Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
GMcKenzie

20 to 30 amp adapter with grounding?

Just wondering if anyone has seen an adapter I could use on my Honda generator to provide a proper ground and go from 20 to 30 amp plug. Links to DIY ideas are good.

I've got a Honda EU2000 and a Progressive Industries box that I have to disable to use the generator.

I've seen plans to build the adapter, but it's 20 amps on both ends. I'm just thinking it would be nice to have one plug that does both is all.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
Snoking

Take a three prong male plug(cord cap) and put a jumper between the neutral and ground terminal. Plug it into one of the generators two outlet and the 20 to 30 amp dog bone into the other. It will allow the PI to power up normally. Chris
Old 05-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
Gord

So what you want is a 20A plug to fit into the 20A receptacle on your generator and a 30A receptacle for your trailer cord to plug into and a piece of 3conductor #12AWG cabtire (extension cord) to go between the 20A plug and 30A receptacle. Should be available from most electrical suppliers or possibly Princess Auto.

EDIT:

Or you could buy one of these
https://www.amazon.ca/Conntek-Genera.../dp/B003I2RZRS

EDIT 2

Customer1 post gives an excellent explanation of the Honda floating neutral. So if you decide to build your own dog bone you could include the jumper in either the plug or receptacle of the dog bone. The only caveat to this is that the dog bone can only be used with the Honda generator. Do not use it with a 20A shore power outlet or you will end up with 2 points of bonding and issues that are detailed in the article.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Logan X

I have the exact same set up. Like Chris said, I bought an outlet and added a wire inside of the outlet connecting the ground and the neutral (white). I plug that into the generator and it tricks the EMS into thinking that the generator is grounded. I plug the shore power cord into a different outlet on the generator. It’s called a bonded plug.

I don’t know if there is a way to incorporate that into an adapter for 30 amp.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Customer1

Here is an article that will explain the EMS issue while using the generator. You need to bond the neutral and ground as Snoking indicated.

http://noshockzone.org/generator-gro...utral-bonding/
Customer1 is offline   Reply With Quote