Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
SCFISH

Question about slide out

Can you tell me if it is ok to keep the slide out on our 2012 Bullet when we have it parked on our lawn? Or should we keep it retracted until we use it again?
Thanks!
SCFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Mikendebbie

slideouts in or out?

It's probably just a preference...don't know that there is a right or wrong answer.

In my case - if I leave the slides out while parked at home, the roof gets filthy from nearby trees and birds and dust from the agriculture nearby (cutting their wheat last week kicks up lots of dust). Additionally some of the rubber wiper gaskets get a lot of exposure to the hot west sun...on the other hand if I leave them out the tires are protected and in the shade. I usually run our slides in after we are done unloading or working on a project inside.

On our previous RV (Laredo 330RL travel trailer) I felt like it was probably better to not leave them out because I hypothesized the stress on the cable slides might affect the longevity of the system. I have no proof my theory was right or wrong - it was just a thing with me. This was the first cable slide unit I had owned.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #3
SCFISH

Keep the slide out?

thanks for the suggestion...I probably will keep it retracted...good points made

thanks,

Sue
SCFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

In or out, I think it's more a personal preference. If left out, there's more "outside surface" to get dirty and all of the exterior slide seals are exposed to UV degradation. Be sure to keep them coated with seal conditioner/UV protectant to help preserve their longevity. On the other hand, if store in the travel position, be sure to cover the tires (if under the slides) to protect them from UV degradation.

Keystone, in the owner's manual, recommends that the slides be "functioned" on a regular basis. If left in the open position, they recommend 1-2 times weekly. The owner's manual also recommends that trailers be stored with the slides retracted.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out