Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #1
nellie1289

Satellite/directv hookup on 336bhs

So I am going to take my tailgating up a notch and take my directv dish and receiver with me. I already know how to tune the dish and I have a satellite prep input on the side of my rv near the city water hookup. My question is what do I have to do inside to plug in my receiver etc. I see some funny loop thing in the bedroom too. What is that for? Where does my satellite prep line lead to inside the rv????
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The loops you see are where the receiver goes. One connection is signal OUT to the receiver and the other is signal IN to the TV. I wish Keystone (and other makers) would label which is which.

Just indo the loop and attach the coax to/from the receiver. I would turn on the TV, and then the receiver. With the TV tuned to the right channel you will get a picture from the tuner, if not switch the coax to the other connection. At that point I would label it as IN to TV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
nellie1289

Thanks for the info but this basically makes no sense from a design standpoint . You are telling me there is no way to get satellite to the main TV living room and that satellite input only goes to my bedroom where that silly loop is where A) I don't have a tv (yet) and B) there is no shelf or anything to actually put a receiver. This makes no sense to me whatsoever??? Couldn't I use the cable in for my satellite and run it into the main TV area them hook up a sat receiver? Sorry I have not looked behind the big tv yet to see what Is back there but I imagine somewhere there has to be coax in.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 10-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
nellie1289

not to mention, what directv receiver has coax out these days?
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 10-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I assumed both TV "stations"had the loop. Not knowing the configuration of the coax, I was basing my response on what I figured by your post.

The newer receivers are HDMI, mine is an older standard def with coax. So let's start over.

If you have a separate SAT IN located in your exterior docking station like I do then you will have two separate outlets at the main tv. One will be the roof antenna and the other will be SAT. If that's the case then your tailgater hooks to the SAT in, the receiver hooks to the SAT out at the wall and the receiver plugs into any HDMI port on the TV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
larry337

The loop is there because your satellite signal wont pass through the amp/splitter. Basically the loop is in line before the splitter. All the loop does is come out of the wall and then back in to the splitter. So you hook your satelitte reciever to the output and then to the tv. The drawback is you can only run that tv as everything after the loop would then be disconnected. I use satelite a lot. On my last 3 Keystone RV's my loop has always been behind my main TV in the living room. That does suck if they put in the bedroom. You could get creative by disconnecting the loop, then take the amp/splitter out of the outlet, figure out which line goes to main tv you want to use, and connect them with barrel connectors and what not that's a PIA. Or just run your dish coax thru a window. I know that's not what you want to hear. They label it satelitte input but it's really just the same cable input unless you know what you're doing. You have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the loop when you switch between satellite and antennae/cable. True satelitte input would be dual feeds so your not using the antennae amp/splitter. On my last RV I installed a satelitte compatible splitter on the loop output, I ran one to my satelitte reciever and the other back in the wall to the amp. That way I could easily switch between satelite and antennae, but I found it hurt my antennae reception as it split the signal in half before it ever got to the amp. On this one I just change the loop connection like an old fashioned switchboard depending on whether I'm using satelite or antennae. Yours may be wired differently but basically the loop is there to hook up before the antennae amp/splitter. Hope that helps explain it.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
nellie1289

Great explanations. I guess I will just play with it a little. What a terrible design. I mean really horrible. I have been wondering what this loop is for in my bedroom ceiling. I guess I know now. Dumb dumb dumb. Wouldn't satellite TV be a hallmark of rv'ing ?
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 10-09-2015, 05:30 AM   #8
brittsnbirds

Identifying Sat or cable

If they are not labeled and you know how to use an OHM meter, take a length of wire attach to your OHM meter and put in on the "continuity" setting. Run the wire out the bedroom window to the inputs outside the trailer. Then touch the probe from meter to inside of the connector (or outside ground of connector depending on where the wire outside is touching) and see if the meter indicates "continuity". If not change the outside input to the other one. One of them should register. Then mark them. Do the same with the living room.

Having an assistant helps.
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote