Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
FlyingAroundRV

Best options to order on a TT

G'Day all:

We are heading to the US next year to purchase a TT and a pickup truck to pull it. Our initial intentions are to buy:
A Keystone Outback 272UFL and
A Ford F-150 XLT (probably 2012-2014 year)
From what I've read, I'm thinking of having these changes and additions installed
-50 Amp service
-Wired for a second A/C
-Solar prep
-Better tires (eg Maxxis or similar)
-Linoleum throughout vs carpet in the bedroom and under the dinette

So, what are we missing here? What other changes/additions do you think would be good to consider adding to the trailer from new?

We plan to travel quite widely through the US and so the climate we will be exposed to will vary. We plan to travel mostly during the summer months, but may do some winter touring. We will definitely not be touring in the north (where they salt the roads) during winter.

Your thoughts are most welcome.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
ptooti

there were not many options when I custom ordered. I only got to pick my colour I'm guessing the rest would be upgrades on my dime
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptooti View Post
there were not many options when I custom ordered. I only got to pick my colour I'm guessing the rest would be upgrades on my dime
Yes, quite right. I should have said "upgrades", or "modifications" rather than "options". And I do expect to have to pay for them.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Not a answer to your question, just advice from been there done that. If it was me, I would look at stepping up to a bigger truck with a diesel engine. WHY? the 150 may work, you may be happy with it. The bigger truck will work and you will like it. Buy one truck not two. For the trailer are you always going to have shore power at night, if not a generator would be on top of the list.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 AM   #5
earlzach

If your looking at Keystone and might need extended season +. Then I would look into the WE line. They are made out WEST and targets the colder temperatures of oragan and Washington campers seasons.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:02 AM   #6
notanlines

"They are made out WEST and target the colder temperatures of Oregon and Washington camper's seasons.'' Maybe you could expound on that a little for the rest of us. I hadn't heard about that program.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:40 AM   #7
earlzach

Just to be clear I know for sure that the passport for one offers a "WE" Edition which represents trailers made out west in a western facility to cut down on transit cost and delivery costs as well as they offer a couple different features that satisfy the needs of people in the Oregon and Washington area for their extended camping seasons

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 04:46 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I would suggest tank heaters if you plan on cold temps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:49 AM   #9
Javi

As a note... the OP is in either Australia or Montana... not sure which
Old 10-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #10
Lee

Hi,

Awnings for the slide outs.... these will help when camping in hot direct sunlight to help cool the TT.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
As a note... the OP is in either Australia or Montana... not sure which
You know the song "An Englishman in New York"? Well, I'm an American in Australia.

The confusion arises because the forum software setup for this forum didn't allow for a "Country" field. This is odd, because I signed up to another RV forum that uses the same software, that did have the extra field enabled. So, because our RV will be registered in MT, I just chose that.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 10-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #12
6Five

I 2nd the "you need a bigger truck" statement above, to pull that 32 foot trailer. An F150 is barely adequate.
6Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #13
gearhead

Yeah, I'd get a 3/4 ton truck. You say "wired for 2nd AC", will the dealer install the AC or the factory? I would get a 2000watt generator; you never know when or if you will need it. Unless you get a great deal, I would just wait until after delivery to get the tires you want.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #14
Desert185

Along with the proposed tire upgrade I would do a wet bolt kit, two 6v golf cart batteries and LED bulbs. Tow it with a 3/4 ton.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Something that hasn't been suggested is the consideration of what you're going to do with the truck and trailer after your "saga". If you plan on selling it at the end of your journey, then buy what you want and enjoy it. If you're planning to keep it in the US for future years, then consider it an investment and spend a little more on the things you believe you'll need.

If, however, you're planning to ship it to Australia when you've completed your journey, then you might want to touch base with someone at an RV import center there. Learn about the rules for importation, the restrictions (both legal and practical) with the specific rig you're considering. Things like converting the 110 VAC system to 220 VAC, how the appliances (air conditioners <two>) will interface with the different voltage systems, availability of parts to convert the trailer to meet Australian requirements. It may be (and then again, it may not be) that you can't import that particular model because of something as simple as it's 6" too long and not allowed.....

Without knowing your plans, this is not a "don't do it" but a "be sure you can do it" kind of suggestion.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #16
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Something that hasn't been suggested is the consideration of what you're going to do with the truck and trailer after your "saga". If you plan on selling it at the end of your journey, then buy what you want and enjoy it. If you're planning to keep it in the US for future years, then consider it an investment and spend a little more on the things you believe you'll need.

If, however, you're planning to ship it to Australia when you've completed your journey, then you might want to touch base with someone at an RV import center there. Learn about the rules for importation, the restrictions (both legal and practical) with the specific rig you're considering. Things like converting the 110 VAC system to 220 VAC, how the appliances (air conditioners <two>) will interface with the different voltage systems, availability of parts to convert the trailer to meet Australian requirements. It may be (and then again, it may not be) that you can't import that particular model because of something as simple as it's 6" too long and not allowed.....

Without knowing your plans, this is not a "don't do it" but a "be sure you can do it" kind of suggestion.....
Just an update on progress so far.

We have decided to go with a 250 (most likely a Ford) sized truck as per advice here. We've had to up the budget a bit to get a good one with not too many miles on it and an engine that is not so likely to let us down.

There are no plans to transport this setup back to Oz. It is purely for exploring the US. We will keep it 5-7 years and then sell it all.
As a result of reading the posts in the forums here, I think we're pretty realistic about the quality of the trailer to expect and the level of service provided by the dealers. I'm pretty sure we will have issues and that I will have to solve most of them. Hopefully, we won't have major issues that I can't resolve on my own. And hopefully we won't make too many newbie blunders.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 04-12-2018, 05:29 AM   #17
Pull Toy

Just a thought here... but if you make your camper too "one off custom" it might be harder to resell when you're done your walkabout.

I would stay with carpeting in the normally carpeted areas. They are easier on the feet, and help insulating the floors. If your model is available with a A/C & Heat-pump combo, this is a must have as far as I'm concerned. Also an electric fireplace adds warmth and ambiance on chilly days.

As already mentioned a 3/4 ton, or 1 ton truck is strongly advised. For a few extra dollars up front, you will have more options if you decide to upgrade your trailer, or pack more gear.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote