Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
jsmith948

FIC Deadbolt Issue

Had an interesting experience while prepping our 5er for a trip and thought I would pass along the info.
Went to unlock the trailer's deadbolt latch and the key just turned 360* without moving the bolt. Tried putting pressure up and then down while turning but no joy. Sat there deciding whether or not to break a window. DW opined that the entry door glass was probably the cheapest to replace.
However, on our Cougar, there is an escape type fold out window next to the entry door. After studying how the window is mounted, I removed several short self tapping screws along the top of the hinge and was able to carefully tilt the window away from the frame. Using a long #2 Phillips, I was able to reach down to the bottom inside of the window and unfasten the folding latch bar. With the window out, I was able to push the screen in off its clips and then raised the shade. Reached around the valence and was able to unlatch the door from the inside. No broken window!
Now for the FYI - If you are blessed with one of these deadbolt locks, you might want to remove the inside door plate and check to see that the 2 countersunk Phillips machine screws are tight. The screws fasten a plate to the back of the lock. This plate is what keeps the little linkage rod that connects the deadbolt key and lever to the actual deadbolt in place. The screws were loose allowing the plate to move and the linkage to fall out. I guess our trip back east rattled the screws loose inside the lock. Tightened with blue Locktite. FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

When that happen to me, I was going to drill out the lock. But, I have 2 doors and entered the other door and rotated the red locking lever inside of the door with the busted lock. Than removed the lock and handle and drilled out the lock. Which was not needed as per the lock recall. I checked with FIC and got a lock for free. All has been good since.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:25 AM   #3
notanlines

Jack, funny you should bring that up about the deadbolt. That is EXACTLY what happened to us in Florida this winter. Brenda couldn't open the door to walk the dog so went out the back door. When I finally got the plate off the screws had come loose and the little actuator rod had fallen out. Fifteen minutes tops and all was in order again. At least we didn't have to face the possibility of breaking any glass.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
jsmith948

The fact that I could open the door from the inside indicates that the rod must have been at least partially connected - but the key just spun. After I removed the plate, I found the rod inside the door cavity. The deadbolt cylinder was replaced under the recall. It works just fine now but I won't trust it. If we leave the trailer or while towing, we just lock the paddle lock. At night we lock the deadbolt using the red lever - but, I have a #2 square drive and a #2 Phillips inside the trailer - just in case

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #5
the sodfather

I had a simular issue with my main doors dead bolt. Mine was the tumblers got all out of wack and would not allow my key to go in. Thank goodness we have the secondary bathroom door to use. This is going to be an opportunity to get both doors keyed the same. 1 less key!