Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
Hshorten1

Detectors

I’m confused about my carbon monoxide and fire detectors. I’m told if my 12v battery goes low, it can set off the alarms. When I disconnect and remove my battery to store RV in winter, won’t that set off alarms?
Hshorten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your smoke alarm (fire) is most likely powered by a 9V battery inside it. You should replace it each spring.

The carbon monoxide/ propane detector is powered by the coach’s 12V system. If you disconnect the power, then the detector isn’t being powered and can’t go off. Some brands of propane detectors will beep at low voltage (11.3VDC).

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

As I understand it, the CO sensor works off the 12V system. The smoke detectors operate from an internal 9V battery and possibly the 120V AC. When I winterized my rig, I pulled the 9V battery from the smoke detector and I disconnected my 12V battery completely.
I do know that when the 12V battery goes flat, or after it has been disconnected, it takes a few minutes for the CO detector to come back online. But without power, neither of the sensors will trigger.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Hshorten1

Thank you for clearing that up. I do have a battery disconnect but I’m hearing some people say, even if I use that, the carbon monoxide detector isn’t disconnected and will slowly drain the battery and then alert. Is that how you understand disconnects also?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hshorten1 View Post
Thank you for clearing that up. I do have a battery disconnect but I’m hearing some people say, even if I use that, the carbon monoxide detector isn’t disconnected and will slowly drain the battery and then alert. Is that how you understand disconnects also?
The safety devices that are connected to the battery are NOT disconnected with the battery cutoff switch (as wired from the factory). Their purpose is to protect you, even in the event you attempt to bypass them. While we could "argue the virtues of that decision" all we'd do is waste our breath. The factory wires them to remain powered unless the battery is entirely removed from the circuit, so with the factory wiring, the only way to disconnect the LPG monitor and the CO monitor is to disconnect the battery terminals. Some owners have added a second battery cutoff switch or rewired the existing switch so it accomplishes the same thing, complete removal of the battery from the system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

The alarm won’t “alert” as the battery goes dead, it will chirp until it runs out of power.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #7
Steveo57

You really need to look at your particular setup as far as the detectors go. I have a 2018 Cougar 22RBS trailer and the smoke detector and CO detector are both powered by their own 9 volt battery. The propane leak detector is powered by the 12 volt system and it does get disconnected by my battery disconnect switch.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
Hshorten1

Thank you all for the information.