Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
Model A Driver

Is diesel fuel... diesel fuel?

I have settle on a diesel at the end of this year. While driving to work this morning I drove between a Racetrack and a Pilot Truck stop. The Racetrack price was $2.19 and the Pilot was $2.43 with a #2 by the price. Since I have never owned or filled a diesel powered truck before, is there something I need to know about which type to buy? I am between a Ford and a Ram. I also I read about getting bad diesel. Is that prevalent? Thanks as always for guidance on these big pick ups.
2000 Damon Challenger MH - Totaled by wrecker driver
Model A Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
chris199

I've been buying diesel for 3 years now. Have not run into bad
I would buy either. There is off road diesel but that's generally not sold at a convenience store or Pilot. I belive off road diesel would still work...I believe it's illegal to use in our drivers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
TAZ23

#2 is generally what's sold as diesel fuel. Up here in the North its blended with #1 in the winter as #1 has a lower gel point, but is still sold as diesel. As chris199 said "off road" is also diesel but state and federal road taxes are not added to the cost so it is cheaper. It is dyed red and illegal to run in your pick up on the highways. I don't know of anyone who has been caught doing it, but I drive a semi for a living and I have been checked several times while driving here in the UP and northern WI. They check by setting up a roadside compliance check point and dipping the tanks to look for dyed fuel.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
SLIMSHADIE

Stay away from off road diesel, its not worth the fines. I guess in Georgia you really dont have too worry about freezing temps too much. Diesel will freeze or crystalize and clog fuel filters, I keep an extra filter in the truck along with some Diesell 911 for the winter.
I would buy from either. Algae can grow in diesel too. But if you buy from a name brand place and a place that you see selling alot of diesel, you will probably be ok.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Diesel is "rated" by cetane rating, not octane rating. #1 diesel, as stated, has a lower "gel temp" and also a lower cetane rating. It won't give you the miles per gallon that #2 diesel will give you, but it will start easier in the "very cold winter" if you need to park your truck outside. Any temps above 0F, I wouldn't worry about using "winter blend" #2.

Off road #2 diesel is the same fuel as #2 for your truck. As stated, the only difference is a red dye (added to help detect its use). There are no road taxes on OR diesel. I use it for my tractor and lawn mower, but wouldn't consider putting it in my truck. It will give the same performance, is the same quality, but since it's not taxed, there's a stiff fine if caught "avoiding payment of road tax" by using OR diesel.

As for bio-diesel, it "supposedly" is the same cetane rating as "non-bio-diesel", however the few tanks I've burned, it didn't perform as well. Some states "mandate" that bio-diesel be added to all diesel fuel, sort of the same as they mandate ethanol is added to regular gasoline. Most "modern trucks" can burn bio-diesel, up to a certain percentage. In Ford's 6.7l diesel, it's a maximum of 20% bio-diesel blend. I have no idea how much can be used in RAM and GM trucks.

As for quality of diesel, I'd urge you to avoid "small, out of the way" stations that don't appear to pump large quantities of diesel. It will hold water and, in some conditions, will grow "algae" which is "murder" on diesel fuel filters. So, if you stay with larger, high volume stations, you should be OK without having to face those issues. As for paying an extra 30 cents a gallon at a truck stop, it's your choice, but for me (and I suppose most other diesel drivers on the forum) I'll pay "less" at a volume smaller station where it's cheaper.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
rnkburg

Depending on the age of the truck that you get you may want to add some type of supplement to increase lubrication of the fuel. Tractors and older diesels need the higher sulphur lubrication. Change fuel filters often as the fuel is getting worse and you will notice a performance difference as the filter clogs. It will leave you on the side of the road if it gets too clogged.

I run a 12v Cummins and a lb7 Duramax. Both get stanadyne or amsoil diesel fuel treatment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:17 AM   #7
Pull Toy

I have seen Off Road sold at rural stations quite a bit cheaper, and usually at a different pump. It is, as mentioned already, strictly for non road use, and in some areas, strictly enforced. That's why your #2 heating oil is also dyed red. It can be run in diesel engines, and obviously has no Road Tax on it. The price of Diesel has gone up quite a bit from the old days. It used to be cheaper than regular gas, but now has to be "Low Sulpher" and is right up there with premium gas prices, and no longer posts the cetane rating at the pump.

I have been using a Cetane Booster additive for about $16 a gallon at Wal-Mart. It is also available in Anti-Gel formula for winter use at the same price. One gallon treats 250 gallons of fuel, and I've never frozen up. The truck starts and idles better both winter and summer. The newer Fords require an additive in an automix tank right next to the fuel filler. I'm not sure about the other trucks.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:48 AM   #8
zuley

Not my intention to highjack the thread but another question about diesel if I may. A few year back while driving my GC with a Benz diesel in Dayton I was starting to get a little anxious looking for someplace to purchase fuel. Drove into a station asking where I could purchase diesel. The kid pointed to a pump that was marked "kerosene". Told him I was not putting that into my tank to which we replied we have people in every day filling their pick up trucks with it. To the experts out there what is up with that???
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 AM   #9
jsmith948

Not sure - but, isn't kerosene #1 diesel (heating oil)?
I know that jet fuel is similar to kerosene. The diesel powered tow tractors on an aircraft carrier are fueled by JP-5.
To the Op's question: Agree with the advice given. Buy your diesel from a station that sells a lot of fuel. The fuel we get today is much, much cleaner than the fuel I used to put in the 18 wheeler 30 years ago. Some of that fuel was just nasty. It was not uncommon to have to change fuel filters on the side of the road. Not a problem today unless you buy fuel with water in it. If I stop for fuel and there is a tanker making a delivery, I'll ask the driver if he is dumping diesel or gas. If he's delivering diesel I won't fuel there. If you ever run into a situation where the fuel pump is pumping slow, don't fuel there. The filter on the pump is probably clogged with dirt or water.
As for the newer Fords having an "auto mix additive tank next to the fuel filler", that is the Diesel Exhaust Fluid tank and is NOT a fuel additive.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
GMcKenzie

I'm always surprised to hear diesel is more expensive the gasoline in the States. Right now it is about 15 cents a litre cheaper than regular where I live. It is only higher than regular during winter months, and even this last winter it was cheaper.

Not sure why it's cheaper in BC.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
Laredo291OH

I'm also looking at going to a diesel truck this fall. Here in Ohio diesel is the same price or cheaper than regular gas, has been for about a year now. Right now regular gas is about $2.20 per gallon, diesel is about $2.15
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
nellie1289

2013 and newer rams can use 20% biodiesel, but your service interval is reduced on fuel filters and oil changes.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Model A Driver

Slimshadie remarked about crystalizing. My neighbor is a Ford dealer mechanic and warned me to be careful not to cross the DEF with the diesel fuel on Ram and Ford where the spots are next to each other. He sees it weekly and the bill is $15,000. Although I live in Georgia, the truck may see winter action north so knowing about the treatments is good. I really do not have an appetite to screw up a $55,000 truck. Thanks for aiding my learning curve.
2000 Damon Challenger MH - Totaled by wrecker driver
Model A Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
Pull Toy

The "Low Sulpher" rating is what is driving up the price for more highly refined #2 diesel. It is a more filtered version of #2 heating oil, minus the red dye.

#1 is kerosene, a more processed/refined version of diesel. Usually #1 is used in catalyst heaters and railroad lanterns among other things, but a total waste of money as a motor and/or furnace fuel. It is usually close to twice +/- the price of diesel.

Back in the '80s, before they came out with diesel additives, and cetane boosters, we used to add 5 gallons of kerosene to a fill up of #2 for a total fill up of 20 gallons in the tank. Winter Diesel is just a blend of Kerosene and #2 to cut down on gelling (untreated #2 has paraffin problems((gelling))at sub freezing temps. I don't personally trust the stations not to save a buck, so I add my own! Adding Kerosene or Winter Cetane Booster defeats thisgelling. As a last resort... if you do gel up, "Diesel 911" helps. It's kind of like rock salt on ice. But not a good solution overall, in my opinion.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #15
gearhead

Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel requires treating diesel feedstock with hydrogen in reactors to drop the sulphur out as H2S. Usually referred to as a Hydrotreater. Usually fairly high pressure reactors....2000+PSI. And usually fairly expensive to build, as in 100's of millions of $. And since nothing is free, the price of diesel is increased.
The basics...http://www.nacsonline.com/yourbusine...-gasoline.aspx
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #16
theeyres

Just buy what is at all the pumps as ULSD and you will be fine. Guess it is #2 but never noticed. Don't over complicate it. I have used it now for 7 years in my 2007 Chevy with no problems. Used to live where it got down to around 10 degrees and the truck never had a problem starting.

I know diesels are different breeds than gassers but in the modern pickups it is really just like driving the gasser. Fill it up with ULSD and go. Oil changes are more because they take more oil and I have had to change fuel filters more often but other than that I just fill 'er up and go. No big deal.

Only problem I have had is that I love MX and they don't yet sell ULSD in many locations so have had to forgo longer trips into MX. I won't gamble on LSD even though many people to do with no negative effects.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:59 PM   #17
Ken / Claudia

This is from a short test. 2 tanks of B20 and I was seeing 12 mpg as with #1 or #2 grade towing the trailer. But, only got up around 15 mpg empty. Just put normal fuel back in and got 17.6 mpg on a 60 mile freeway trip empty. Also changed the fuel filter and cleaned air filter before the last fill. That may also have helped a little.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #18
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel requires treating diesel feedstock with hydrogen in reactors to drop the sulphur out as H2S. Usually referred to as a Hydrotreater. Usually fairly high pressure reactors....2000+PSI. And usually fairly expensive to build, as in 100's of millions of $. And since nothing is free, the price of diesel is increased.
The basics...http://www.nacsonline.com/yourbusine...-gasoline.aspx
I wonder what the actual net benefit is to the environment as a result of ULSD compared to the cost and effort to achieve said mystery benefit?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #19
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Driver View Post
Slimshadie remarked about crystalizing. My neighbor is a Ford dealer mechanic and warned me to be careful not to cross the DEF with the diesel fuel on Ram and Ford where the spots are next to each other. He sees it weekly and the bill is $15,000. Although I live in Georgia, the truck may see winter action north so knowing about the treatments is good. I really do not have an appetite to screw up a $55,000 truck. Thanks for aiding my learning curve.

15k for what???? That is 5k over a brand new long block.

I heard one where the guy thought he splashed diesel into the DEF side when filling. He had it towed to the dealer, never ran it. They "REPLACED" the entire DEF system from the filler neck to the injection point because of "CONTAMINATION"....WTH is that BS?

I am here to tell you all....AND so it is clear...I am not a professional mechanic but keep a fleet of diesels running for a friend's company. This DEF in the fuel or diesel in the DEF really is not that big of a deal. Having to replace the systems is a bunch of crap. I have 3 Ford 6.7's that had DEF put in the fuel and 2 of them ran a couple hundred miles before I was told. All 3 now are at or a little above 200k in mileage and all are running just fine. Found the DEF never made it past the primary fuel filter.

The fuel in the DEF and having the replace the system....another cruel joke. Fuel floats on water, the pickup for the DEF is on the bottom of the tank. So unless the DEF tank is empty it is very unlikely that you have diesel in your entire DEF system. Also of note is that the DEF system pumps all fluid back to the tank when you shut the vehicle off. Drop the tank, dump the fluid, add hot water and dawn dish soap shake up real good, dump it, flush till clear, reinstall and refill with DEF.

So unless you just absolutely screw it up and get DEF past your filters there is no reason for complete system replacements. Same on the DEF side. Fuel can be cleaned up. Clean it up and reinstall. This is a total scam being run by the dealers/mechanics because of the lack of knowledge by most.

Sorry for the rant this just makes me so mad!!! especially when I see the cost they are charging for unnecessary work.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #20
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I wonder what the actual net benefit is to the environment as a result of ULSD compared to the cost and effort to achieve said mystery benefit?
Ehhh....I best not comment on my thoughts.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote