Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
edd210

AC or Dehumidifier

I have a 2017 Coleman 192RD TT and I live in South Florida. I am thinking I should have a dehumidifier running constantly in the camper but I also thought it might be okay to just run the AC. I know that standard home AC's are made to run constantly but I don't know if camper AC's will hold up to constant use.
I would appreciate any input.
edd210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Kind of depends on what you mean by "constantly". Are you living in the trailer? That trailer appears to be fairly small... if you are NOT living in the trailer full time, then are you thinking about running the A/C all the time; such as it is parked somewhere with a 30A service available? If you are not in the trailer full time, seems the dehumidifier would be a better option if you are in a high humidity area but the A/C will not wear out all that quickly. The upper part has the moving parts (the part on roof) and they are not really all that expensive; probably $500-700 and not hard to replace (just kind of heavy getting it on the roof).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

South FL? Dehumidifier? No doubt.

When we started staying there for the winter we thought we could manipulate the humidity by the AC etc. Not so. Particularly if we had to use the non ducted AC in the bedroom. We tried any number of combos doing things but humidity was an issue - we come from W TX so 70% humidity does not work.

After reading, studying and evaluating, a nice dehumidifier seemed to be the answer. It WAS! We love it and wouldn't go to FL or the deep south without it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:51 AM   #4
edd210

Thanks

Both answers were helpful. It did concern me that I am only hooked up to the house via an adapter to 15 amps. I am going to go with a dehumidifier.
Thanks
edd210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

A dehumidifier is, IMHO, the correct choice. For those why might "still be on the fence" with their choice, consider that with a dehumidifier, you remove moisture from the air at any temperature. With an air conditioner, you only remove moisture from the air when the compressor is running. The compressor only runs when the thermostat calls for cooling, so you lose any "dehumidification" when the outside temperature falls below the thermostat setting. So, for an example, if you set your thermostat to 65F, you'll only be dehumidifying the air in the camper when the temperature is above that temperature. If the temperature falls below that setting, your air conditioner compressor will not run until the temperature rises above that setting. So conceivably, you might go for weeks on end with the air conditioner not removing any moisture from the air. And, if you set the thermostat to the lowest setting, chances are you'll risk the A/C freezing up on a cool, wet night. Once that happens, it may never recover by thawing the coils. And, to top all that off, the filter (a thin foam sheet in most A/C's) will get dirty in short order (usually in a week or two) and after that, the interior will start to smell "musty" and you'll have reduced air flow. Or, you could plug the filter completely, in which case, you may find it "pulled away in the corners" and all that dust is going directly into the coils, making for a "frustrating cleaning job" before the A/C works again.

What I'm saying, in a nutshell, is that the A/C is a good dehumidifier if you're present and the temperature is right for the A/C to run. It's not a good choice to be left alone for weeks or months on end while the trailer is in storage for many reasons, some of which I've listed above..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
GaRoadRunner

Would you recommend any particular brand?
GaRoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote