Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2017, 05:05 AM   #21
bsmith0404

There is always the preferred/recommended size for everything, but in many cases one size up or down will also work. I just installed the Hartland ST LRG tires in my 5er, they also recommend they are mounted on a 6.5" metal thing, but Discount Tire shows that a 6" is also acceptable and that's what they are on.

Now if you want to talk people getting bent out of shape on terminology, go ask Navy vet what boat they were on.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
captcolour

Just to complete the story, I also got a response from the Director, Commercial Truck Products from sailuntires.ca:
"Bruce, the suggested rim width is 6.5”. The allowable rim width is +/- ½” so you will be okay with the rim width of 6”. The bigger concern is the pressure rating on your wheel. Typically, there is an 80 psi rating and a 110 psi rating. If your rim is rated for 80 psi, you can still use the S637 tire, however; you can only inflate to the maximum of 80 psi. I am guessing you are considering the S637 so you can carry more load than with your current tire which may not be possible with a rim rated for only 80 psi. One advantage you will gain is the increased speed rating. The regular poly-steel ST tires are generally rated for 55 mph. The S637 is rated for 75 mph."

I further asked if you deviated from the 6.5" rim, which is the preferred direction, smaller or bigger:
"Bruce, it may depend on the clearance in your wheel well. I would also check your owner’s manual for the trailer. I don’t want to recommend one or the other without knowing all the specification information. If it were my trailer and everything met the trailer manufacturer’s specification, I would go with the 7” if the 6.5” was not available."

I did find a few more potential 6.5" rims manufactured by HiSpec. Load rating implies 110 psi, but doesn't specifically say. Have to contact them directly to ask.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote