Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Jfischer

Black tank over filling

I am fairly new to the rv world any help would be appreciated. After a short stay over the weekend, I wanted to get our black tank a good rinse/
Cleaning before it sits for a couple weeks. So I filled the tank through the toilet with a hose. After 5 or so minutes my daughter yells that there is water coming out from the under belly. We shut the hose off and looked to see the black plastic belly cover sagging and water draining out the side. It wasn’t black water it appeared to be clear water with no smell. I opened the dump valve to drain the tank into our septic tank at home, and then hooked up to the tank flush. I didn’t notice the belly to “take” on anymore water. The way I was backed in to get close enough to the septic tank I had a slight drivers lean to the trailer (same direction the water was coming out from under the belly.

The water never came close to the toilet piping nor did we have any water come from the roof of the unit. I was monitoring the toilet and our black water gauge that never read over 3/4 full.

The trailer is a 2020 raptor 423 toy hauler
Jfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfischer View Post
I am fairly new to the rv world any help would be appreciated. After a short stay over the weekend, I wanted to get our black tank a good rinse/
Cleaning before it sits for a couple weeks. So I filled the tank through the toilet with a hose. After 5 or so minutes my daughter yells that there is water coming out from the under belly. We shut the hose off and looked to see the black plastic belly cover sagging and water draining out the side. It wasn’t black water it appeared to be clear water with no smell. I opened the dump valve to drain the tank into our septic tank at home, and then hooked up to the tank flush. I didn’t notice the belly to “take” on anymore water. The way I was backed in to get close enough to the septic tank I had a slight drivers lean to the trailer (same direction the water was coming out from under the belly.

The water never came close to the toilet piping nor did we have any water come from the roof of the unit. I was monitoring the toilet and our black water gauge that never read over 3/4 full.

The trailer is a 2020 raptor 423 toy hauler
Welcome to the forum and I will wager a guess based on experience with something kind of the same. The system should be a closed system. You should be able to fill up to the rim of the toilet and not spill a drop unless you overfill. My guess is your tank is cracked or a cross member that holds it up has come loose, meaning the head came off the self drilling screws that hold it to the frame. That is what happened to mine and the vent line pulled out of the tank.Since it is under warranty you can have the dealer fix it. If you dont want the wait, you will need to undo and roll the underbelly back and see if you can fix it. I elected to fix mine myself. Really not difficult unless your tank is cracked. Buy a bunch of self drilling screws and replace all the nails with those. Much easier the second time you get in there.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:59 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

As you are "new to the RV world" I have 2 questions.

While "filling from the toilet with a hose" did you open the dump valve in the toilet, i.e. Did you press down the flush pedal or pull the handle to open the valve between the bowl and pipe to the tank?

Doesn't your blank tank have a tank rinser installed from the factory?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:09 AM   #4
Roscommon48

have no idea what happened to you but as soon as some folks start talking about there 'gauges' I say forget it. the gauges for your tanks will typically NOT be accurate. Use them only as a guide. Use common sense on when to dump or fill.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:30 AM   #5
Jfischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As you are "new to the RV world" I have 2 questions.

While "filling from the toilet with a hose" did you open the dump valve in the toilet, i.e. Did you press down the flush pedal or pull the handle to open the valve between the bowl and pipe to the tank?

Doesn't your blank tank have a tank rinser installed from the factory?

Yes I had the foot valve on the toilet pressed down while filling the tank, I did not open the dump valve until I used the rinser after the water came from under the belly. It does have factory A rinser installed.
Old 07-27-2020, 04:34 AM   #6
Jfischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Welcome to the forum and I will wager a guess based on experience with something kind of the same. The system should be a closed system. You should be able to fill up to the rim of the toilet and not spill a drop unless you overfill. My guess is your tank is cracked or a cross member that holds it up has come loose, meaning the head came off the self drilling screws that hold it to the frame. That is what happened to mine and the vent line pulled out of the tank.Since it is under warranty you can have the dealer fix it. If you dont want the wait, you will need to undo and roll the underbelly back and see if you can fix it. I elected to fix mine myself. Really not difficult unless your tank is cracked. Buy a bunch of self drilling screws and replace all the nails with those. Much easier the second time you get in there.

I planned on calling them first thing this morning to see how much a wait and time frame I would looking at, then figuring out if I was going to do it myself or not. If I end up doing it myself what kind of drying time would you give the belly cover and insulation?
Old 07-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
tech740

It was about a day Devore I got mine opened up and it was open another day. It was dry by then and I put it back together.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank