof to wet bay so you can mount a sat on roof, when mounting sat to roof you just connect the blue cable in the wet bay to the Sat connection, no need to try to run from roof to tv.
Interesting. Where on the roof is the other end?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #27
CaptainDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Interesting. Where on the roof is the other end?
I guess the best would be to contact Keystone as I would imagine that each model may be different, as for my 2021 HC 331rl it is located under a vent and marked.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #28
chuckster57
Site Team

Thanks for the reply. I’ll put the information in my memory bank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #29
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Hello,

We just picked up our new 2021 Keystone Cougar H-T 32BHS and like most new Keystone models it comes with the Key TV system.

It seems pretty simple but as we are driveway camping, I decided to try it out on over the air channels.

The only TV installed in the living area only found 8 channels.

I noticed a strange unlabeled blue cable hanging loose in the wet bay where the Key TV module is located. I have no idea where this cable goes or what its intended purpose is.

Anyone have any idea what this cable is? Does it go to the roof for a satellite dish system which we don't have?

Should we have found more than 8 channels?
Key TV which is always on and powered has a jack for cable coax and sat coax.
Connect whichever you use.
If you are wanting over the air broadcast you roof antenna brings that down to the jack at the tv usually cable jack. In tv setup choose if you are connecting to cable or air/ant the auto search. It takes several minutes. Depending where you are you might only find 8 channels. Then depending on the age of your tv tuner it may not be able to tune and use any of the new digital channels, just older analog.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #30
Brantel

So to add the rest of the story to this thread.....

Last week I moved the 5er to have the tires swapped out. Returned it to the same spot in our driveway.

The next day I decided to do another channel scan on the TV and instead of finding 8 channels it found 66. Made me scratch my head.

Yesterday I got on the roof to switch out the main living area vent to a MaxxFan Deluxe.

After that ordeal I decided to watch a little TV and turned it on only to find 8 of the 66 channels working. (remember the original scan only found 8)

This convinced me that there had to be a loose connection. I pulled everything apart that was accessible and found no issues.

I looked at the Winegard Air360+ and to check the connections on it would take removing all the sealant and the screws and pulling it.

So I had the idea to pull the cover where the wifi router prep is suppose to be and when I pulled it I found the power and antenna connection wires zip tied to the cover. When I pulled them out, the TV started working again so I knew I had found the root of the problem.

I stuck my finger up in the little hole and could touch the black coax cable that runs to the KeyTV box. I could wiggle it around and it would make the TV come and go.

I then decided to take my bore scope and do some investigating. I found the connection was loose on the bottom of the antenna. I could see it wiggle on the scope display.

I could see that there was a larger hole in the roof decking above the ceiling where the antenna was capped down over. It looked big enough for me to get my hand through.

I enlarged the hole in the ceiling for the wifi prep just enough to get my hand and forearm up in there and was able to reach the bottom of the antenna and tighten the connection. Later I made a cover out of a thin white plastic disc. I screwed that over the hole and put the WIFI prep sticker on it so it looks like a factory job.

If I ever get the gateway router, it will cover the hole permanently.

So now the TV works 100% of the time without intermittent signals.

Oh, I can also confirm that the mystery blue coax does go to the Winegard, there is a connector that sticks out of the side of the antenna that is intended for a sat dish. This cable is connected to the backside of that connector under the antenna dome.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #31
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post

I looked at the Winegard Air360+ and to check the connections on it would take removing all the sealant and the screws and pulling it.

So I had the idea to pull the cover where the wifi router prep is suppose to be and when I pulled it I found the power and antenna connection wires zip tied to the cover. When I pulled them out, the TV started working again so I knew I had found the root of the problem.

You can remove the countersunk phillips screws out of the side of the dome on the 360+ on the roof, the base stays put. No need to pull it off the TPO. Just in case you decide you need to get in there from the top.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #32
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
You can remove the countersunk phillips screws out of the side of the dome on the 360+ on the roof, the base stays put. No need to pull it off the TPO. Just in case you decide you need to get in there from the top.
Boy am I blind or what. I looked for screwed and did not see any (from a ladder). Either I missed them or they are buried in the sealant. There was a ton of sealant around mine from the factory.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #33
Brantel

Well this was bugging me really bad since I remembered looking for screws.

This antenna dome apparently is not made with screws from the side like some of them.

See the attached pic and a clip from one of the manuals that looks like the dome I have.

I don't feel so bad now! The screws are under the sealant and the whole rim of the dome is as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.png
Views:	95
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	30766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0972.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	30767  
Old 11-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #34
Bill-2020

That’s not a 360+ dome, that’s why. That appears to be a 360 dome. The “plus” version is removable to add the router up top of you wish for 4G LTE.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #35
LHaven

Quote:
That’s not a 360+ dome, that’s why. That appears to be a 360 dome. The “plus” version is removable to add the router up top of you wish for 4G LTE.
Are you saying that whoever printed the clearly visible label "360+" on the dome in that photo was a Russian agent?
Old 11-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Are you saying that whoever printed the clearly visible label "360+" on the dome in that photo was a Russian agent?
Damned! The're everywhere!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #37
Brantel

Quote:
They must be using this model dome on the + version now as it is a 2021 with the 4G prewiring for the router and it does have the + label on the side of it.

I can imagine that the parts shortage this year may be why they used this dome instead.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #38
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Perhaps clearly on your screen. I’m looking on the tiny phone. The 360+ I recently bought on Amazon and installed to replace the Furrion model is a two-piece unit. This is so that the user has the option of mounting the optional router under the dome or on the ceiling inside at a later date. The 360 model that Keystone was installing for recalled units were a one piece 360 model that covered the Furrion 4G LTE and WiFi antennas (after the “wing” OTA antenna portion was removed). Making the whole thing a mutt of sorts. OTA from the Winegard dome, and wireless from existing Furrion equipment. I opted to remove all the Furrion junk and installed the 360+ version so that I have the option of adding the router at a later date of we decided. It’s also better system according to those who have had both.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #39
Bill-2020

Sorry - no 360+ anything on this end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9020EC7F-FCCE-44BC-B2E7-129FD2B9CD51.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	30769  
Old 11-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #40
NH_Bulldog

If you tap on the original photo twice it will open in a new tab and you can zoom in and very easily see what it says. It even says Made in the USA With Global Materials. I have an iPhone 7 with a small screen and I can zoom right in.

As for Amazon, buyer beware....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E8C0CA00-3F41-43DC-90EB-3CFE1A19F696.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	30770  
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote