Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Blackrock

Rack on back bumper

Just picked up a new 295SRK and after weighing the rig I need to move some weight to the rear. I have a idea to build two racks either side of the spare tire to carry my two Honda 2000 generators. Each rack centered on the rear frame stringer. Any ideas if this will work and is that rear bumper heavy enough to carry 80lbs on each corner.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
gearhead

In short, no.
More...Assuming it is the normal sheet metal bumper that is just barely welded on, I would not do it. You are raising 2 issues that should be addressed. The integrity of the bumper and changing the hitch weight. The bumper "could" be modified with trusses and more weldment. But it is still a paper thin bumper. Plus, Keystone "may" deny a warranty claim if you have frame issues because of the modification. The other issue is the weight. It will not be a 1:1 ratio of adding weight to the rear and removing that same amount from the hitch.
So, I would say don't just hang that weight on that factory installed bumper. You may be able to find a receiver hitch that welds or bolts to the frame rail at the rear. I would discuss that with your dealer.
RV Receiver: http://www.curtmfg.com/Search?term=rv+receiver
The quickest easiest solution? A front receiver hitch installed on your truck and a cargo basket:
http://www.curtmfg.com/Search?term=front+receiver
Cheaper from Amazon.
Have you weighed the rig and calculated the pin weight, or are you looking at the "squat" of the truck. Looking at the 5th specs it shows 1480 pin weight. I bet you end up close to 2200 all loaded up and ready to.
You ever hang out in the Superstitions? I need to poke around there some. Infamous relatives: The Hermit and the Baron.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
Blackrock

Yes it's fifth wheel and yes it isn't the best looking layout I've seen. I am a pretty good welder/fabricator and have all the equipment to do the job but it would work a lot better going up to the base frame and building heavier back from there. They had a good idea going and gave up and just tacked on a sewer tube.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I wouldn't think about carrying 2 Honda generators on the bumper. If you able to weld a hitch receiver to the frame and; as gearhead suggested some kind of basket or platform attached to it that would be the preferable route to go.

The bumper is flimsy at best and I can just picture your Hondas and the bumper falling off and creating havoc on the highway.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Blackrock

Went back and crawled up under there and after a better look I see that this won't work without a major rebuild of the back end on this trailer. So I think for now the gennys go in the truck bed right up against the cab.
We are heading out this Thursday for a two night shakedown cruise boondocking up the mountain.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
gearhead

I took mine to a welder recommended by my dealer. Removed the factory bumper, welded out what was there, added 2 extensions on the end of each frame rail, and welded on a heavy wall bumper. All I carry on it is the spare and a bicycle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00645.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	10307  
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Bill & Deb

This is a post on how I mount my Generator and bike rack.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...007#post154007
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote