Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
Tbos

Roll up Tonneau Covers and 5ers?

Just bought a 2016 F350 CC long bed DRW. I'd like to put a soft roll up cover on the bed. I don't currently have the 5er or hitch. Those are about a year out still. With this truck do I need to get a low profile cover? They say the low profile is about 3/4" above the rail where the "normal" sits about 1.5" above the rail. Any idea if there are normally clearance issues between the F350 bed rails with the various 5ers? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
bitten

Trifecta folding cover works perfectly.
bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd recommend a folding (tri-fold) tonneau rather than a roll-up. This is the one I had on my long bed F250. It held up for 3 winters in Michigan snow and cold, never had a problem and never leaked. https://www.tonnopro.com/catalog/991...ck-p-2442.html

Current price is $250 with free shipping.

I bought the aluminum version for this truck (short bed) and although it's supposed to be stronger, I don't see where there's enough difference to justify the added weight and added cost. This one is 2 years old, still looks new and I don't imagine I'll have an opportunity to buy the lighter version any time soon...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I have the TruXedo Deuce which is a front bed section flip as well as a rear roll up. When I need to get to tool box, rather than rolling it up I just flip the front section near cub to gain access to tool box. Have had it for a couple years with no issues. Truck bed free of water.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I put this on my new ruck. Not cheap, but really well built and I have full access to my bed. When we move to a 5th wheel in about 4 years, we'll be able to accommodate the hitch with out having to remove it.

http://rollnlock.com/truck-bed-products

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2017 3500HD Silverado LTZ

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #6
mtofell

Love my Truxedo roll-up. It clears my 5th hitch by a few inches which is great for hiding the hitch once I'm at my destination. This is actually my 2nd cover of the exact same type. I ran with one a truck for 6+ years and when I sold the truck it worked the same as the day I got it.

Other covers are more secure for sure but for what I need and where I camp the soft cover is fine.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
bsmith0404

I like the roll ups, I don't see much difference between the low profile and standard, 3/4" isn't typically a concern for 5er clearance. I've had roll ups on my last 3 trucks. I considered a tri fold this time, but I also run an auxiliary fuel tank, which is probably the best mod I ever made. A trifold would not allow access to the fuel tank. From what I've seen, even the ones that allow the front to fold back won't do that when the back is folded forward for access to the 5er hitch.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
cardinal96ss

We have the Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover. Also not cheap but the DW likes the fact that while traveling without the RV the cover does not blow and flap around, since it has aluminum staves. I like it since getting it rolled up and down is fast and easy, and it doesn't affect the clearance more than about 3/8 in.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #9
kksfish

I have the roll up cover and have no clearance issues at all. I prefer this type since I also have a toolbox in the truck and the cover cover doesn't interfere with access! So if you plan on a toolbox keep that in mind.....
kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:57 AM   #10
xcntrk

With a long bed, any of the recessed canister style rolling covers will work and not interfere with the 5'er hitch. Although I'm guessing you need all 8' of bed space hence looking for above the rail roll-up?

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
Trifecta folding cover works perfectly.
I like mine.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #12
CaptnJohn

I have a roll up. 5 year warranty, no noise, metal braces, easy to gain access to bed or an aux fuel tank. Adjustable cover tension....

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
MattHelm21

I've had these covers over the years:
1. Adbrook soft cover with the cutout for the fifth wheel pin
2. Soft cover, manual rollup with the snaps(2 different trucks)
3. Trifecta soft cover
4. Retrax Pro alumunimum rollup

Every model was better and more convenient than the last. Also more expensive. If you can live without the bed space one takes up and with the extra weight the hard cover adds, you will not be happier than with the Retrax style. Absolutely the easiest to open and close. Can be locked in any position. Full open to full closed in as long is it takes you to walk 8 feet. Mine is the aluminum but I work with someone that has the polycarbonate that would be a little lighter.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:32 AM   #14
itat

I have had a Truxedo Truxport on my last 2 trucks and prefer it over the soft Trifecta trifold that I had in the truck before that. A roll up cover gives you full access to the bed and the Truxport isn't so bulky that it blocks your view out the back window which is important when hitching a 5er. Snow load and ice are not a problem either. The only negative I've found with the Truxport is that the frame sits on and covers much of the bed rails so that can't be used for mounting anything.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #15
Dave W

I have an Extang roll up tonneau that works just fine and is the same brand that I've used on the past 4 trucks. Inexpensive vs some of the roller and folding versions and looks decent. Downside is that it's a snap on type and you really have to work on it in cold weather to fasten it if you take it off for a while. It covers the hitch, rolls up when hauling the 5er with the cross bars stowed in the 5ers basement. https://www.extang.com/
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #16
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
I've had these covers over the years:
1. Adbrook soft cover with the cutout for the fifth wheel pin
2. Soft cover, manual rollup with the snaps(2 different trucks)
3. Trifecta soft cover
4. Retrax Pro alumunimum rollup

Every model was better and more convenient than the last. Also more expensive. If you can live without the bed space one takes up and with the extra weight the hard cover adds, you will not be happier than with the Retrax style. Absolutely the easiest to open and close. Can be locked in any position. Full open to full closed in as long is it takes you to walk 8 feet. Mine is the aluminum but I work with someone that has the polycarbonate that would be a little lighter.
I agree on the Retrax. BUT, you can buy the Gatortrax for about $50 less. Worth every penny.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #17
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I installed a Tonno Pro LoRoll soft top. Very easy to roll up and roll down. It all boils down to your preference.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #18
heiserk0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd recommend a folding (tri-fold) tonneau rather than a roll-up. This is the one I had on my long bed F250. It held up for 3 winters in Michigan snow and cold, never had a problem and never leaked. https://www.tonnopro.com/catalog/991...ck-p-2442.html

Current price is $250 with free shipping.

I bought the aluminum version for this truck (short bed) and although it's supposed to be stronger, I don't see where there's enough difference to justify the added weight and added cost. This one is 2 years old, still looks new and I don't imagine I'll have an opportunity to buy the lighter version any time soon...
Hi J. With your original tri-fold, were you able to keep your hitch in the bed of your truck and just cover it up when not hauling? Also, does the cover just fold up and latch staying on the front of the bed of the truck while hauling? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken.
heiserk0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Ken,

Yes, we left our Curt fifth wheel hitch in the bed and simply folded the cover over the hitch. There are two locking levers on the rear of the cover, fold it into place, lock it and close the tailgate. If you lock the tailgate, there's no way to open the cover (security) without cutting the vinyl. That's the reason we bought the heavier aluminum cover this time. With either, simply fold to the open position, slip the two plastic "click lock straps" to secure it in the open position for travel. We towed about 10K miles with the cover open and never had any trouble with clearance to the fifth wheel.

Right now, the "soft vinyl trifold" is on sale for $249 with free shipping from the factory. There was a $50 rebate that expired 2/28, so the $200 deal is over. Look around their website at the differences in the "vinyl covered hard" model and the "vinyl soft" model. There's about 40 pounds difference in weight with the added aluminum sheeted cover, so you may or may not want to spend the extra money and carry the extra weight. We were happy with the soft trifold, but I decided it would be more secure to have the one you can walk on and not cut to break into. https://www.tonnopro.com/cms/tonnofold#ford

ADDED: If you've ever had to try to "unroll and secure" a rollup cover when it's cold, you know the problems with trying to get it tight and in place. That is my only "criticism" about rollup covers. In a warm climate, no problems, but if you roll up the cover to haul anything during the winter in Michigan, you'll never get it resecured properly until spring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #20
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I have not experienced any issues with the roll up I have as was mentioned previously. Not saying it doesn't happen just I have not experienced any. I have rolled my mine up and re-secured without issues. But what I like about the roll up is you can roll back as far as needed. I couldn't afford the better aluminum rollups. Mine uses a very industrial strength Velcro and it fastens down extremely well. I do like the tri-fold but it did not seem to fit my need.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover