Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2016, 05:30 AM   #1
byrdr1

No newer truck for a while now!

Well I have been looking at them, after all the threads about the newer FORD trucks here and there. I had settled on a 2013,2014 F-350 CC long bed, SRW drive model. Found several with lower miles than mine at 245000.
BUT as the powers that be, have said "its cheaper to keep her".
MY 2003 7.3PSD needed some work these past few weeks. I had heard a noise that I thought was back brakes, Well it wasn't. It was the right front wheel bearing making the noise and needed to be replaced, BUT we checked the back brakes and they do need to be replaced. one phone call later and we had to replace the rotors too. So $750 later I am ready to roll.. NO so fast! SERVICE place called and said.
You asked us to check the truck out for other possible issues with me driving it Oklahoma twice this summer. Well you said it had some front end play. Front TRACK bar Bad, it needs to be replaced, have your noticed that slight oil leak? Yes I have, that's your oil cooler leaking and it has caused you to have some oil in your radiator and liquids. So You need a need new oil cooler and flush your radiator system and install new Ford Gold fluids. OH yeah while we at that you could use new radiator hoses too. OK no problem fix it.
Here instead of the road somewhere 1250plus miles from home. Another phone call later, hey while we are at it we discovered you have a leak around the water pump. It could be just the thermostat but we will have to see. Lucky its just a thermostat and gasket. can you see the issues?
One thing has lead to another and another, but with 245000 miles on the truck I knew it needed some work but a couple thousand I was not expecting. And to top it all off how long since you replaced/flushed brake fluids and power steering fluids? I haven't never done this. NOW would be a good time for this also. So with that, when it was all said and done and more was said than done. I am also getting new synthetic fluids in the front end gears and transfer case and rear end along with oil change and filter. All the replacement fluids will be AmSoil brand fluids. Transmission and filter were done in March, dropped the pan and new gasket too.
So now I feel much more comfortable driving to OK and back twice this summer.Towing the camper 2 times, out once and then back a few weeks later bringing it back home. I will miss my summer camping trips with the camper being out of state for 9-10 weeks but I can relax knowing my child will be safe in it on a nice RV spot.
The final word from the "power that be" She who controls the power and me!
Hey this is better than 6 years of truck payments. HAHAHAHAHA
BUT the mechanic who is doign the work told me my truck was in great shape and the engine was sound and with all this work and fuilds exchange, etc. He could easily see me getting another 100000 miles out of the engine and drive train.
YEAH!
Have a great day!
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
denverpilot

Congrats, in a way. You just went through (partially) the thought process behind us rebuilding the Dodge when we blew a head gasket on the Cummins a while back.

And she's right... Current truck pricing pays for a LOT of repairs and rebuilds on the old one. We couldn't justify new either.

Glad your ready to roll for the season!
Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #3
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Congrats, in a way. You just went through (partially) the thought process behind us rebuilding the Dodge when we blew a head gasket on the Cummins a while back.

And she's right... Current truck pricing pays for a LOT of repairs and rebuilds on the old one. We couldn't justify new either.

Glad your ready to roll for the season!
Thanks denverpilot,
a newer one sure does look good and I know that would last me until dirt time. but she is right and My truck is in great shape for an 03. garage kept, well under an attached carport since I have owned it, Paint looks good and it is clean. IT could use a paint job one day. the drivers seat and passenger front seat could use some leather work. tail gate is starting to rust at the fold on the bottom, it hasn't broke threw yet but you can see it every time I wash and wipe it down.
I guess we'll see in a year or two. right now I guess all this will cost me close to 2 grand. I have right at $1200(out of pocket) in it now and that's not counting the new labor bill and additional parts that were needed. Also told him to add dual steering stabilizers this will help track bar and steering.
so I am hoping under the $2k mark..So she is right maybe 4 months worth of new car payments....
we'll see.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 05-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
...so I am hoping under the $2k mark..So she is right maybe 4 months worth of new car payments....
we'll see.
randy

Man oh man, are you in for "sticker shock" when you do buy a new truck !!! At today's prices (and they seem to only go up, not down) paying 10% down and financing for 60 months, you'll be looking at close to $1000 a month. Your guess of $2k for 4 months would hardly get you a used truck in today's market !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I understand it seems like a lot of money but, really most of that is normal maintenance. I have done all of that at some point to my 01 and more.. Still better than payments. I do what I can myself to save money. Example, the fuel/water filter should be changed yearly or 15,000 miles. At labor cost of 45 bucks. Easy to do, just did mine again last week. Takes 10 mins after you do it a time or 2. Speaking of which, I removed all the fuel in the bowl into a cup, 1st time ever. And I found abunch of little black pieces of stuff in the fuel. If any of that could get into the engine. That could cause a blocked injector. I doubt the dealer would ever clean it out.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
chris199

What...you didn't need headlamp fluid flush?!?

https://youtube/9FefIzya7fw

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
chris199

Link that works...

https://youtu.be/9FefIzya7fw

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
Link that works...

https://youtu.be/9FefIzya7fw

Most of the stuff quoted is a lot cheaper at Kaleco

http://kalecoauto.com/

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris199 View Post
What...you didn't need headlamp fluid flush?!?

https://youtube/9FefIzya7fw

too funny!!
randy

JRTGH: I have been pricing them over the last 2 months. I can get into what I want for around $500 a month. I would sell my 7.3 out right. Lots of demand for these engines and trucks down here in the south. Young guys getting them and tricking them out. They have a good resale value around here. I found a 2013 6.7 dually lariat with 93Kmiles for around $32K. an 2014 SRW 6.7 lariat with 18K miles for $42k. so I was looking at no more than $25/30 financed.
there is were I am getting monthly numbers.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 05-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
saw dust kid

Just had about $2,500 worth of stuff done on my 2007 Chevy classic Duramax Allison. heck the sales tax on a new one is $4,000 in Michigan
2000 18 foot Smoker Craft Walleye boat
Restoring old gas pumps just for fun
2000 Mercury Marquie
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
saw dust kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
robo

Oil cooler

Its an easy fix 2 hours and 30.00 in parts
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 AM   #12
byrdr1

Got a call from mechanic last night the leak around the thermostat was the
?neck housing? it was cracked and needed to be replaced another $30 or so. no labor for that as it was already in process with coolant replacement. He rebuilt the oil cooler so that will save me a few dollars. he said the o-rings were toast. so now I am just waiting on dual steering stabilizers & install and its mine to drive again once he is paid off..
Dang......this keeping up a diesel sure ain't cheap.. HAHAHA
BUT she sure can pull a load..
as the power that be said, "its cheaper to keep her!"
I am not sure if she meant herself or my truck?
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #13
Hansel

Congrat's on getting a new truck, but for me and my 251K 7.3L I will keep for as long as possible. Did I read they are going too put the "gold" coolant in?? You should stick with the green IMHO, the stuff you had done seems all normal wear item's, I just replaced my up pipe's that where leaking, and upgraded my turbo wheel, and WOW it's like a new truck.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

My 2016 F250 6.7 is my daily driver. Being retired she sees about 3000 - 4500 miles monthly. All scheduled maintenance is done at the dealership. At 90,000 I start looking to trade so about when the 2018 models arrive. Usually just getting the word out gets my trucks sold quickly but if the ONE is found I'll trade. My rational is ~~ since I kept the same wife 46 years and counting I should get a new/replacement truck when I feel like it!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote