Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
H20loo

Macerator

I usually fill up my black tank before emptying it with a standard stinky slinky in order to get the maximum flow and hopefully purge the tank.
Will a macerator do as good of a job?
I can’t help but think of tipping a 5 gallon pail and seeing it fully empty as opposed to putting a 3/4” hole in the bottom. Maybe I am over thinking this.
For the people with pumps- do you experience build ups over the season? Any down sides to the pumps?
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Any "solid settlings" on the bottom of the black tank will not be "pushed to the exit by increased flow". So no, you won't find the same level of "emptying" with a macerator that you see with a "3" volume flush". You can "help it along" with flushing the black tank either with water through the toilet or by using the flush fitting in the tank. Both (buckets through the toilet or extended flushing) will help migrate solids to the exit, but I've found nothing beats a "typhoon/tsunami" dump followed by a repeat "full tank dump and rinse".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Last camper was a FR ultralight. Used the macerator often as the unit sat low to the ground. It became a habit to pump out the black tank, stop the pump, open the gray tank and let it back flow into the black. Then pump out the remaining. That and using the tank rinser and never had an issue.

On current unit I have a twist on valve at the discharge (along with a 4" clear section). I do the same procedure in letting the black drain, close the valve and open gray to backflush then drain. This has worked well for many years.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #4
B-O-B'03

So far I have only used the macerator at home either to pump out what is in the tanks from our last trip or when the camper is used for a guest suite.

While the flow rate is definitely not as fast as the slinky, it is still pretty good and I make sure the black tank it completely full before using it. I also run the tank flush to fill it up again and have the clear elbow between the dump valve and the pump, so I can see what is going on.

I am amazed at what people flush, even though they are "sternly" warned "nothing but toilet paper"... the macerator has consumed notebook paper and wet wipes with no issues (not sure how the sheet of paper got in there>

I have also considered using it with the blue tank, in the bed of the truck, if we are ever dry camping and need to dump (seems easier that trying to drag it, full of crap, to who knows where there is a dump station and hoisting it up).

At the house the camper shed/pad is about 5 feet lower than the toilet in the guest bath and I use a 100 foot 3/4 hose from the pump... no problems, it pumps out the 30 gallon tank in 10 minutes or less... pumping faster than the tank flush puts water in.

I am very glad I have it.

-Brian
Old 03-06-2020, 03:56 AM   #5
KRumm

I would KISS...

Take a look at installing this... Cheap & Easy DIY...
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T...ank+fl&sr=8-4#
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote